HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 6, 2023 12:15:09  #391

Re: An Amateur Artist's Art Array ~ Specter's art collection

Wouldn't you like to know what happens next in this dream?
Please turn to the next page of this picture book no one has ever seen.

(I love the cage-shaped background)

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

October 7, 2023 21:14:58  #392

sleeby

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

October 14, 2023 18:57:43  #393

I have a bunch of wips and stuff I want to draw but instead I started this piece and focused on it.

I heavily referenced this image for the pose and the general composition and atmosphere though I'm afraid the curtains didn't come out as nice as I would've wanted. I also referenced another image for the outfit but I can't find that one again. 
I had a bunch of commentary in mind as I was working on this but I've forgotten most of it. Something noteworthy tho is that this is officially the largest canvas I've worked with and I found it to be a really good experience. I've yet to try it with other coloring styles, but I really liked that I had an easier time adding the details (even though this isn't a very detailed work). There was more room to work with in general even if the save time lagged exponentially.
The coloring is me still experimenting with the watercolor brushes because I love the texture. This time I pretty much did a lineless and then added borders on the same layer. I'm a bit sad that not all the colors can be clearly seen because of the light-dark effects I added on top but I also kinda like how that turned out! Another thing I played around with for the first time was chromatic aberration. I feel it adds a sort of "vibe" to the finished piece. However, testing it out with other sketches, I also found that it only looks good with larger canvas sizes. Otherwise it really does distort the colors.
Click here for the plain version:

Even though I like gems a lot I think I should probably brush up on how to draw them. And one last thing of note is that I was too lazy to write something on the book so I just scribbled whatever. Idk what it even is about.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

October 14, 2023 21:38:01  #394

OWO IT LOOKS SO PRETTY AAA

Edit: Forgot to add that I really like the style of rendering/shading you did

Last edited by Echowo (October 14, 2023 21:38:23)

Echo
he/him xe/xem
Hektor's #1 Simp, Live Laugh Love Hektor
lil angst gumdrop
“If he be Mr. Hyde,” he had thought, “I shall be Mr. Seek.”

December 2, 2023 20:47:32  #395

Sketch art moment. Just testing out brushes and stuff.
What's bro looking at? (He's looking at my pfp and judging me)

The piece I mentioned in my homethread. I originally drew him buff on accident but I fixed it later (a pity since it would've been nice to draw a buff character well for once, but welp, no problem) anddd it was fun to do the pose without references iirc since when drawing the sketch a pair of months ago I made a point to try to freehand the male body structure. It came out pretty well I suppose bc when I came back to it I didn't worry much about fixing things.
Anyways this is a bit of a lazy piece because the coloring is choppy and I didn't even do lineart, but I ended up focusing a bit more when I was doing the final touches. Even then you can see the airbrush shading and stuff and well like I said i was testing new brushes and new options. 
I don't know what the context for this is, why is he out at night, why is he standing on water, why does the whole thing look like that idk I just thought it would be cool sooooo yup I think that's all I have to say. Fun piece. Good practice, I hope.
Btw @Time I didn't remember which arm was the black one so I just went with the one on his right. I hope it's okay lol.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

December 3, 2023 00:25:05  #396

SHEEEEEESHHHHH

That is GOOD.

Even tho you say it's lazy, I like it, as an avid lazy no-line-art artist myself.

Oh also btw I do think it is the right hand lol. I forget it a lot too.

Last edited by Time (December 3, 2023 00:26:00)

Time

December 4, 2023 15:11:48  #397

OOOOOO

I LIKE THE RENDERING, TASTY TASTY TASTY

ALSO I LIKE THE BACKGROUND AND WATER

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

December 5, 2023 15:51:18  #398

I forgot to say that I specifically like the reflection in the water!

And the airbrush looks nice, mmm texture

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

December 5, 2023 17:54:08  #399

rendering really just takes anything to a higher and greater level

Time

December 12, 2023 17:14:02  #400

This is quite the late reply lol but I'm happy you guys like it! I'm pleased with how the piece turned out and I like the water reflection. Airbrush was just for shading and the reflection is with a new brush I'm testing out (does it matter in the end if I blurred the whole layer???) and the lighting on GGaD!Time. Really a lot of this is just seeing how to best use brushes and layer effects.
Something I wasn't sure about is if there was too much blue in the scene, and also I didn't want to take away from some lil details in the sky. Anyways, it was fun to do and a very instructive experience. Also @Time lol I'm sorry if there's design parts that aren't too accurate, I just sort of made up something to go on Time's leg since the ref didn't have that part visible bhfhf.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

December 13, 2023 04:10:03  #401

No I think the leg thing and design is overall accurate! The leg thing I think was supposed to be some sort of holster anyways iirc...?

Time

December 14, 2023 12:48:32  #402

I had a crazy idea a few days ago, and it turned out to be kind of charming, I think. Usually I tend to focus on one or two characters at a time both when I'm drawing or devving...but what about the relationship between characters? How do they compare to each other in terms of design and art, and height? I wanted to find out and so I drew my F/DA AU characters all together to see how their heights look when compared to each other. 
Partly posting it here because with how much I think about the AU I'm probably going to talk about it at some point in one of my threads and people will be confused without a lot of context so now you can be confused with a mental image for reference :3

Two important things to note:
1. If one or more of the characters reminds you of my GGaD characters it's because it's them. But the AU version. So, not the exact same, but the idea is there.
2. I speedran this thing because the idea was too intense and I wanted to get it done before tomorrow. So excuse proportion errors (I can see a bunch) because this was made for the general vibe of the characters. And yes I used flats because if I'd shaded, even with a multiply layer, this would have taken much more time and I was dying to finish it.
But the general quality is decent. I worked with the designs I have currently [Dec 14, 2023] because for starters some of these are WIPs that I will likely tweak a bit or a lot in the future. As of rn, I mostly like how they look. It was also a reason why I made this. I wanted to see how my characters' styles and physical appearances compared to each other when directly side by side. As you can see, it's pretty varied, and I like that.

Now onto some thoughts for the character art, left to right in order:
Ianthe - She turned out much more "emo" than I want her to look, but I really like the way that color palette fits her. So this is something I'll look into fixing, lol. Her outfit was fun to do even if it looks slightly bat-ish with her veil cape and stuff. Ianthe is the solid tallest out of my side of the F/DA cast but she almost always wears heels so??? I tried to level that out in the drawing by giving her the usual heels and marking her height at the point it really is. 175 cm.
Nyoko - I love dressing her up in clothes but I feel I could've done better with giving her a more iconic outfit here? The coat is very plain. She's so pretty though. As a fun note, I love giving her hats (berets especially) because it reminds me of how I used to draw GGaD!Bixbite with hats to cover her cat ears. No cat ears here (unfortunately?) but the beret looks super cute on Nyoko. Her shoes don't really have heels so that's her real height. Minus the hat.
Dion - Purple looks good on him ngl. I don't think I have many things to note about his design since it's pretty straightforward, but I guess his shoes are fun to do since I don't draw a lot of shoes like that. It feels like his outfit is much more casual than the other characters' and I like that. 
Aisline - My favorite one to draw out of all my cast by far. She's so pretty and I really like the warm colors in her design, plus she pretty much always has an autumn vibe to her. It can't be seen from the front but her hair is in a bun. My note here is that I need to practice patterning for her clothes, and I like the thingy around her neck. Doesn't she look super nice and friendly? For some reason I feel she also looks a lot shorter than she is lol (especially at Dion's side). 
Assassin - From here on there's class names (sort of like code names Ig) so none of the following are the characters' actual names. And hopefully this is noticeable but their clothes are supposed to be much more fantasy-oriented than practical. Anyways, I had the idea of doing poses that sort of fit with the characters' attitudes, and it was going pretty well and pretty tame until Assassin came in like HAHA POSE! and she took up more space than I had planned but it's all good cause look at how happy she is. I like the way her outfit colors contrast with her skin and hair and overall I think she looks pretty good. She's the second tallest in the whole group.
Caster - The shortest one in the cast but it's because he's a literal child (if we don't count him Aisline is the shortest one). Also why are children's proportions so hard to do? Whatever, Caster is super cute. Just look at his eyes. When desgining him I worked with the idea of making him slightly androgynous but I'm not sure if the result really shows that? I like the colors though, especially the variations between parts of his outfit that are white and gray and then much darker. Once again, I need to practice patterning. But he's really cute. I could squish his cheeks.
Lancer - Finally, poor Lancer, I've redesigned her outfit so so so many times. And I might continue doing it, who knows? But she's so purple. I love her. She might also be the most recognizable out of all the characters? Something to note is that I tried to toy around with the idea of assymetry in designs (because I always make everything too symmetrical, WHY?) and that's why she only has one arm covering. But then the rest is symmetrical again. She looks nice at least, and I struggle with her shoes a bit because I know she doesn't like closed shoes but I also didn't want to design her with plain sandals so this is what I settled on for now. I still can't draw feet though. Also, is it just me or is her design a bit too purple? She has her hair in a braid idk if it's visible.

It was super fun to do this even if it's a rushed work. I think what I got from this is that I tend to stick to a single color for characters (most noticeable in Aisline, Assassin, and Lancer) and then their clothes are just variations of it. I like how it turned out but maybe I should work on giving more highlights with different colors. It was interesting to see the height comparison too because I tend to draw the characters by themselves and they look just fine, they look normal. But when placed next to others, the design changes slightly xD I noticed this with Aisline and Caster especially since they're so tiny and Caster just looks TINY TINY next to the others. Anyways, super cool! I forgot what else I wanted to say hehe but yeah.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

December 14, 2023 13:26:21  #403

OHHH TIME FOR FANART CENTRAL BABEYYYYYYY

Also owo designs <3

Last edited by Echowo (December 14, 2023 13:26:44)

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

April 24, 2024 17:41:25  #404

It's been a while since I last posted something huh
Anyways this is something I did rq for a character appearance update for a server I'm in. His name is Valère (or Val for short) and he used to have his hair dyed black but he took the dye off and restyled his hair with another character's help. So I took the chance and did a fullbody of him for the first time.

I think I haven't done any fullbody renders since last year tbh. I had to use Medibang instead of CSP for reasons this time but I think I did pretty well even though I didn't have the custom CSP brushes available. I'm trying to figure out if this is a viable way to do shading. I originally tried for hard cel-shading but I find myself always falling back into the airbrush habit (and also I seem to be too shy when adding shading for some reason??? help???), so I guess I'll have to figure something out? Despite errors here and there I think the png result looks pretty cool. 
So yeah. Don't want to leave this thread without updates now and then. I'll see if I can pick up some other projects with Medibang and finally get back into the drawing habit again, but only time will tell.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 25, 2024 23:45:16  #405

OWO PRETTY

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

April 26, 2024 13:15:29  #406

NICE 👍

SpecterTheGreat wrote:

and also I seem to be too shy when adding shading for some reason??? help???

I've noticed that I'm also too timid when it comes to taking more risks in shading. I guess the only way to find out what works and what doesn't it to just take the leap and trust the process, you know?

Time

Board footera