HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 20, 2023 19:17:12  #781

Re: "We don't know what to name this" - Chat thread for Time and Galaxian

(*laughs nervously*)

Yeah I'm used to just getting nuked without warning. xD F/GO likes its surprise mechanics a lot. But then you can just redo the battle and know the shenanigans. I guess that's strategy technically speaking (canonically speaking this is also why the MC is amazing; they went through the time travel hack only once so far iirc). 

Okay, I'm too much of a coward to remind you though, just so you know. I know you're busy anyways, so it's a good idea to be more considerate. Good luck in life and stuff. xD

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

October 21, 2023 04:02:33  #782

Though I will say I'm most likely not getting the best quality of sleep.

Yeah. That's really just a lot of video games I'm general isn't it. Fight fail and fight again.

Is it like, canon that restarting levels is a thing? Like hitting the restart button has a lore relevant plot point or something?

Ight. Same to you. Offer always open.

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

October 21, 2023 22:10:37  #783

Dang. Unfortunately, I'm not really surprised, but hope it gets better. Maybe drink a lil bit of warm milk before bed if you can. It might help.

If having to do the "same" battle twice in a row or not being able to beat a boss is in the story/code, then it's canon. Otherwise, it's just a gameplay thing xD. 

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 22, 2023 05:12:56  #784

I think it's because I sleep late and wake up somewhat late for the normal person. On top of this, I often use electronics and don't "wind down" though I do use electronics in the dark. I don't like lots of electronic light.

Oh ok ok that makes sense a bit. Time travel in battle is kinda cool I suppose. I was just thinking resetting battles is canonical because in Limbus Company, it's somewhat canonical to lose in battles and stuff.

Time

October 22, 2023 21:51:48  #785

Really? Are the people where you are not night owls? 
I do recommend on having at least a 15-minute no-electronic buffer time before bed. Though obviously you know this, you just aren't doing it--which is understandable. xD

Oh yeah, in F/GO you'll be scripted to lose some battles too. The battle ends after a certain number of turns have elapsed, or if you get through a health bar you get nuked or something. Plus characters will comment on how hard a battle was supposed to be. Is that the sort of thing you mean? xD

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 23, 2023 01:43:04  #786

Yeah, people are about, but everything is (mostly) quiet by 00:00, especially on school nights. It's usually just me and one other dude on my floor that are up when when time starts to creep into 01:00 and stuff. I usually only fully enact on my night owl tendencies during weekends, of course.

Remember when I was someone who had a normal sleep schedule actually encouraged others to do that too?

I guess...? I think back when you said the MC is canonically amazing at strategy and had to rewind the clock I somehow misinterpreted it and thought that losing battles in gameplay is explained in the lore itself.

Which made me think of Limbus Company, a game where if a character dies in battle during gameplay, there is a lore explanation as to why they are still alive in the next level/next part of the story.

Time

October 23, 2023 07:08:50  #787

Time wrote:

Yeah, people are about, but everything is (mostly) quiet by 00:00, especially on school nights. It's usually just me and one other dude on my floor that are up when when time starts to creep into 01:00 and stuff. I usually only fully enact on my night owl tendencies during weekends, of course.

We're definitely in different schools then, is what I can say. xD

Time wrote:

Remember when I was someone who had a normal sleep schedule actually encouraged others to do that too?

Yeah. What happened? Did you realize the inspirational wonders of 1 A.M., when no one is supposed to talk to you and most people are asleep and the inhibition impulses of your brain are mostly shut off? (:

Time wrote:

I guess...? I think back when you said the MC is canonically amazing at strategy and had to rewind the clock I somehow misinterpreted it and thought that losing battles in gameplay is explained in the lore itself.

Oh yeah, well, I'd say they're canonically amazing at strategy because they have to get through fighting world-ending threats consecutively without dying and without having access to boss gimmick guides. Plus canonically they have a set roster of characters on their side who might not have the greatest compatibility with each other and/or the fighting environment, while we players usually have like 60 different characters to choose from and teams of 6 customizable characters. With that in mind, I feel like usually (or occasionally?) not being able to beat someone first try is pretty dang good. (So basically, losing battles in gameplay is technically explained, but only for some, and it's usually temporary. Otherwise it's just us players sucking. xD)

Time wrote:

Which made me think of Limbus Company, a game where if a character dies in battle during gameplay, there is a lore explanation as to why they are still alive in the next level/next part of the story.

May I ask what that is since I'm most likely not gonna play it anyways?

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 23, 2023 22:58:10  #788

GalaxianExplosion wrote:

We're definitely in different schools then, is what I can say. xD

I mean there are just random loud people walking through the area during the middle of the night yeah, but I'm just thinking of my dorm in particular. Any night owls in the dorm hard to find because their either holed up in their room or just quiet and sitting around, you know?

GalaxianExplosion wrote:

Yeah. What happened? Did you realize the inspirational wonders of 1 A.M., when no one is supposed to talk to you and most people are asleep and the inhibition impulses of your brain are mostly shut off? (:

Yeah. Pretty much. Most importantly the "people not awake" part of it. Plus I wanted more time during the night.

GalaxianExplosion wrote:

Oh yeah, well, I'd say they're canonically amazing at strategy because they have to get through fighting world-ending threats consecutively without dying and without having access to boss gimmick guides. Plus canonically they have a set roster of characters on their side who might not have the greatest compatibility with each other and/or the fighting environment, while we players usually have like 60 different characters to choose from and teams of 6 customizable characters. With that in mind, I feel like usually (or occasionally?) not being able to beat someone first try is pretty dang good. (So basically, losing battles in gameplay is technically explained, but only for some, and it's usually temporary. Otherwise it's just us players sucking. xD)

Yeah putting that into perspective honestly makes it crazy. Like an actual strategic genius who adapts on the fly against world ending threats. I mean that's kinda crazy. And that is of course excluding the environment disadvantages and compatibility disadvantages. On a side note, I feel the low level of compatibility is a common trope in teams like these, isn't it?

GalaxianExplosion wrote:

May I ask what that is since I'm most likely not gonna play it anyways?

Sure, the explanation is pretty early on anyways so it's not like it's a huge spoiler.
The main character can "rewind the clock", healing a person's body as if it was going back in time. It comes at the cost of the MC feeling the pain or exhaustion of what they have to heal. In addition, this ablity is limited to a select few people that have a contract with the MC (the prerequisites of making a contract are unknown).

It can reverse fatigue, cure wounds, and even bring back people from the dead. The main group in this story aren't particularly powerful (yet), so instead they act more recklessly and rely on "numbers" to deal with stronger enemies (fight, get killed, rewind the clock, repeat)

Time

October 26, 2023 11:02:42  #789

Time wrote:

I mean there are just random loud people walking through the area during the middle of the night yeah, but I'm just thinking of my dorm in particular. Any night owls in the dorm hard to find because their either holed up in their room or just quiet and sitting around, you know?

The random loud people make up the unforgettable college dorm experience.
Your dormmates sound polite. xD

Time wrote:

Yeah putting that into perspective honestly makes it crazy. Like an actual strategic genius who adapts on the fly against world ending threats. I mean that's kinda crazy. And that is of course excluding the environment disadvantages and compatibility disadvantages. On a side note, I feel the low level of compatibility is a common trope in teams like these, isn't it?

Well, the information is provided by high-end tech, but it still is crazy to me too, like what you said.
What aspect of compatibility are you talking about? Personality, role, abilities-wise, or...?

Time wrote:

The main character can "rewind the clock", healing a person's body as if it was going back in time. It comes at the cost of the MC feeling the pain or exhaustion of what they have to heal. In addition, this ability is limited to a select few people that have a contract with the MC (the prerequisites of making a contract are unknown).
It can reverse fatigue, cure wounds, and even bring back people from the dead. The main group in this story aren't particularly powerful (yet), so instead they act more recklessly and rely on "numbers" to deal with stronger enemies (fight, get killed, rewind the clock, repeat)

Oh, I see, so it's like time manipulation tied to healing. Cool! 
So contracts just appear out of nowhere? Are they common or are they special plot-related events? Or maybe they all happened at or near the beginning?

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 26, 2023 21:54:24  #790

GalaxianExplosion wrote:

The random loud people make up the unforgettable college dorm experience.
Your dormmates sound polite. xD

I shouldn't say dormmates, hall mates? Because dormmates makes me think roommates. But nah, it's just there are more quiet people compared to loud people. Don't mean they're nice.

GalaxianExplosion wrote:

Well, the information is provided by high-end tech, but it still is crazy to me too, like what you said.
What aspect of compatibility are you talking about? Personality, role, abilities-wise, or...?

Usually the first thing that shows up in my mind when talking about compatibility is personality. Because it's a lot more interesting than compatibility issues with powers.

GalaxianExplosion wrote:

Oh, I see, so it's like time manipulation tied to healing. Cool! 
So contracts just appear out of nowhere? Are they common or are they special plot-related events? Or maybe they all happened at or near the beginning?

Yeah, though mental awareness does not revert to before the clock is rewinded. It's helpful that people don't have to be briefed again on what is happening every time, but of course that means mental scars do not heal.

There have been a total of 12 contracts so far, and all of them have been in the prologue of the game. The actual details of making a contract is unknown. Apparently each character with a contract is specifically chosen, and have a "resonance" with the MC. It's a plot point that's rather mysterious and has a high chance of being explained later on (like a lot of other things in this game lol).

Time

October 26, 2023 22:09:44  #791

Rip.
I read "hellmates" xD

Oh, okay. I was meaning more combat style-wise (practically speaking, not gameplay-wise). In F/GO I feel like personality differences contribute more to humour than they do to plot (mostly because a large portion of the starting plot requires the MC's team to be cohesive; they don't have the time to deal with betrayal and conflict within their group xD)

Yikies. 
Yeah see, the details being unknown feels sus. xD I guess I got that part? Maybe?

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 27, 2023 01:20:25  #792

Well, my roommates were good and such so you were correct on that note

Oh I see I see well that's still interesting too you know. But y'know, I do enjoy serious character conflict within the team. Sorry to tie it back to LC, but while the team is doing better in terms of relationships currently (with exceptions), they were originally killing each other in their first few interactions 💀💀💀.

What's a few more memories of severe trauma when you already have a team of mentally unstable people?
Yeah there's a lot of stuff that's the story is promising for payoff down the line

Time

October 31, 2023 16:39:04  #793

That's good xD

No worries about tying it back to LC [which for me stands for Lost Canvas, I got confused for a second xD], that's kinda how conversations work I think. I guess you like that sort of strife then. Do you enjoy in-team betrayals, or do you just like it when they're all kinda lowkey trying to kill each other?

Looking forward to you reacting when the entire team implodes from the inside (metaphorically speaking)

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 31, 2023 23:36:36  #794

tense alliances that ease into ones that are more favorable are nice. I mean, it certainty made a first impression on how much they don't work together when they actually kill each other. Shows how far they have to go if they want to work as a team.

Taking that metaphor, I wouldn't say it to be wrong to say that such a thing has happened already 💀

Last edited by Time (October 31, 2023 23:36:54)

Time

November 1, 2023 19:40:23  #795

Wait, so did they actually kill each other? Or did you mean how they tried?
(Also does them not getting along mean they're better at killing each other or is that a separate matter)

rip (lol)

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 2, 2023 01:40:01  #796

Wait yeah I rewatched the scene and like, they didn't even kill each other for anything big, I think a few of them were arguing and then someone else killed them for being too loud. When they were revived, the ones who were arguing just got up and were about to start killing each other until someone else stepped in bruh 💀. Goes to show how much they don't like each other, or how much they respected their leader (the MC) back then.

We love laughing at fictional character's truama we love it lol

Last edited by Time (November 2, 2023 01:40:45)

Time

November 2, 2023 10:24:14  #797

Bruh xD. At least they sound like a lively group. I'm sure they could spawn lots of incorrect quotes.

I was imagining them imploding chibi-style and not being hurt in the slightest, idk what you're doing that's my alibi at least haha

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 3, 2023 14:40:03  #798

I know right it sorta feels like that. A wide variety of personalities for sure. Huh. I didn't really explicitly think about it for now, but all the characters have a pretty defined personality that makes them really stands out, which is nice.

Oh uhhhhhh mb 💀. When you say implode, I was thinking exploding internally --> mental explosion --> mental breakdown lol. I'm still standing by that.

Time

November 3, 2023 21:00:07  #799

Ooh. Do you think they were initially built around tropes, or did they maybe get developed differently? 

Your version somehow sounds more violent xD. But since you know the characters more I'll just trust you on, uh, them having mental breakdowns. Haha?

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 4, 2023 03:51:34  #800

Well they were all initially built around stories that come from around the world (ex the main character is based off of the Divine Comedy). But I've heard some characters can be somewhat different from their book counterparts.

Yeah I think is because lots of the time the story is serious in tone.

It remidned me of an interpretation of the story was that may be relevant. That is: every character on the team has some sort of thing they grieve over. Whether that be a person, a dream, the past, the future, a moment of inaction or wrongful decision, something that they lost or something that they gained, every one of them grieving, and the MC is acting somewhat like a therapist, going through the motions of trying to peel back layers of pain as the story goes on. It also helps add onto that feeling when the enemies characters fight can be representations of humanity's sins and dreams.

So like, with that in mind, I think mental breakdowns aren't really that uncommon. That, or just having general truama.

Time

November 4, 2023 10:56:16  #801

Oh, okay. I'm guessing you haven't read the book(s?) then? Do you plan to?

Dang, that sounds serious. (Seriously depressing.) Is there something that's getting in the way of them reconciling with their own feelings by themselves, or are they all kinda just angsty? 'Cause it sounds like the MC has their work cut out for them xD

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 4, 2023 16:59:43  #802

I have definitely been considering it. The most I've read is a part of Don Quixote. I'm thinking of building myself up on reading stuff. Read the short stories and then go to the actual books. It can help a lot with theory crafting for future events and comparing characters

Yeah I think all the games that ProjectMoon makes are extremely depressing. They're all pretty angsty too, yeah. As for what is stopping them from reconciling it's usually a character/personality thing + events that are unresolved coming back.

Last edited by Time (November 4, 2023 17:01:20)

Time

November 5, 2023 12:00:51  #803

What're your thoughts on Don Quixote so far? I've been meaning to read it since forever but I keep getting distracted. xD

PTSD moment [sad]

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 5, 2023 18:39:55  #804

Oh I read that part of Don Quixote YEARS back, but when I did, I actually found it quite enjoyable, or at least that's what I remember. I need to personally reread it myself, if I want to remember everything. I just remember vague stuff like about a duel, windmills as giants, etc...

Most mentally stable person living in The City

Last edited by Time (November 5, 2023 18:40:35)

Time

November 6, 2023 10:46:43  #805

The elements you're mentioning sound familiar.

Wait, are you saying the MC is the most mentally stable? I think I kinda lost track of the conversation thread.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 6, 2023 16:12:09  #806

I think I'll start with the short stories first, you know? The ones that are like, 20 pages, like The Wings and Hell Screen

No it's just a goof. I realize now thinking my explanation as to why I said that you have to do some mental gymnastics 💀
We were talking about how everyone has trauma, how depressing the ProjectMoon universe is, and the fact you said "PTSD moment [sad]" made me think you were talking about the Sinners, so I say in response, "Most mentally stable person [should have been people] in The City" as a joke, implying that everyone living there is depressed and angsty. Kinda like "happiest man in Birmingham", which I think you should be familiar with.

But also yes you are correct the MC is definitely the most mentally stable of the entire group

Time

November 6, 2023 18:54:24  #807

Oh heck yeah, stories that are shorter than the textbook readings I need to do. Do you have any recommendations? I'm sure you've read some in middle school (and high school probably too) that I've read too. The first one that comes to mind is "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson. (which btw leads me to smh at the readers, like why in the world did some people react that way to a story lol.) 

Oh okay, I thought I was dumb. Well, I am, but in that particular way. xD
Ah yes, I definitely was talking about the Sinners. Who are they? Not that I don't already know, ofc. 
Ah yes (x2), Birmingham...where I am. Yes. (/j btw I have never heard that saying before)
I sure am learning lots of new things from you btw. Thank you xD

Do you think sanity and mental stability are correlated with each other, or is there a point where if you get insane enough you become mentally stable again?

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 7, 2023 00:15:18  #808

Oh yeah, I remember The Lottery! I remember the story, but I just completely forgot the title. Some short stories I really liked were like, ones by Edgar Allen Poe like "The Cask of Amontillado" and "The Tell-Tale Heart". I especially liked the former because it was often a reading that would be used for essays and tests, so I already knew what to look for and I could just revisit and build upon my ideas.

Oops my bad. I should straighten things out.

The Sinners are the names of the playable characters in Limbus Company. So when you said PTSD moment I was assuming you were talking about the playable characters.

What? You haven't? I though we talked about it on someone's homethread, maybe Eliza's or Axel's. --> yt link with some swearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS94-_zy3Dg

Hmmm... yeah they should be, right? At least a little bit? I'm no psychiatrist but they correlate with each other at least for a little bit? Could they be the same thing?

Time

November 7, 2023 14:17:12  #809

I read "The Tell-Tale Heart" too, I remember not being mentally prepared for it at all.

Sorry if you mentioned the Sinners before. My memory with terminology is not great. 

I searched up Birmingham on the forum and nothing showed up. I don't recall partaking in that convo at all, but it's possible the search function is kinda screwed, idk. 
Anyways, dude is so happy. I'm jealous. 
(Also took me way too long to realize they weren't talking about Birmingham Alabama lol)

Idk, I know one of my characters is so insane they stabilized at that point, whereas others kinda just go off the deep end. Probably not the case for real life though. Not sure whether or not to add hopefully at the end there.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 7, 2023 21:57:30  #810

Nah, the only place I mentioned it ever was in the absolute mess of ramblings on my writing thread ha. So you're good.

I remember the origin now. It was Ash's homethread, and it was Me, Ash, and Axel talking about Bloodborne. The city of Yharnam has a lot of European influence and has a lot of unfriendly people on the streets, so I made the joke of:

"Average Yharnam resident: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhKR5yeNrrw" (it's the same guy just in a different vid)

I find it funny because Axel's comment is referencing the video I just posted here 💀

Who know the inner machinations of the human mind? Something something science and such.

Time

Board footera