HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2023 00:41:25  #1

The Good Story Thread

Ok guys, here is what this thread is about, if you wanna hear the backstory:

I feel I'm currently in a dought. However, I'm in a very specific drought: I'm in a drought for video games with good stories that I'm actually interested in playing.

I have plenty of TV shows and movies in my log, but no video games, and I'm in the need for some.

So, I thought, surely I'm not alone in this situation, right? There's gotta be people that want to partake in a specific medium in search of good story.

So why not make a thread just talking about good stories that you'd recommend to other people? That's what this is. Give a pitch to any good story you know of, and we can see if it ends up interesting us to look into it. Or use this thread as a resource to ask for stories.

Tldr; this thread is a thread for you to talk about your favorite stories and trying to sell it to others. Or this is the thread where you ask others about any good stories they have and they'll give recommendations. A resource for eveyone here kinda you know?

Last edited by Time (June 6, 2023 00:59:32)

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

May 30, 2023 00:46:42  #2

Re: The Good Story Thread

To start it off, as I mentioned, I'm looking for video games with good story. I have perimeters, but I'm not going to add them, because I just want to see any and all options and gauge my interest in all of them. And I mean all of them. It doesn't really matter what type of game, I just wanna see if I'm interested.

In exchange, I can help with things like good movies, maybe? I can help you out in the search for a good story too.

Time

June 5, 2023 09:53:04  #3

Hey! So I've been thinking for a while about what things I can recommend, but I myself haven't played many games and even then most of the ones I know are pretty mainstream I'd say, so I got someone else to give me recs.
Starting off with what I enjoy, you prolly know I routinely play Genshin and Fate/Grand Order. I don't know if you're interested in either, since they're still both being updated, but Genshin is open-world with story and good lore to theorize about, while F/GO is turn-based combat (I think) with a visual novel style narration. Both of them are pretty cool imo, but you'll need to invest quite a while in both to progress. Still, I like the story elements.
Then I also really enjoy Zelda games, with Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask being my favorites (played the N64 version) and also Minish cap and Link's Awakening. I think most Zelda games are pretty good picks because they tend to have good story. You probably know about or have played BotW, and TotK is all the rage rn, but I haven't played either. They're both open world though iirc. (Eliza probably knows more about Zelda games than I do).
Undertale and Deltarune are two other faves but again they're mainstream and Deltarune isn't completely out yet. I've enjoyed it a lot though. 

Now, onto the other recommendations. I haven't played any of the following, so I can't say much other than what I've been told.
JRPG strategy games you can jump into at any moment:
- Disgaea
- Fire Emblem

Gameplay frustration(?)
- Project Moon games

Unknown category games
- Ni no Kuni 1 & 2
- Ys games (Can start at Ys viii or Ys ix apparently)
- Hades (Hades 2 coming out soon)
- Nier
- Drakengard

Non anime games that are also cool
- What Remains of Edith Finch
- Tell Me Why (which you would normally spend money on but its actually free rn for a limited time) (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1180660/Tell_Me_Why/)

And that's all I have rn! I hope at least one of these catches your interest haha.
As a bonus, I've found Wind-Up Knight to be a really fun game for phones. It doesn't have a story to follow but I think it's p fun to run around the levels and trying to beat the challenges. One of my favorites for phone, definitely.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 6, 2023 01:15:31  #4

I edited the title of the thread to be more universal, thank you for the recommendations!

...I'll... dip my pinky toe into the gatcha world. With a full free-to-play hazmat suit on. Sometimes I hear the story is good, sometimes I do not. I wonder if the anime girls and pay to win transactions hide a good story underneath, you know? So I figure I judge for myself. Though I don't think I'll travel into genshin or F/GO atm. But thank you for having me think about the topic.

I presume "frustration" as in the games are hard, yeah? Project Moon games... are they all in the same universe? To your knowledge? I know Project Moon from Limbus Company, but I didn't know any of their other games. I remember getting a few adds promoting the game here and there. But that's also a Gatcha game, isn't it?

I've always heard of Nier and Drakengard both being good (mainly Nier since it's more popular). But they haven't grown on me yet. Same with Hades.

But that's the thing, usually when it comes to most games I end up playing and liking, it usually starts with me having a neutral relationship the first time I interact with them, then it interests me enough to play it.

Last edited by Time (June 6, 2023 01:18:31)

Time

June 6, 2023 01:17:26  #5

I'll look into the ones you've offered, especially those that I haven't heard of. Then I'll let them linger in my mind and see if I grow interested. Thank you!

Would you like me to help find you some stories in exchange?

Time

June 6, 2023 21:38:41  #6

Tbh gacha games have a bad rep because of their fanbase imo, but understandable if you're not willing to go into that genre xD. If you're interested, though, I've heard that Arknights and Honkai Star Rail are pretty good. The latter came out recently. I only know them by name and because some acquaintances say they're good games. Anyways, the gacha is basically just trying your luck like spinning a roulette or something, so if you're interested in checking out the games I suggest you priotitize the gameplay and story.
I guess the Project Moon games are hard, but I acn't say for sure. I wasn't aware Limbus was a Project Moon game, I've only heard about it from the friend who gave me these recs and according to them it's an entertaining with with gacha as a secondary thing. I know next to nothing about this, either in gameplay or story, but I remember liking the idea behind the Limbus characters (if only I could remember what it was exactly though lol).
Imo it's perfectly fine to take that approach to games. Keeps you from getting disappointed too xD and sometimes you chance on things you weren't expecting in the first place and maybe be pleasantly surprised by them!

I'd be interested in story recs! I don't know how or if I'll be able to check them out but I'm definitely interested in hearing what you have to say :eyes:

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 7, 2023 22:46:39  #7

Honestly I don't know much about gatcha fanbases. But I do know it's a type of game that isn't widely praised. I know the general mechanical part of gacha 

Yeah. It's certainly best not going into something with a closed mind... because, why would you be even going into that stuff?

I can give updates to things as time passes.

But for you, what are you looking for exactly? I don't have much, but I'll try to do my best and see.

Time

June 7, 2023 23:28:00  #8

Yee. I just hope you find something you like, whatever kind of game it is :3.

Hmm I don't know xD I think I don't have many preferences, so, what are the things you'd recommend the most? Whatever kind of media it is.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 8, 2023 01:24:33  #9

Well, I think the number one type game I like is one with a good story (hence why I'm looking for another one to comsume lol)

This kinda sucks, because I feel like location differences will result in what's available to you... but I  think atm books/reading stuff is something I'm more confident recommending in as of current, even if my catalog may be low. I probably can probably talk with irl people, but most of the stuff is gonna come from my personal recommendations.

When it comes to things that I recommend, it's always stuff that stick out to me and draw my attention in with an interesting premise. If we are talking about purely fiction (as there are nonfiction stuff that interest me), I usually end up reading things that are fantasy based, so you can expect that sorta stuff from me. However, I would like to build up my science fiction repertoire.

I'm currently just giving out what I may end up recommending as I don't know if the "what are the things you'd recommend the most?" was a general question, or a very specific question asking for actual reccomendations

Last edited by Time (June 8, 2023 01:25:16)

Time

June 8, 2023 12:36:40  #10

i've got some games with stories. all fromsoft games have at least six different stories, three of which can decide how you end the game, and the other three just make you sad as fuck. and also they all have various smaller stories, which get fully explored in like a mini dungeon or something. the easiest one to get into is elden ring, since it has a number of quality of life improvements from their earlier games(such as: no more boss runs, you can just spawn right outside most boss rooms. and also running doesn't drain your stamina unless you're in combat). the only problem is that there's only one story in each game that you don't have to look for. the main story, which isn't enough to carry most of them on its own. so basically if you want a story outta fromsoft: you best get in yer indiana jones cosplay and start lookin for them.

hollow knight and celeste also have compelling stories, and doom eternal has great combat and platforming mixed in with a pretty good story if you look through the lore notes. the latest two god of war games make a great two part story from what i've heard.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAaaaaand i've reverted. Yay! there was too much sand in my lungs, anyways.
I am made of Ash and Bones and a little bit of meat. I can also be called Draki but I am not made of draco yet.
refer to me in the same manner the french refer to flesh.

okay that's all i'm going to cast divine skeleton bone blast now

June 8, 2023 17:30:06  #11

Oooh I had heard of Hollow Knight but I wasn't aware that Celeste had a story to it. Interesting info! I hope I can watch a playthrough someday haha

@Time
Since you said you could give out recs, I'm willing to listen! I don't think I'm looking for anything in particular tbh, I just enjoy a good story like the title of the thread says.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 10, 2023 23:07:38  #12

@Ash
Ah I see, aren't  most of the souls-like games from fromsoft nonlinear? Like, really non linear, like to the point you can just play and you'd never even know the story.

I do like watching VaatiVidya videos every now and then, but I sometimes worry that this sort of storytelling is a lot of trying to find the story instead of interpreting the story (which in a way is two sides of the same coin). Is this true Ash? Not that there is an issue, its just I'm unsure that that sorta thing is always my style.

@Specter
Here are a few ones that I had. You probably have heard them already, because if I think something may be good, I talk about it on my homethread.

Some books that I have read recently and liked:
Fiction:
- Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo: I read this a few years back actually, so this grading may be outdated or maybe I may be too mature for it now, but from what I remember, I thought it was pretty cool. A group of young thieves, lead by a prodigy mastermind, plans a heist against the most secure location in the world. I though that the mastermind was cool, because seeing him deduce and plan was fun and clever. I enjoyed the world's magic system as well. It's a hard magic system, but still, pretty cool. It's a duology, and also apart of a larger world, but I never really got to reading the other books besides the duology.

- Mistborn Trilogy By Brandon Sanderson
Ok... I'll admit, I'm not even done reading the first book. But I've been enjoying what I have been reading so far! It's also a hard magic system like Six of Crows... and it also stars a crew of thieves... and it also has a teen prodigy as a main character. Huh.

Well, instead of actually stealing something, this thieving crew has decided to overthrow an empire that has lasted over 1000 years and ruled by an immortal demigod! I kinda find the magic system to be interesting. Characters are given their powers and limits, but new powers and such are added as time goes on, and in a what that we learn more of the world naturally, instead of everything being shoved in our face immediately.

Time

June 10, 2023 23:13:34  #13

Nonfiction:
- Just Mercy: I liked this one because when I read it, it was not some boring drawl of a memoir. It told interesting stories. So the premise of this one is that this is about an american lawyer who works to represent those he believes to be unrepresented in the prison system, and he just retells of some of his most memorable stories. It touches a wide range of topics, many of which can be touchy. He also places a lot of his philosophy and thoughts in the pages as well, and it's interesting to see his thought process concerning specific laws and such. Even if you may not agree with his philosophy and whatnot, I think it's still a great read.

Time

June 11, 2023 10:36:14  #14

Time wrote:

@Ash
Ah I see, aren't  most of the souls-like games from fromsoft nonlinear? Like, really non linear, like to the point you can just play and you'd never even know the story.

I do like watching VaatiVidya videos every now and then, but I sometimes worry that this sort of storytelling is a lot of trying to find the story instead of interpreting the story (which in a way is two sides of the same coin). Is this true Ash? Not that there is an issue, its just I'm unsure that that sorta thing is always my style.

no, they almost always contain a rather linear main story, so long as you stay on track better than me. and most of the story needed to understand what you're doing is told to you by npcs, bosses/boss loot, and the intro cutscenes. the main story is rather simply told to you, but you need to find the other stories by reading lore notes on loot and boss souls and such. and even then, they never give you the story so completely that you can't interpret from them. they say some things happened, a few other lore notes will imply a reason or two for that thing, and then you can interpret it as you want.

also i don't really watch vaatividya because they'll state headcanons and other such things never stated or implied in game as though truth, i much prefer smoughtown because he's more than willing to state when it's just his interpretation and provide other's interpretations. like for instance, vaatividya states in one of their videos that melina is a child of the marika/radagon fused single person, despite that never being stated or easily implied in the game.

I am made of Ash and Bones and a little bit of meat. I can also be called Draki but I am not made of draco yet.

June 11, 2023 14:39:02  #15

Interesting. Hm. I'll keep it in mind then. If any of their premises really grow on me, the only thing holding me back would be a skill issue 💀

Say, on the topic of Fromsoft games, what do you think of Armored Core 6? That's one I'm somewhat interested in. My dad used to play the old armored cores back then on a ps2, so it made me interested to see it again.

I'll also keep that in mind. I said vaatividya because I presume the dude is the most popular souls lore person, and I'm not really familiar with the people that talk about lore in fromsoft games

Time

June 11, 2023 17:52:08  #16

i've not a clue, i play the games but i stay uninvolved with the fandom. that's how i usually do with things i enjoy.

and i've never heard of armored core before, but if it's a fromsoft game don't trust a bald man who squats a lot. never trust the fromsoft bald men.

June 12, 2023 12:45:04  #17

Actually, yeah, understandable.

Oh yeah I know of patches. I think he's a silly guy.

Time

June 15, 2023 22:39:25  #18

AshTheAvaricious wrote:

ithe latest two god of war games make a great two part story from what i've heard.

Oh, I've heard of this as well. I hope it really grows on me to the point I actively wanna play it. I hear it's a good story, but Vikings weren't really ever my thing. I find that for me, I need a really, really good hook or for it to grow on me. Else I won't get the motivation to look into it.

Time

Board footera