HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2022 23:25:21  #901

Re: Time's Boardhost Homethread - Time's Boardhost Homethread

With that attitude it doesn't

Echo
he/him xe/xem
Hektor's #1 Simp, Live Laugh Love Hektor
lil angst gumdrop
“If he be Mr. Hyde,” he had thought, “I shall be Mr. Seek.”

September 28, 2022 00:02:18  #902

I see the trap you are laying by trying to bring me down to that level, so I refuse to follow it. Give me a proper counter Echo

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

September 28, 2022 02:58:28  #903

Time wrote:

meat or vegetables to produce a "broth"

Cheese soup be like:

This is giving me middle school flashbacks lol

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

September 28, 2022 10:04:47  #904

I'm not really a soup guy so tell me about cheese soup

Time

September 28, 2022 21:31:03  #905

Nah I searched it up

And guess what type of ingredients I commonly see? Chicken broth and veggies and all that sort.

Time

September 29, 2022 00:09:47  #906

That's because Caucasian people seem to like overcomplicating their soup. Also, if you're arguing this topic, "commonly" doesn't mean "always." The point is that it can lack a broth and still be a soup, or even that it can lack vegetables and meat and still be a soup. Anyone debating this kind of topic needs to come up with a logical, commonsensical definition that can be shared before they can start arguing their stances, or else it's just people stating their opinions based on their own definitions of the terms.
Now, for me, I would argue that the difference comes in the base consisting of boiled water, but then someone might start calling watery macaroni and cheese soup, which I don't think would be very agreeable either, haha. 

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 29, 2022 02:08:07  #907

Yeah of course there is always exceptions to everything. I was considering my definition to include the word boiling (that meats and vegetables are boiled to produce a "broth"),  but I decided against it,  since I just felt like it would be another way for others to counter or over complicate things.

I feel that most of these types of debates are more just arguing definitions and comparing them,  since if everyone had a definition that could be shared, questions like whether a cereal is a soup or not comes fairly simple to conclude. Unless somehow different interpretations can be made off of a single definition,  which I don't doubt,  but when it comes to something as specific as to the definition of soup,  I'd think that it would be hard to come up with multiple interpretations from one definition.

As for the original question,  is cereal a soup,  Galaxian?

Time

September 29, 2022 13:39:24  #908

True. There is no universal definition. But I do think there are definitions that are more agreeable and can thus be used as a basis for arguments. 
You're asking me? I dunno. Opinion-wise, I'd say it isn't, because I instinctively categorize cereal and soup as being different. I guess they make me feel different? It's like how meats and vegetables are separate in my mind, in a sense. Cold soups aside, I usually think of soup as being warm at least, and personally I am not a fan of cereal in warm milk. It makes the cereal all soggy and disgusting real fast. So their purpose is different for me. Soup is for rejuvenation, while cereal is more for waking me up in the morning. 
Another aspect that might apply is physical/chemical reactions. For instance, is soup defined by putting something edible in water and soaking it? Boiling it? Or, maybe certain types of cereals would constitute as "soup" while others wouldn't? For example, Lucky Charms have sugar and food coloring that dissolves in the milk and makes it purple, and I don't think most people would consider purple milk soup. However, I'm no connoisseur of soup types or of food science, so I'm not too sure whether physical/chemical reactions apply when stirring cereal in a bowl or when making soup. (I do think I know that sugar dissolving into water is a physical change, while cooking is generally chemical...if I'm wrong on the first one, please just kick me back to grade school, I beg you lol.)

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 29, 2022 21:48:46  #909

Well yeah, obviously. Like the mostly assumed things such as soup is a liquid dish that usually is consumed with a spoon among other utensils.

Now that you say that. Yes. I agree. Cereal is not a soup. Cereal is categorized as primarily a breakfast meal (until it's eaten late at night)

But on that note, is there any soups you are aware of that use a different base to make soup? Ex. boiling milk or something.

Time

September 30, 2022 01:29:21  #910

I dunno, I think this is more of a dialogue than a debate because we more or less have the same claim; I'm just less direct about it lol. I'd be interested in hearing from the other side since I haven't completely decided yet on an objective level.
I don't think I've ever made any soup other than chicken soup, so I wouldn't know. 
Hmm...that kind of reminds me of porridge, though. And oatmeal. Those are also boiled. And like I mentioned before, the oily base + milk reminds me of macaroni and cheese, too. But those all seem like mini debates in their own right.
Oh, and rice soup exists, though that's also a water base. It's just notable since it counts as soup even though the only components are water and rice, which you may note is not a meat/vegetable/dairy option but rather a grain, and there's no broth like you defined (or maybe I misdefined broth).
And adding onto that, if I recall correctly, arroz con leche (a type of pudding) is made similarly to rice soup, which raises more questions too lol.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 6, 2022 00:34:30  #911

Sorry for dropping the convo Galaxian. Maybe I will pick it up later.

But I'm getting kinda infrequent with the posts. Schoolwork has been a really big pain for the last week or so a d I haven't been able to put that much much time here.

It's wild! Just today this morning there was so many posts in the recent post tab, and when I return, there's only two recent posts!

Time

October 6, 2022 00:34:53  #912

Or was that just yesterday...?

Time

October 6, 2022 00:37:46  #913

I know it's not the best in priority and we always advise against it when we're busy with work, but I feel like I have to devote at least a little bit of my amounts of free time to responding to as many posts as possible here because I like it when this place feels more active.

Time

October 6, 2022 00:48:41  #914

No worries about the convo. It was fun while it lasted.
I think I get what you mean, though I think of it more cynically than you do and then don't really act on it. 
By the way, if you can't get to form acceptance, just let me know and I can do it. I reckon I can get to it faster than you because of different school schedules between us.
And as always, good luck with schoolwork and life!

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 6, 2022 22:10:17  #915

No I'll be able to handle most forms still I think, because I like to read them

Time

October 9, 2022 01:36:42  #916

Bruhhhhh whenever I get less active I always worry about the things I don't answer to and then I eventually forget to answer   

Time

October 9, 2022 20:25:57  #917

I do conventions at times. I heard that twitchcon is going on right now. I didn't go to twitchcon all because I don't watch streamers and I could care less for twitchcon... BUT it does make me realize that conventions have... guess what... POPULAR PEOPLE. ESPECIALLY POPULAR PEOPLE FOR NERDS. Like nerds that are popular within the "nerd" community or is it "geek" community? I don't know the term. Whatever. The community that has the people that like stuff that isn't as mainstream.

Wow aint that crazy. I never thought it that way. There's like, huckleberries there and stuff.

Time

October 9, 2022 21:44:25  #918

WHAT IN THE WORLD HUCKLEBERRIES I SAID CELEBRITIES HOW DID IT GET HUCKLEBERRIES

Time

October 9, 2022 21:57:54  #919

HUCKLEBERRIES XD

Popular kids but for nerds XD

Echo
he/him xe/xem
Hektor's #1 Simp, Live Laugh Love Hektor
lil angst gumdrop
“If he be Mr. Hyde,” he had thought, “I shall be Mr. Seek.”

October 11, 2022 00:22:28  #920

Anyways after unneeded use of capslock

I didn't check in at all today... oops.

Kinda wanna kickstart some rp or some small plot at least.

Time

October 11, 2022 01:27:21  #921

Bruh why do the best arts you do come from doodles?? I was just sitting and doodled on a piece of paper and it looks nice  I think it's just the idea of not carying

Time

October 11, 2022 01:27:34  #922

carring

Time

October 11, 2022 01:27:52  #923

caring

Time

October 11, 2022 09:46:24  #924

Chainsaaawww Chainsaaawww Chainsaaawww

I realize what I just typed may sound weird in your head if you don't know what I am referencing, but thats ok

I am ready for 3 things
1. People to call it chainsaw mid (carried by animation)
2. The possible and likely corruption of the fandom as anime onlys/the larger mainstream audience is brought over (bad takes, weird shipping stuff, whatever)
3. For me to most likely be happy with the product becuase what matters is my enjoyment, not theirs.

Time

October 12, 2022 00:18:58  #925

I have not watched the first ep yet of csm. It's because I've been prioritizing homework but I have listened to the full op.

I say it's highly chaotic, which fits one of the aspects of the story, in that it's, surprise surprise, chaotic.

I was surprised in the part where the music went from like... rock or whatever it's categorized to one with a full orchestra.
I couldn't help but think of the theme song of a certain blue magician that has a part in his theme that does the same exact thing and that likely only me and @Axel would know of.

Time

October 12, 2022 00:30:11  #926

Oh! And I also loved the movie/tv-show/manga/anime/pop-culture references and just how stuffed the op was with them. I personally haven't looked at a lot of the stuff, but I'd like to, since many of them are to be classic movies and stuff.

I like how all of the references were also in larger reference to the author being a movie buff and how he takes inspiration from many movies

Time

October 12, 2022 12:57:14  #927

Shoot tomorrow is a big day for me. Lotta tests and presentations

Time

October 12, 2022 21:25:41  #928

You can do it! Remember to drink water before those presentations so your voice doesn't give out on ya

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 13, 2022 00:48:59  #929

huh, look at that. I did post here today! Nice.

Hopefully by the end of the week, I'll be able to to ramp up my activity again

Time

October 15, 2022 20:43:59  #930

I am thinking of things...

Time

Board footera