HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2023 09:02:00  #1

[Fluff/re-intro?] It's A Bird! It's A Plane! It's... A Jackal?

((Don't like,,, kill or maim the guy but other than that I don't care where this goes))
Thread Vibes but it's the song I've had on his playlist since I made The Masked Ones

It had been... well, years since The Jackal has shown his face in Forengard. It had been years since he'd shown his mask or even appear at all, to be more specific. The last time he had shown his face was the reason for his absence. When the deity Eidolon had rushed the Mask Ones compound, the group had succeeded in defeating him, but the Jackal's attempt to consume the god's soul went awry, its raw power nearly killing the Masked One himself. In the ensuing chaos, the Jackal and his second-in-command, the Eagle, all but abandoned the other Masked Ones, though curiously enough their craftsman, the Raccoon, similarly disappeared and hadn't been seen since. 

Killing a deity was the kind of attention from the pantheon the Masked Ones didn't want, and the Jackal and Eagle elected to lay low for as long as they could. The Eagle could make do on her own, and with the small bit of Eidolon's soul the Jackal had managed to consume, he didn't need to go hunting at all.

Until now.

In the past few days, the cult leader had felt the familiar gnawing ache in his chest, a restlessness he couldn't satisfy. As powerful as a deity soul was, that fragment was never going to sustain him forever. The Jackal was hungry. He had gone out alone, leaving the Eagle to do gods-knew-what. Not that he cared. He finally had an excuse to leave their hideout, away from her endless questions and noxious-smelling plants she was cultivating for her poisons.

The Jackal found himself in the medieval sect, seated atop a fence as he leisurely observed a flock of sheep huddled in a pasture. It was a clear night with a full moon, bright enough that he could see many of them were sleeping, but a few were keeping a watchful eye on him. The Masked One must have been an odd sight to them. The hooded cloak he was wearing obscured most of him, though it was clear there was strength in his build. He might have passed as normal, save for the mask's pair of pointy ears poking through slits cut into the hood itself, and the silhouette of the muzzle visible whenever he turned his head to scan the surrounding fields. He was in no rush-- it's not like the sheep had anywhere to go. He might as well enjoy the peace and quiet for once.

Call me Ishmael.
21 | Any Pronouns | wandering forest entity that occasionally visits your kitchen

"Is my body really part of the earth, and is the soul just a metaphor?"

Season's grievings to us, one and all!

March 24, 2023 11:31:27  #2

Re: [Fluff/re-intro?] It's A Bird! It's A Plane! It's... A Jackal?

Paranoia. It was one of the main reasons that people hired other people, the other two being wanting to have something and wanting to kill someone. It was paranoia that brought Ozark to where he was tonight, standing outside of a farmhouse, watching sheep, bored as all hell. He'd rather be sleeping, but the owner of this farmhouse had promised to provide him with breakfast once he had confirmed that nobody was sneaking in at night, and Ozark hadn't eaten in days. So, here he was. Standing next to a farmhouse. In the middle of the night. Watching sheep. "Maybe I should consider another line of work."

Axel
"Martial arts is... a way to move all cool like?"
Live like nobody's watching
I aten't dead
If i was rich, I'd fill up a room with buttons, and then when you pressed them they'd make satisfying sounds

March 24, 2023 15:14:11  #3

"Or just please our guest for now." Crimson added to Ozark's remark, pointing at The Jackal.

Yeah, I'm active here like every day, no I don't have a life outside video games, GGaD or college.  And yes, I do love this place in case it's not clear.  

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I do change this siggy often too. 

March 24, 2023 16:19:35  #4

Ozark jumps back and draws his weapon in response to Crimson appearing out of nowhere. “Who the hell are you?”

Axel
I aten't dead
If i was rich, I'd fill up a room with buttons, and then when you pressed them they'd make satisfying sounds

March 24, 2023 22:00:12  #5

Crimson watched The Jackal and almost smiled.  "Certainly not a enemy." 

Yeah, I'm active here like every day, no I don't have a life outside video games, GGaD or college.  And yes, I do love this place in case it's not clear.  

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

March 25, 2023 00:35:25  #6

The mask's ears swiveled as the Jackal heard the fringe of a conversation in the direction of the farmhouse. He cursed under his breath. What were people doing out this late at night? He slowly slid off of the fence, landing inside the pasture. Without any real cover around, his only real choice was the sheep. The flock was none too pleased with this, and they began to bleat furiously at him.

"Shhhh! Calm down!" he hissed at them. The tone of his voice was forceful and the exact opposite of how he should have handled frightened animals, but it actually worked. They quieted and simply stared at him as he crept into the bulk of the flock and crouched down, the ears of his mask flattening to better conceal him. He gave one of them a pat on the head, a young ram who promptly tried to bite his fingers. Maybe he'd take this one.

Call me Ishmael.
21 | Any Pronouns | wandering forest entity that occasionally visits your kitchen

March 25, 2023 09:00:10  #7

“So? You still appeared out of nowhere. You could be a threat to my operation here.” As he’s interrogating Crimson, Ozark hears the flock start bleating, then suddenly stop. “You’re lucky I’m on a job.” He sheathes his weapon and runs off towards the source of the sound, stopping several feet away from the Jackal’s hiding place. He starts looking around as the sheep mill about around him, calling out into the darkness. “Hello? Anyone out here?” He almost trips over a passing ewe as he paces around. “I’d advise you to vacate the premises, so I can get paid.”

Axel
I aten't dead

March 25, 2023 21:35:07  #8

Crimson walked up to the sheep and looked at Jackals direction and smiled and whispered to him.  "What eyes cannot see, I certainly can.  I will make sure no harm comes to you if you can tell me your name." 

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

March 26, 2023 05:21:43  #9

The Masked One shrank away from Ozark's voice, silently praying that he would give up and leave. However, the sound of the second voice made his heart sank. He could have gotten out of this easily if only one person had come to investigate, but it was much more difficult to do his work on two people at once.

Thinking quickly, he snatched up a nearby lamb in his arms and stood, sort of cradling it in his arms. It didn't struggle or kick and simply stared sleepily at the other two. "Oi! Are you the shepherds of this flock?"

Call me Ishmael.

March 26, 2023 05:25:24  #10

"I am for tonight. He's just some guy." Ozark turns to face the Jackal, nodding his head towards Crimson as he speaks. He stares intently at the Jackal, looking him up and down. "Nice... mask. Anyway, who are you?"

Axel
I aten't dead

March 26, 2023 11:29:27  #11

"Give the kid some space." Crimson said calmly and put his hand on Ozark.  He walked up to Jackal and grabbed the sheep and put it down.  "Name's Crimson.  Some call me Cor.  I'm no Shepard, nor am I of this world.  I just happened to be passing by.  May we help you somehow?"  

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

March 27, 2023 03:12:24  #12

The Jackal looked a little disgruntled at Crimson approaching him like that, but he let him take the sheep. "They call me the Jackal," he replied, tapping the side of his mask with a finger. "I was just passing through, same as you. That lamb was acting odd, so I decided to take a look at it. It seems to be alright, though. Young ones are always so difficult to evaluate." As he spoke, the jaws of the mask moved with his voice, creating a soft metallic rasping sound alongside his words.

Call me Ishmael.

March 27, 2023 05:29:52  #13

Ozark is similarly disgruntled at Crimson's actions. "You know, it would be nice if you would let me actually do my job." He moves Crimson out of the way to keep him from interrupting, then begins to question the Jackal. "First of all, what are you doing hiding in a crowd of sheep at night?"

Last edited by ThreePunchAxel (March 27, 2023 05:42:20)

Axel
I aten't dead

March 31, 2023 04:09:14  #14

The eyes of the Jackal's mask were pitch black, revealing no face underneath, but there was a clear feeling of intense eye contact from the man as he spoke. "Like I said, I was taking a look at that lamb there. I wasn't expecting people to be up and about this time of night, and I was worried it might look bad if a stranger was meddling with a flock, so... I hid. I'm now realizing that was not the best course of action, but I panicked."

His plan for an easy meal ruined, it would be a waste of time to stay here any longer and waste precious moonlight. There would be plenty of other flocks around here to choose from. "If that's all you need from me, then I'd best be on my way."

Call me Ishmael.

March 31, 2023 08:10:25  #15

"Hm. Alright then." Ozark feels like there's more to the story, but he seems satisfied for now. "I'll just stay here and make sure you leave, if you don't mind."

Axel
I aten't dead

April 2, 2023 00:26:39  #16

"...Of course." the Jackal gave Ozark a sort of mock salute and backed up to the fence before vaulting over it with a practiced ease. He started back down the path alongside the fence, walking casually, but he was absolutely fuming on the inside. He couldn't even get a lousy sheep anymore without someone breathing down his neck. 

Call me Ishmael.

April 4, 2023 11:13:13  #17

Ozark begins to follow the Jackal, staying far enough behind him to not be noticed, but close enough to not lose track of him.

Axel
I aten't dead

May 8, 2023 01:36:10  #18

The Jackal continued down the path, weighing his options. He could find some other pasture, far enough away in case the paranoid farmer had hired more muscle. They may not be as forgiving as the one he just encountered. On the other hand, he could go for some bigger game, and not have to do this whole song and dance as often...

What convenient timing for the Masked One to find himself at a fork in the path! One side curved back into the farmland, but the other led to some distant lights-- a village of some sort. He paused for only a moment before taking the path towards the village.

Call me Ishmael.

Board footera