HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2023 04:36:12  #1

[F/DA] The coming of the first morn

Systems, set. Spell, remembered. Impressions, solid.
At least Sunny hopes so. As if on cue, his back emits a cracking noise of some sort, reminding him that he really shouldn’t have collapsed onto the hotel floor without a single blanket beneath for padding a few hours ago. He simply holds back a wince and strides forward.
The city is quiet, known for its late starts and relaxed demeanor. And in the daytime, its tranquility is illuminated by a soft light even though the sun has not yet risen. That much is apparent even with him intentionally erring closer to the buildings and their temporary shades. He’s not used to it at all, but he certainly could be if he allowed himself to be like so. The thought spurs him to a light jog.
A bus and a quick transfer later–both just as empty of passengers as the ride he had taken the night before–the young man finds himself near the base of a mountain, neither grandiose nor unimpressive in its height and appearance. The sun is already a little above the horizon, and so he hurries his steps as he makes his way up its slopes. 
When he arrives at the leyline, the air is still refreshingly cool. There is no sign of life surrounding, even though the pulsating energy somehow seems as if its very indication. And so as the young man finally begins to blot the ground with the memorized shape and intricacies, he is allowed a moment to recollect the surroundings with his mind–to again rehearse his script, and to pinpoint this moment that could perhaps be described as ineluctable. 
After all, there is no room for anything other than moving forward. 
Finishing the last stroke with one fell sweep, he returns to his position and starts the incantation. 

“Once, twice, thrice.
Fractal flames alight and smolder upon a base of char. Their light smothers the tarnished gates. 
Hearken! From the domain beyond bloom and wither, the three cardinals take flight. The wheel turns; ashes across eons scatter and coalesce. Then, as an abider of the inscribed path, I hereby propose the following:
Mine will shall create thy body, and thy resolve shall construct mine fate. In the eternal world, I swear to embody all good and to oppose all evil. I vow to be the companion to thou who tread the shrouded road. 
So now, if you accede to these conditions, then answer my call. Epitome without parallel residing within the eternal realm, shine thy radiance past the ring of restraint!”

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

March 24, 2023 17:00:08  #2

Re: [F/DA] The coming of the first morn

A soft glow emanated from the drawn lines, increasing in intensity as the mage spoke. The air around almost hummed with anticipation for what was about to happen.
Finally, right on cue with the last word, a beam of brightness burst out from the circle, bathing the whole area in blinding white light for a second. A gust of air accompanied it and quickly dispersed outwards, leaving only a screen of smoke all around.
Through the vanishing fog one could discern the outline of a small figure, becoming more and more visible as the air cleared. It showed a cloaked humanoid being standing right in the center of the summoning circle. Their features were not visible thanks to the gray hood that shadowed their face.
--+--
Ah, I've been called.
Is this the opportunity I was hoping for? 
First impressions are the most important.
Things can be done right this time.

I won't waste this second chance given to me.
--+--
"Are you the one who summoned me?"
The figure spoke softly with a young voice. They lifted their head with a jerk, letting the hood fall back to reveal a childish face in the most solemn of expressions. Large, piercing green eyes opened to stare unblinkingly at Sunny's face. 
"Are you... my Master?"

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 25, 2023 04:32:23  #3

What had he been expecting? If there had been any notion of an answer that he had conceived before this moment, it vanished as soon as the screen of fog appeared. Similarly, any surprise that he might feel from the arrival’s small stature or general appearance is obscured by another, singular feeling.
The newly manifested figure faces a young man who appears to be in his early twenties. A single braid secured tightly but nonetheless with straggling strands on either side rests neatly on the side of his face. His eyes, a prominent rosy pink in hue, stare through the fog with what seems to be an almost child-like awe. It takes him a moment to be able to speak, but when he does, his voice has a resounding clarity. 
“Yes.” He states this with a lack of hesitation that almost seems unbefitting or inappropriate. But as if that brings back some unseen aspect of him, his left hand–which had been holding onto the clasp of his cloak–tightens once more. Meanwhile, his other hand is leveled so that it subtly returns to his side. A symbol of some sort can be seen around his hand and the base thereof, though it seems not yet fully formed.
“My name is Sunshine,” says he, maintaining eye contact with the figure despite their differences in stature. “Sunshine Meep, or Sunny for short. I remain a mage in study, but there would be no greater honor for me than to partake in this Holy Grail War by your side.
If you would, may I know your name?”

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

March 25, 2023 20:34:40  #4

"Caster is my class," went the reply, a sort of incomplete answer that showed through the way the words were pronounced. "Unless you mean my other name."
With the smoke completely faded, the Servant's features were fully visible. Most noticeably, the white-to-green fade in their hair that contrasted sharply with the darker color of their skin. Other that that and their facial expression, not much more could be seen, thanks to the cloak that still covered the rest of their body to almost the ground. Perhaps that piece of clothing made them seem smaller than they actually were.
Finally, Caster closed their eyes for a brief second, longer than a blink. Their eyes glowed brighter green when opened again.
"I am happy to be greeted as politely as you did."

Please, let me know this.
Is my master truly happy to see me?
Is my master an honest person?

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 26, 2023 02:06:42  #5

"Of course," he answers. It may be that he indeed meant the latter in his original intentions, but he seems to have immediately deemed it unfit to press the matter. "Anything else would feel wrong to me instead, though I hope you will readily inform me if any particular degree of formality makes you uncomfortable."
Though there is a tinge of unnaturalness accompanying the mentioned formality in the mage's demeanor and words--an undeniable fact that manifests through a slight degree of discomfort that he exudes--it is instead more peculiar how quickly the awe he felt and showed upon Caster's summoning has vanished from his eyes. The truth in his sentiment is very real and remains even now, but the fact is almost as if entirely distinct from reality by this point in time.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

March 27, 2023 19:30:36  #6

The Servant tilted their head lightly to the side, and with a blink the strange shine was gone.
"Very well then. I accept the contract," they said, stepping out of the summoning circle at last to walk towards Sunny. Once they were face to face, Caster (more noticeably male from up close) extended his bandage-wrapped hand to offer a handshake. It doesn't seem like he minds the height difference at all.
"I accept you as my Master, Sunny. As long as you don't treat me like some sort of king or noble I'll be happy."
The boy's expression softened. Now, a sort of serious gentleness could be seen on his face, an almost-smile different from the grave stare he sported right after summon. And yet his eyes seemed to lack something other than pupils. Perhaps the sense of innocence and wonder that most children have?

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 28, 2023 01:59:00  #7

"I'll keep that in mind," he states, taking the Heroic Spirit's hand. First impression suggests that he doesn't have a very strong grip, but perhaps his downward glance at Caster's hands indicates an alternative source to his weakness. 
"I must admit that I contemplated the possibility of summoning someone of royalty prior to the summoning process," he continues, letting go of the other's hand, "and it was an intimidating possibility to consider. At least for me." He adds, "I have never met someone of the sort even in the current time, so I imagine there would be gaps in my knowledge for what is acceptable or preferred by such a person."

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

March 28, 2023 23:59:55  #8

Caster's own hand held a firm grip for the duration of the handshake, after which it went back to disappear under his clothing. He seemed content with standing there. Actually, it's more like he's waiting to be told what to do.
"Nobles have complicated rules and manners to follow. And they are sensitive to being treated 'without enough respect'. Kings and rulers are known for laying down harsh punishments to anyone who doesn't follow the rules of etiquette, or so I've heard. "

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 29, 2023 03:05:13  #9

"I'll keep that in mind, but I do hope that those we encounter will find respect in its natural form sufficient." 
Keeping a related but irrelevant topic (irrelevant in his view at least) to himself, Sunny turns to regard the summoning circle he had constructed. The shape is fine, the symbols consistent, and a somewhat long piece of bark rests reverently in the middle of its surrounding markings. He thinks for a few moments, resting a hand absentmindedly on his hip, before turning his gaze back towards Caster again.
"Well, I suppose I should now ask you if you have any preference for what you wish to do next. I am fine with your inclinations, whatever they may be."

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

March 29, 2023 20:30:15  #10

"I'd hope so. What's the use of following etiquette and laws for someone who isn't your ruler? Anyone should understand that," Caster said, finishing with words with a shrug and no desire to listen to an answer to his question. That topic left behind, he turned his attention first to Sunny's gaze and then to his words.
"I was expecting to hear an order from you." He looked up at the sky, squinting slightly at the light while he talked. "But I wouldn't mind learning more around the place I've been summoned to. Preferrably by sight. I'm not familiar with this area."
The boy returned his sight to Sunny, a true smile finally gracing his lips. "So then, what do you say, Master? I'll follow whatever you decide."

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 30, 2023 03:17:49  #11

"That is fine by me," he responds almost immediately, giving a slight nod as he does so. "I also find the need to explore our surroundings. I have not yet set up our residence, so I imagine this will be a good opportunity to do so."
As he speaks, he realizes that Caster likely has some sort of theoretical knowledge about the area already. The Grail is said to give a degree of knowledge to summoned Heroic Spirits, correct? He thinks he recalls something like that, but he also remembers that he was never able to discern exactly how precise the knowledge would be. Well, at least now he'll hopefully remember that the Heroic Spirit is not a total stranger to the land and manifest that understanding through his actions.
"Oh," he adds, remembering something else that he had wanted to bring up. "I don't know if this is too much, but I had been thinking that since today is the first day of summons, perhaps you would wish to familiarize yourself with the city as well." He tilts his head slightly. "I apologize if this is too structured of an agenda or anything of the sort, but if you wish to, we could enter the city after exploring the area."

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

March 30, 2023 23:06:50  #12

He shook his head at the last sentence. "I don't mind. In fact, I think it would be perfect to see it with my own eyes. I probably shouldn't be visible when we go, though." Caster ended his words with a shrug. 
"Either way, it's best to get as many things done as soon as possible. Will the residence you mention be in the city?"

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 31, 2023 02:32:44  #13

The mage is already imagining all the times he will somehow manage to forget Caster is in his spirit form. "No. It will be around our current location."
He blinks a few times quickly in succession, likely an indication that he's trying to think of something again.
"Ah, also, I brought a few outfits with me that you can possibly put on before we enter the city. Though," and he adds this portion as a mutter, "I am not sure if the size variety is large enough."

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

March 31, 2023 15:51:47  #14

"Hmm. I'll figure out more later." Caster took a hand to his face in thoughtful gesture and prodded the ground with his boot. "It is the first day, after all."
He raised his sight at the mention of outfits. Ah, so that meant his Master probably wanted him to remain materialized. Well, that should be fine. Not like he had anything against the idea. 
"Okay. It will just be a matter of trying them on, then. I don't mind as long as they're not flashy clothes."

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 1, 2023 04:29:00  #15

Sunny is impressively holding in his worry about what constitutes flashy. "Very well, then I believe we have somewhat of a schedule in place."
With that, he turns slightly towards the summoning circle again.
"So then, please give me a moment to conclude our time here."
Upon Caster's presumable agreement, he starts a chant under his breath. It's hard to hear what he's saying, but his pronunciation seems clear at the very least, though his incantation speed can only be described as modest at best. With that, the summoning circle as a whole gradually disappears, slightly warping in shape towards the downhill slope of the mountain, where Sunny placed his belongings. 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

April 2, 2023 23:00:05  #16

Caster gave nodded shortly in agreement, moving more to Sunny's side instead of standing in front of him. He made a move of dusting off the side of his cloak while waiting. No comment was made as he watched his Master's incantation. 
So they'd be together for some time. It didn't seem like it would be too bad after all.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 3, 2023 01:58:59  #17

When the summoning circle is fully gone from sight, Sunny goes to pick up the piece of wood, which he holds delicately in an almost awkward fashion. Then, he carefully makes his way back to his belongings, where he wraps the wood in a good amount of cushioning material, ties it, and finally puts it back into the bag.
Hey look, his hand movements are awkward too. 
When he's finally done and ready to go, he looks at Caster almost guiltily, probably hoping that the other finds the surrounding scenery more interesting than whatever he's been doing, but he also manages to state "I am ready to go" regardless of what the other is doing. Honestly, what a weird guy.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

April 4, 2023 23:59:20  #18

Unfortunately for Sunny, Caster had been attentively watching his movements. Whether he is pleased or displeased or has any thoughts about the actions is up to imagination, as his face remained almost the same. He just seemed to be interested in what his Master had been doing.
"Very well. Should I follow you?"

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 5, 2023 02:04:27  #19

He pauses. "Perhaps. This mountain should be relatively easy to transverse, but there are better paths to take than others." 
He looks to their right, as if to check again.
"But please travel at your own pace, whether that is faster or slower than mine. Maybe there will be something of interest along the way that I would have otherwise disregarded."

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

April 5, 2023 19:35:17  #20

The boy put his hands on his hips and gave a little confident grin.
"I'll remember all the paths. Don't worry about me. I won't get tired."

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 6, 2023 00:43:20  #21

"Alright, but in actuality, I was referring to--"
He stops. Was he really worrying about a Heroic Spirit tripping? 
He was. Upon making the realization, his shoulders slant backwards as he tries in to hold in something. Maybe laughter.
"Never mind. I will not worry, then," he makes out, purposefully turning even more to the right and taking a few steps in that direction. 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

April 11, 2023 19:54:49  #22

Referring to what? Something else Caster hadn't thought about? But there really was nothing to worry about, So, then, what could it have been?
His Master had dropped the subject, so he probably shouldn't dwell on such a trivial matter as an incomplete sentence. He started to walk after Sunny, determined to focus on the path and the surrounding even though he knew it would come naturally. But curiosity resurfaced for a moment and Caster lifted his gaze towards Sunny with the question in mind. The Servant shook his head.
No, leave it, it's not important. We'll forget about this in a while anyway.  
Perhaps this was just the progress of getting to know each other. After all, it had only been a few minutes since their initial encounter. Soon he'd be able to focus on more important things than a simple what-if in a conversation.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 11, 2023 22:01:12  #23

Meanwhile, Sunny is trying his darnedest in trying to figure out how long silence periods should last. He thinks there should be some at the very least--he's heard that talking all the time is both difficult to maintain and usually unwelcomed, not to mention unnatural--but he's never been the best sensor for this sort of thing. At least for now, he can preoccupy himself by carefully starting his way down the path, though of course there's also the matter of trying to walk side-by-side with his newfound companion rather than ambling in front of the other arrogantly. And trying not to trip, of course.
Oh, the pains.
Or should one say the plains? From this vantage point, the land below the two seems rather flat, with various varieties of hardy grass covering the landscape along with newly budding plants. A multitude of trees dot the landscape, with patches of woods being more dominant to the right side (where they are currently headed), and somehow the light of the sun makes everything seem even more of a lustrous green. Some small streams of water trickle through the landscape, a good distance away from the paths, and give the impression of leading towards unexplored lands. There are faint sounds of birdsong some distance away--perhaps sourcing from the woods--their notes pretty but casual. They have to save some strength for the rest of the day, after all. 
The Master and Servant seem to be a good distance away from the city itself. None of it is visible even from their current vantage point, at least not at first impression. 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

April 12, 2023 00:54:45  #24

Despite his shorter height and therefore shorter legs, Caster had no trouble at all with keeping up with Sunny. Is this the power of a Heroic Spirit? He does seem to be intentionally staying one step behind, though. And so, he continued on in comfortable silence. Until...
His walking was interrupted by the sight of the land. He stopped in his place, his eyes captured by the scenery in front of him.
Green. Grass. Trees. Water. Forest. Life.
What a beautiful view. How blessed he wasa to be summoned in a location like this! Nature in general had a special allure to the boy, as he had always been part of it, but his gaze lingered on the forest area. A new emotion appeared on his face. Hope? Expectation? 
He wanted to get there as soon as possible. Oh, they were going there, right? Judging by their path and his Master's previous words it was very likely. And, rather childishly, Caster wished he could teleport and be at the place at that very moment.
Ah, but no use wishing to get somewhere if you don't move. With newfound motivation and sparkling eyes (not literally), Caster rushed back to Sunny's side with a smile and a focus on the path before them.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 12, 2023 01:57:03  #25

Sunny stops to wait for Caster without even thinking much about it. His gaze reveals that their most likely destination is indeed the "there" in the Servant's thoughts, indeed reflecting the woods and path that he focuses so intently upon.
It's obvious from the young man's stride that he's someone accustomed to walking such terrains. Even ignoring his choice of attire--simple, warm clothing resistant against wear and tear and flexible for movement--he navigates the hillside smoothly, as if the current path they are taking is part of his daily routine. Not to mention, he shoulders his backpack easily, even though it seems to carry at least a modest amount of mass.
Nonetheless, even the surrounding scenery can only do so much to illuminate his demeanor. Instead, he seems focused on a final objective, and his words serve to accentuate that focus rather than break it when he asks Caster, "Where do you suppose we should go once we reach that point?" He points vaguely towards the direction of their mutual "there." "I assume you may have a preference of some sort...?"

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

April 12, 2023 19:34:47  #26

The boy was aware of his Master's movements. There was no current need to remark anything about the way he walked or carried his things. They were all details Caster would remember as part of Sunny's character. If one thing had to be said, though, it would be that he was happy with how Sunny didn't seem to find the trek unpleasant.
"Once we're there, hmm," Caster mumbled thoughtfully as he tucked a strand of hair behind his ear, all without ceasing his pace. "I'd want to see one of the little rivers from up close. Watersides are usually a good place to regain energy, even if for just a short while."
Then, unprompted, he added something else. "I like how the sun reflects on water."

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 13, 2023 02:33:41  #27

"May I ask why?"
Funnily enough, Sunny seems to slow down when he's concentrating. It seems he's genuinely interested in Caster's answer, even though the question itself could be seen as dull or typical. 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

April 13, 2023 16:54:50  #28

"It's pretty," he said with a shrug. "Sparkly, and only happens on days with clear skies."

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 13, 2023 22:01:13  #29

"Ah, so you have a preference for sunny days?"
Impressively, the irony of what he just said goes straight over his head.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

April 13, 2023 23:12:40  #30

"They're nice. But if all days were sunny days, they'd stop being special. Cloudy days are also okay."
He nudged a pebble with his boot. "And rainy days, and any weather. Do you like sunny days?"

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

Board footera