HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 24, 2022 18:01:00  #181

Re: The Lost Library 3.0 // Autumn's Homethread

Nice! Good luck moving forward from there! I hope you're looking forward to it :DD

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

June 29, 2022 17:24:49  #182

Thank you both!!

Autumn (she/her)
I do promise I check up on this place occasionally

July 5, 2022 09:35:06  #183

AP scores came out! all 5's this year yeehaw :^)
oddly proud even though most of them don't mean much but like now I get to place out majority of my first year college requirements! which is fun 

Autumn (she/her)

August 29, 2022 16:40:09  #184

Almost forgot to make my monthly post here oops fsljkfjsdkf

I'll be moving into my college dorm soon! Kinda nervous honestly, my roommate seems really nice so far but it's quite a bit of a change. I really don't feel ready for college lol

Autumn (she/her)

August 29, 2022 16:48:34  #185

Also: I've started Kuro no Kiseki recently and man!!! It's really good :^) the fan translation gets a bit wonky at times but for what it's worth I've been enjoying it

Currently I'm in the middle of chapter 5, and boy it got insane pretty fast, even by Trails standards. Literally shaking Van and Elaine for their backstories because argh they keep being evasive 

Autumn (she/her)

August 30, 2022 00:48:13  #186

I don't think I've ever heard anyone who's 100% ready for college. It always feels like we all are getting pushed into adult territory :')
That being said, good luck! I hope you'll adjust well, and quickly!

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 9, 2022 11:26:50  #187

GalaxianExplosion wrote:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone who's 100% ready for college. It always feels like we all are getting pushed into adult territory :')
That being said, good luck! I hope you'll adjust well, and quickly!

-Galaxian-

Super late, but thanks! I've adjusted somewhat but ahahaha midterms :^)

Autumn (she/her)

October 11, 2022 16:24:10  #188

actually out of pure curiosity

what do you all think I'm studying 

Autumn (she/her)

October 11, 2022 18:00:12  #189

pain

Your local Kacchan-obessesed Quirkless Failure

"We build a giant Hatsune Miku mech and get Shinji to pilot it." ~Me

I have almost 2 creative writing credits to my name and no I won't let anyone forget it

October 11, 2022 18:55:07  #190

Vectors

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 12, 2022 00:12:09  #191

I couldn't put my finger on it... but something in the stem field

I think I remember you writing about coding or something stem like.

Last edited by Time (October 12, 2022 00:12:34)

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

December 4, 2022 20:13:08  #192

Basket Cat wrote:

pain

true!!!!

GalaxianExplosion wrote:

Vectors

also true!!!! (unfortunately)

Time wrote:

I couldn't put my finger on it... but something in the stem field

I think I remember you writing about coding or something stem like.

yes lol it is stem

this is almost like 2 months late but the answer is engineering (with 5 question marks behind it because for the life of me I cannot decide between electrical or mechanical or aerospace. was also thinking of tacking on cs or math as a minor or second major but that makes my schedule hell)

Autumn (she/her)

July 26, 2023 18:11:37  #193

hi yes I know I haven't logged in for quite a while but I do promise that I was occasionally checking in on this place :') hope you all are doing well

if you've been wondering what I've been up to recently: I have a full time job this summer! I've been busy with that + art fight 

Autumn (she/her)

July 26, 2023 18:12:20  #194

oh my signature is burning my eyes because of the lighter textbox I should change that

Autumn (she/her)

July 27, 2023 00:35:51  #195

Oh hey Autumn!!

Great to you're still hanging around and dropping in! Hope you're doing well

Time

January 17, 2024 22:34:40  #196

it's been almost half a year! hello! I am still alive on discord mainly but my semester just started again so it's questionable how alive I will be in a few weeks time

recently (as in, in the last month) I watched Revolutionary Girl Utena for the first time, and finally finished Umineko: When They Cry. bizarre combination of works that have no obvious relation on the surface -- one is a kind of a magical girl anime and one is kind of a murder mystery visual novel -- and yet have so many shared themes that I could talk about for a while (the "kind of"
I absolutely do recommend both (I'd also love to talk about them if anyone is interested) but if you do watch (in Utena's case) or read (Umineko) please please please look up content warnings for both because oh boy do they both have some heavy subject matter and can be hard to stomach at certain points, especially if you go in blind

Autumn (she/her)

January 17, 2024 23:49:35  #197

It's always nice to hear from you again when you drop in Autumn.

Spin me a hook about these two! I've been piling things up in my story backlog anyways.

They both look like they have an older artstyle... I'm guessing Revolutionary Girl was made in the 80s or 90s, and while it says Umineko was released in 2016 on steam, is it like a port or smth?

Time

January 18, 2024 12:29:45  #198

:D would be glad to

You're correct! RGU aired in the late 90s -- its art style is very indicative of that era. As for Umineko, (I had to search this up), the games came out in the late 2000s. (Though the worldwide releases were from 2016-2017). Admittedly I did not play Umineko myself (I used this playlist to read) but I think the steam version uses the original set of sprites while the console releases use a newer set of sprites have a "cleaner" style. 

as for Revolutionary Girl Utena:

It's about a girl who wants to be a prince; about kids who want to break out of their coffins; about reaching an upside down castle in the sky. If that sounds strange, it is! Don't worry! Utena is very abstract at times, it's chock full of symbolism, and is absolutely brimming with subtext -- it is so, so rich, and that makes for a very mind-bending experience the first time you watch it.

More plainly, RGU follows Utena Tenjou, a girl who tries to emulate a "prince" from her past, as she is dragged into dueling members of her school's student council. The winner of the duels, it is said, will "get engaged" to the Rose Bride, a girl named Anthy Himimiya. It is said, that whoever Anthy is engaged to, they will gain the the power to bring revolution to the world. What does that mean? Who knows! (I mean..... I do. But learning the meaning behind the duels is a major part of the story.) Anthy and Utena's relationship is a huge part of the show (spoiler: they're lesbians), with how they grow as people, and learn to break free from their respective pasts through each other. It's arguably more nuanced than that, but through its characters the show tackles themes of gender, abuse, and what it really means to "save" someone.

as for Umineko: When They Cry:

It's a murder mystery.
It's also a story about witches and demons.
But it's a murder mystery.

On an island named Rokkenjima, 18 people are gathered for the annual Ushiromiya family conference. The Ushiromiyas are wealthy - insanely wealthy. A typhoon rolls around, isolating the island from the rest of the world, and then the family receives a letter from "the Golden Witch, Beatrice," who claims that if the family does not solve her mysterious riddle, then she will take everything that belongs to the family, including their lives. At first, it seems like a prank -- but then the first corpses are found. Umineko follows Battler Ushiromiya as he tries to solve the mystery behind his family's murder and the witch Beatrice.

It's impossible for me to say more than that, because I don't want to give too much away -- the best Umineko experience is to go in as blind as possible. Part of the fun is to theorize as you go -- who is Beatrice? Is she really a witch? Why is she doing this? No, no. witches don't exist. So then it's a human? No, because why would family members kill each other -- etc etc.
People love to call Umineko "peak fiction." I don't want to call it that, because "peak" is a term that feels limiting, and everyone has different opinions. It's absolutely a powerful work, but rather than seeing it as some sort of insurmountable work of fiction, I see it more as something that enriches your experience with other works because of how it constantly encourages you to think, and never stop thinking. 

I was about to continue with my rambles but I've realized I've already typed too much, so I'll leave it at that for now! 

Autumn (she/her)

January 18, 2024 15:59:25  #199

Wait is Umineko the one from which the tape screenshot thing came from? I have a vague memory regarding that lol

I love looking at recommendations even if most of the time I end up putting them on a to-watch list haha. Those two seem very interesting, and props to you for explaining them in the most spoilerless way possible 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

January 18, 2024 19:08:29  #200

SpecterTheGreat wrote:

Wait is Umineko the one from which the tape screenshot thing came from? I have a vague memory regarding that lol

I love looking at recommendations even if most of the time I end up putting them on a to-watch list haha. Those two seem very interesting, and props to you for explaining them in the most spoilerless way possible 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

YES HAHAHA Umineko is exactly what that was from! Even if you don't ever get around to reading/watching them I'm glad I at least piqued your interest <3 

Also forTime, if you're curious about what the duct tape screenshot was:

This is a major plot point!! And yes there is context but honestly I can't even get into half of what's going on without spoiling at least the first arc or three

Autumn (she/her)

January 18, 2024 20:58:48  #201

"Peak Fiction" huh? Ight then you have my attention.

Alrighty, they sound both pretty interesting for sure. I'll put them in my list, but lets see if they will ever call out to me whenever I'm looking in my backlog. You've piqued my interest as well.

I personally like the console's art style more than the original and the other "modern" art style that the steam version has, so I think I'll join in watching it on youtube like you if I ever get into it.

Looking at the two just off of your hooks, I'm thinking Umineko is tugging me better right now. Since I prefer supernatural and mystery over magical girls and romance, but you mentioning symbolism, subtext, and nuance is certainly enough to keep RGU on my radar.

Last edited by Time (January 18, 2024 20:59:02)

Time

January 20, 2024 13:48:39  #202

@Time: I'm glad it interested you enough to put it on your backlog! Also that's entirely fair -- I knew RGU was going to be a harder sell because it's really hard to talk about without delving too deep (and at that point, depending on your preferences regarding spoilers, it might ruin the experience). Admittedly I'm not much of a romance person either -- it was a friend of mine who convinced me to watch it, and the show is more a coming-of-age story than a romance to be honest. Umineko is absolutely a blast, even if it does make you go "what is even happening" every 15 minutes (fair warning though, the VN is... very long. It took me 2 years to read because I kept taking long breaks, but the VN is definitely the ideal way to experience the story your first time.)

Autumn (she/her)

January 20, 2024 17:47:22  #203

That's also very fair. But yeah, I try my best to not get spoiled about things I plan to look into (most of the times I fail but still). But I get you on that note. Loads of great things are hard to explain, and better to experience.

Wait, it comes in more forms than just the VN? Does it have any adaptations?

Time

January 20, 2024 19:13:56  #204

Time wrote:

Wait, it comes in more forms than just the VN? Does it have any adaptations?

It does -- mainly, the manga and the anime. I haven't seen either yet, but general consensus is that the anime is bad (it also stops midway through the story and supposedly makes one of the main mysteries unsolvable rip), but the manga is supposed to be pretty faithful and a good adaptation

Also, yeah, exactly. Sometimes things are more about the experience; RGU and Umineko are both good examples of that

Autumn (she/her)

January 25, 2024 11:45:58  #205

I'm more familiar with Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni but I love Bernkastel's design and theme song so much. (I'm not contributing much to this conversation)
Gonna add that the anime OP for Umineko is really great though xD
It's nice as always to see you drop in, Autumn!

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

January 26, 2024 21:25:33  #206

GalaxianExplosion wrote:

I'm more familiar with Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni but I love Bernkastel's design and theme song so much. (I'm not contributing much to this conversation)
Gonna add that the anime OP for Umineko is really great though xD
It's nice as always to see you drop in, Autumn!

-Galaxian-

Ah, Higurashi.... I started it a few months ago but then took a break from it. I was planning on getting back to it after I get through the first month or so of this semester (basically whenever I have the time to pick up a new thing to read) but whenever I do I will probably restart from the beginning (I was nearing the end of the first arc iirc but I don't remember most of the details)
And Bernkastel! She's an interesting character alright. I agree, her design + theme are really fitting
But also hey! Glad to talk to you again too Galaxian :D

Autumn (she/her)

February 4, 2024 16:50:39  #207

In other news: Project SEKAI continues to consume my music taste, please go listen to Cyberpunk Dead Boy (you can also listen to the Vocaloid version here but I have a slight preference for the SEKAI ver)

Autumn (she/her)

February 20, 2024 20:08:20  #208

DID SOMEBODY SAY PROJECT SEKAI

Your local Kacchan-obessesed Quirkless Failure

"We build a giant Hatsune Miku mech and get Shinji to pilot it." ~Me

I have almost 2 creative writing credits to my name and no I won't let anyone forget it

March 11, 2024 11:21:16  #209

Basket Cat wrote:

DID SOMEBODY SAY PROJECT SEKAI

yes LOL I've been a project sekai fan for nearly 2 whole years now
I could write essays on literally every character they all have wormed their way into my brain. Big surprise! Autumn likes the friendship miku game

Autumn (she/her)

Board footera