HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2023 19:15:08  #1

The Dumpster That Ought To Be on Fire

It's a dumpster, for dumping, because I have a lot of ocs, and I have a lot of ideas for them, and I can't draw all of them, but I can write a lot of them, and sometimes it's coherent, and sometimes it's just one giant run-on sentence that I placed a bunch of punctuations in and called it writing!

My brain is a mess, enjoy it or don't I guess! Tell me either way

Marsh
Pronouns? Surprise me
----------------------------------------
Mariah Carey DNI

18 || Braincells? No

April 26, 2023 19:34:06  #2

Re: The Dumpster That Ought To Be on Fire

((3.3k words. Mostly dialogue practice and a bit of characterization practice too. It's probably the longest thing I've written in one day. I just had to start with these two because they take up too much of my brain space to not earn fist entry in this dumpster pile))

((Working title: Best Frenemies))

Evangeline starts to worry around the time the small digital clock on her nightstand displayed four consecutive zeros. It's late, not like Oaks hadn’t stayed out late before, but usually she at least texts Evangeline about her spontaneous sleepovers because that’s just basic roommate etiquette. If you live with someone, you're basically legally responsible for part of their wellbeing and ensuring they don’t go missing without notice. Especially with someone as high profile as an Oaks

She was just about to cave and call the stupid idiot, probably berate her for breaking a roommate rule, when her phone rang loud and clear. The screen displayed a name ‘Pompous Brat’ and Evangeline contemplates just letting it go through in spite. Still, Oaks rarely ever called, which means she’s either 1) feeling super guilty about neglecting the best roomie in the world or 2) something happened. She clicks the accept call button expecting the former. Casual banter, don’t sound like you care, “Oh look who decided to, finally, remember they have a roommate.” 

“Gods, I missed your voice.” That sounds wrong for a multitude of reasons. One, they don’t do feelings, that was feelings. Two there’s something off with Oaks breathing, uneven and ragged, the strained tone of her voice. Three, she sounds like she’s smiling and that can’t mean anything good. Evangeline is up and moving, grabbing the keys and a jacket. The blanket too because if she needs a jacket then the idiot who got herself in trouble definitely needs something to keep warm as well. She slows down when she realizes she doesn’t even know what’s going on, “Oaks, what happened?” 

Pause, then “Oh um.. Y’know some guys thought they could just come and try to kidnap me? Murder? Not sure what the intent was but y’know I kicked their butts because black belt and I’m just always better..” 

She should probably bring the first aid kit too. 

Oaks then adds, “I might also be bleeding.” 

Evangeline inhales sharply. First aid kit for sure. “Okay, okay..do you know where you are?” she asks, hoping she kept the edge of panic out of her voice. 

The hesitant hum on the other end very nearly sends her into full blown panic. Finally, after what feels like minutes but was most definitely just a few seconds, she says “There’s a big big neon sign, um, ‘Elysium’ a club I think? I don’t know this part very well…” 

“Right, right-” Evangeline doesn’t know where it is either but thankfully modern technology fixes that problem real fast. She’s grateful there’s only one club called Elysium in this entire district, not too far but far enough. “ -are you out in the open?” 

“No, it’s like dark. Uhh what’s it called…an alley?” 

She hums an affirmative reply, practically sprinting from the dorm to her car. 

“Also it smells really bad. Dumpster maybe? Can’t tell, dark.” Oaks is starting to omit words which is a bad sign.

The car starts, engine rolling quietly, she sets the phone in the GPS holder and turns the call to speaker mode. Evangeline doesn’t start talking until she’s rolled out of the underground garage, “The wound, are you putting pressure on it?” 

Oaks’ snort makes her want to strangle something, “Yeah, ’m not stupid.”

“Didn’t say you were,” She’s aware she sounds frustrated, she can’t be bothered at this point, “Do you have anything for bandaging? Don’t bleed out.” 

“Oh uh, yeah, gimme a sec- '' There's the sound of movement, fabric against fabric, and a small wince, a sharp breath, then a loud ripping noise.

“Long strips.” She reminds, just because she can’t help it.

“Yeah yeah I know. Not my first time getting stabbed believe it or not.” Still bantering so it can’t be too bad. More rustling, more winces and sharp breaths, “Gods, I forgot how much this sucks.” 

“Secured?” Evangeline asks. 

“Once again, I’m not stupid. Yeah it’s secured, still bleeding but a lot less now.” 

“Good. I’ll be there in four, just hold on okay?” 

The quiet “mhm” is not reassuring at all.

Evangeline, for the first time in her life, is actively searching for conversation topics just to hear Oaks talk. Sy’s never gonna let her live this down. “Weren’t you supposed to be on a date with that boyfriend of yours?” 

There’s a groan of annoyance, “Don’t even get me started. The coward ran the other way as soon as one of them tried to throw a punch. Tried being the main word here, the punch didn’t even land!” 

“Christ, you’d think you’d have better taste in men considering you’re, oh I don’t know, the literal heir to this kingdom? At least date someone who won’t book it at the first sign of danger.” 

“Yeah but- but,” She could practically hear the pout in Oaks voice, “he was like soooooo cute Angel, you have no idea-” 

“I do actually, I’ve met him.” It’s true, Oaks likes to flaunt her dates, the last one was a mediocre blonde boy at best. 

“-he was like a golden retriever but like, if golden retrievers also had the cuteness of those small teacup dogs.” She sounds a little wistful. 

“Don’t tell me you’re still hung up on a coward.” 

“Oh no no, that’d require me to have liked him in the first place. I just miss the eye candy” She’s grinning, Evangeline can feel it through the screen. 

Now it’s her turn to groan in annoyance, “You are a player, you know that? Like the textbook definition of a toxic ex.” The GPS tells her there’s still two more minutes left of the drive. She’s considering whether running the next red light and breaking the speed limit is worth it. 

The next words that come through the line are entirely unexpected and wholly unfair. “I like you.” Tired, resigned, like it was something inevitable. 

Evangeline very nearly slams the breaks, or the gas, or both. She can feel the flush on her cheeks.

Oaks just barrels on, “You’re the only one who calls me out y’know. No one else bothers. They just let me be a jerk, sometimes even praise me for it, but not you.” A pause, a revelation, “You make me want to be better.” 

Evangeline cannot let this continue, lest she risk self combustion inside this highly flammable vehicle filled with highly flammable gasoline. “Oaks-” she starts to warn, to threaten, to change the topic. Anything but this. 

“That’s not my name.” And if she could hear Oaks smile, then she could definitely hear her frown. 

“Excuse me?” Caught off guard three times in one night. Sy’s definitely never letting her live this down. 

“You never say my name. It’s always Oaks Oaks Oaks.” She’s grumbling now, like a petulant child, “Oaks this, Oaks that. I have a name y’know, why don’t you use it?” 

“Last I checked, Oaks is your legal name, unless you somehow faked being part of the royal family.” 

“Nooo,” whining, “That’s my dad’s name, and grandpa’s, and every other crown-wearing, throne-sitting, monarchal great-grand whatever’s before them. I don’t- It’s not…mine. I don’t want…” She makes a sound that’s suspiciously close to a sob. 

“Do not cry, I swear to the gods, if you cry right now I will turn this car around and let you bleed out.” She wouldn’t do it, but it’s the threat that counts. 

“Okay okay,” There’s a sniffle but no more sob-like noises which Evangeline counts as a win, “Wait you’re driving right now?” 

“Yes? Why did you think I asked for your location?” 

“Oh.” She sounds dumbfounded. It makes Evangeline want to strangle something again. 

“Isn’t that why you called? ‘Cause you wanted me to come pick you up?” 

“Um, no?” She says, like Evangeline is the stupid one here, “I just wanted to hear your voice, das all.”

The realization hits her like a falling piano, “You thought I was going to let you die.” she accused. 

There’s no rebuttal, no denial, just miles of uncomfortable silence. Evangeline goes fuzzy with rage, “Oh my gods, you thought I was gonna let you die?! What’s wrong with you?” She’s yelling, she’s definitely yelling, she couldn’t care less. 

Oaks winces, “You’re mad.” 

“Of course I’m mad!” She counts back from ten because she needs to park the car and that's a tedious task even on better days. “Geez, I’m parking right now. Tell me where exactly you are in relation to Elysium. I have your second favorite blankie and I’m gonna wrap you up, take you home, and treat your wound so I feel less like I’m bullying an assault victim when I start telling you how stupid you are.” She grabs her phone, and the first aid kit, laying the blanket out over the passenger's seat so it’s all ready for wrapping once Oaks gets in. 

Oaks doesn’t immediately answer, which is already a red flag, “What if I don’t wanna tell you.” 

Evangeline really, really wants to strangle something right now, “Now’s not the time for your games Oaks.” 

“My name,” She states, “Say my name and I’ll tell you where.” 

“Manipulative.” Evangeline spits out, “You’re a manipulator. I’m trying to save your life here.”

“Nu-uh, my name.” She demanded more than asked. 

Evangeline sighs, “Fine, fine. Carol. There, happy?” 

Oaks makes a sound she’s never heard before. It takes a moment for her to place it. Giggles. The maniac was giggling like a schoolgirl with a stupid teenage crush, “Again.” 

Evangeline would’ve said it’s cute if she wasn’t too busy trying to stave off the mounting panic, “Carol, just tell me where you are. What you see.” 

“Ah,” It’s a startled noise, like she just remembered where she is and what’s happening, “Um, across the street, got a good view of the club-front so probably directly across. Did I mention it smells bad? Because it smells really really bad.” 

It takes Evangeline a little over a minute to find her. She doesn’t hang up until she sees Carol, huddled up between two buildings, right across from a dumpster, looking like a sad wet cat. The smell is atrocious but Evangeline wasn’t about to risk moving someone with an open wound without properly bandaging said wound first. She holds her breath, sets down the first aid kit, takes out a roll of gauze and gets to work. The whole time she can feel Carol staring holes into her head. She can’t tell if the silence is a blessing or a curse. 

The walk to the car is even worse. Neither of them want to disturb or even acknowledge the rising tension. She opens the door for Carol who grumbles something about how she has arms and can open a car door by herself thank you very much. Evangeline rolls her eyes, controls the urge to slam the door, and walks around to the other side settling into the driver's seat again. Some of the tension bleeds away as she sets up the GPS again and shifts the car into gear.

Then Carol had to go and open her big mouth, saying something sappy like “Thank you.”  

The silence was definitely a blessing Evangeline took for granted. “For what?” She asks because she secretly hates herself. 

Carol honest to gods chuckles. It’s not mocking, it’s not mean or taunting, just open and another way of saying thank you. “A lot of things. You saved my life- ” 

“You could’ve called literally anyone else and they’d have done the same.” Evangeline counters because she physically cannot take gratitude. 

“ -You didn’t hang up on me immediately- ” She continued, just straight up ignoring what Evangeline. 

“Because I’m a nice person, Oaks.” 

“ -You remembered my second favorite blanket.” It sounds like a gotcha. It feels like one too. 

“Yeah because you’re the only weirdo who even has a second favorite blanket. Kinda hard to forget weird facts.” Too defensive. 

“Could’ve grabbed my favorite.” She points out. 

Evangeline doesn’t see the trap until she’s already fallen in, “Didn’t wanna hear you whine about getting it dirty the entire drive home.” 

“You know me so well.” Carol sounds smug. Evangeline hates that she’s right.

Marsh
Pronouns? Surprise me
Mariah Carey DNI

18 || Braincells? No

October 19, 2023 22:31:38  #3

Jiminy cricket, I completely forgot about this thread. I so in fact have some writing I wanna share of oc stuff, this time hopefully better than the things I wrote before because improvement is good. 

(gonna put it under spoilers so it doesn't take up so much space.)

It’s actually quite hard to mistake a corpse for anything else. There’s many tells; most noticeably the sudden stop of all bodily function. With it comes the drop in temperature, the dulling of skin, and, occasionally, the contraction of muscles that have not yet gotten the memo. What most people don’t know, actually, is that after death the texture of your skin will change. It’ll quickly lose its elasticity causing the skin to sag or crinkle.

Then there’s the obvious. A corpse is made of flesh and bone, two extremely distinctive materials. And the bugs, y’know, the rotting, it’s just… ew. Very messy, very gross, very glad I didn’t take that forensic class.

“All this to say, I went on a little stroll through Evergiven Cemetery the other day and… I think someone’s replaced the bodies with – not bodies. It was hard to tell, the coffins were cramped, but I think it was mannequins? Something made of cloth, that I’m sure of.” 

There’s this pitch to her voice that spells trouble. Means Maria’s gotten hold of a hook and, one way or another, will follow the line down down down until she’s seen the truth. Excitement and curiosity mixing into one, potentially deadly, concoction.

“All of the bodies?” Silvia asks, because that feels like an important question. 

“No no, just a few. I almost didn’t notice anything was wrong actually. Whoever did this covered it up really well.” Maria replied, just on the edge of complimentary. 

“Well that’s an odd crime to commit. Think the culprit has an ability?”

“Yep, probably something plant related. I swear the graves looked untouched but that can’t possibly be right.” 

And this is something Silvia has never been able to understand about Maria. Her unwavering conviction in two complete contradictions. Perhaps that’s what made her such a great detective; the ability to rationalize both outcomes at once.

Either way, Silvia could find out what really happened with a simple investigation. “Want me to go take a look at it?”

“Well, I was hoping you’d do more than just look.” Maria replies with a cheeky little grin.

Really, it’s just an opportunity Silvia can’t pass, “What, you want me to go dig up the graves?” She asks with entirely too much sincerity.

“No!” Maria shouts as if she couldn’t push the word out fast enough. There’s a certain gratification to seeing the panic cross her face, the idea that even after all these years Silvia is still capable of catching the detective off guard, “I mean like, do the thing I’m paying you for.” 

“You’re paying me to dig up graves?” She asks, raising an eyebrow. There's a pause, where Maria figures out the joke and Silvia watches.

“You-” Whatever she was going to say was cut off with a brilliant cascade of laughter, the kind that’s sure to have the law firm just down the hall file a noise complaint. Silvia couldn’t care less, grinning like an idiot. Feeling soft, wonderful, and confused in all the right ways.

It’s not until Maria wheezed through her last giggles that Silvia starts talking. “Not today though. We’re busy.” A statement of fact that has Maria furrowing her brows and pouting like a child. 

“What do you mean ‘not today’? You said you’d go look at it!” She whined.

Silvia sighs and shakes her head, “We have a meeting with Mrs.Gibbs at one, don’t tell me you forgot.”

“Of course not! But we have like six hours till then, and the cemetery’s just a five minute walk away.”

“Three hours actually, and if I gave you an answer we’re probably going to miss an entire week's worth of jobs.” Silvia says, sifting through their filing cabinet for a very specific set of documents, “I know how you are Ria, you’ll dig until your hands are bloody if you thought it’d give an answer.”

“Okay, fine, maybe you have a point… but we’ve still got three hours! What are we gonna do for three hours!” Maria exclaims, dramatically flopping back in her seat, sending the chair rolling a feet or two away from her desk.

“Well for starters, we can check if you’re right about that painting in Mrs.Gibbs attic.” 

(tbd)

Marsh
Pronouns? Surprise me
Mariah Carey DNI

18 || Braincells? No

October 20, 2023 19:40:33  #4

We on the detective activities huh 🤔

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

October 20, 2023 22:38:20  #5

We are, we are, and I just realized I've literally never talked about the detective version of these two on here and maybe I should...

Marsh
Pronouns? Surprise me
Mariah Carey DNI

18 || Braincells? No

October 21, 2023 12:21:32  #6

Oh is like, an alt universe in your universe?

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

October 21, 2023 21:17:27  #7

It's more like a prequel to the current universe, at least for now unless I decided to change it for some reason.

Marsh
Pronouns? Surprise me
Mariah Carey DNI

18 || Braincells? No

Board footera