HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2024 17:23:30  #9151

Re: The Idea Fortress πŸ­πŸ‘»πŸ­ Specter's Homethread,

I'm ngl you mentioning it is tempting me more to download the game xD Again, I might, though rn I'm kind of busy even though it's vacations, so we'll see what my time is like when things clear out a bit. Besides, I haven't caught up with F/GO story part that came out in December, and I haven't even played the current event yet waaaaa
I'll say though I think what interests me the most about Limbus is the characters. Lately I've been on a mission to read as many classics as possible since I've finally gotten permission to do so and thoughts of books and characters have been consuming my mind so idk maybe I'll cave in or something. I might have to reread your analyses and stuff eventually because I'll be honest I don't really remember a whole lot about what you've writtenΒ πŸ’€ and rn I'm all hyped about canon story Ishmael lol
Have you read the story of Don Quixote or a summary of it? I know it's general knowledge in the Spanish-speaking environment I'm used to, but I don't know how it'd be for English speakers.Β 

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

February 2, 2024 17:39:24  #9152

That aside, I remember a few posts back @Time you asked about rope metaphors and I finally got around to reading some. Autumn was right in what she said (ofc do keep in mind she studied the book while I'm just reading it for fun lol) but from the way I understand it and definitely my favorite part of the metaphors is that people's fates are linked to other people/events they have no control over. No matter how well you manage your own part, there are things that can pull you our of your desired path and stuff. This is brought up because of an event with cutting a whale or something in which Ishmael and Queequeg were tied together at the waist with a rope, the former standing on the ship and the latter hanging overboard to take care of the whale. Anything going wrong would send them both into the sea, but Ishmael notes that no matter how hard he tried to keep his solid standing ground to make his friend's work easier, the other moved around in reaction to things that were going on overboard (sharks and water movements and slippery whale skin and stuff) and it seemed that at times both of them were going to be lost in the waves. I personally really liked the thoughts that the author writes through the main character there, so I'd say that the metaphor really stuck out to me in this part.
I'm constantly looking out for any even slightly romantic implications between the characters lol I know it's not the main point of the book but it's a little bit of a meme between me and my friend now because when I mentioned that I was reading Moby Dick, the immediate reaction was to ask if I knew that it has queer implications and send a video something something "Reading Moby Dick until something gay happens" and I think our whole exchange was actually hilarious.
That said, I'm greatly enjoying the book! Maybe more than I should, lol, cause I've noticed I'm getting a littttle obsessive over it, and I already know what happens to my mind when I start to get like that. I haven't finished but I'm drawing close to what seems to be the final stretch (if we count in remaining pages) and I can't wait to see what happens next now. I feel like I could write essays on the story and the metaphors and stuff, and I kind of wish I could but also I'm super lazy so no. What I want to do when I'm finished is to look up some analyses and then look up some references from the story that I didn't catch. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to stay calm about it haha, uhhh organize my thoughts and stuff so I don't just post the nonsense that goes on in the thing I call a brain.Β 
It's interesting that it's taking me so long to read, bc normally I just straight up eat books. I wouldn't say the narration is dense, but there is a lot to unpack and I've found myself rereading paragraphs to make sure I understand the content correctly. It's requiring me to use my memory about historical, biblical, and mythological references too just to understand similes and stuff like that tbh. Β 
Β 
Also @Autumn if you read this please tell me your interpretation of what happened to Pip ))): I dunno if I should take the narration at face value or if it's hinting at something else (like at least one third of the narration is implied to be foreshadowing and I'm still not sure what to think about that)

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

February 2, 2024 19:05:50  #9153

Man, some people really love walls of text...(I am one of them when it comes to lore, than you video games)Β 

Β 

Yeah, I'm active here like every day, no I don't have a life outside video games, GGaD or college.Β  And yes, I do love this place in case it's not clear.Β Β 

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I do change this siggy often too.Β 

February 3, 2024 01:44:34  #9154

Yeah I think Limbus could help with looking to read a lot of more classics. There are of course the 13 classics that are apart of the main group, but I think there are a few other characters that reference other books as well.

As to Don Quixote, I did read it years back when I was probably 9 or 10, but that was probably a decently shortened version and I probably couldn't fully appreciate it since I was an actual fetus. So I'm thinking of reading again it sometime soon for extra context and references for Don's chapter. For example:

SpecterTheGreat wrote:

which Ishmael and Queequeg were tied together at the waist with a rope,

No shot, this actually happened in the story πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€. See what I mean by references?

SpecterTheGreat wrote:

It's interesting that it's taking me so long to read, bc normally I just straight up eat books. I wouldn't say the narration is dense, but there is a lot to unpack and I've found myself rereading paragraphs to make sure I understand the content correctly. It's requiring me to use my memory about historical, biblical, and mythological references too just to understand similes and stuff like that tbh.Β Β 

Actually, when did you start this book? Because it makes me wonder and want to compare like, reading speeds.

Also thats cool, I love a book that tests your knowledge on like historical, biblical, and mythological stuff. It's a challenge for sure, but it can expose you to more stuff to look into later.

Β 

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

February 4, 2024 17:07:46  #9155

Time wrote:

Β Ah that may be something. I most games I play really long so that's probably why I can't get much of a playthrough. It may also have to do with mindsets. Just to compare, when I start up a new playthrough, I predict that I will make a full run through the game, no matter how long. Is that the same for you? Or is it more just reliving the game once again?

Ah, that might be it. I don't have any qualms about playing longer games but very rarely do I actively start up additional playthroughs of them (ex: the Trails games. I put like 130 hrs in my first playthrough of Cold Steel 4 and though I've tried a second run I haven't really made much progress on it because I just cannot find it in me to commit to a new run, no matter how much I love that game); if I want to revisit certain parts, I'll typically search up specific scenes on YouTube or something. When I boot up a new run of Pokemon, though, I'm really just doing it for the gameplay, because that's where my fun is.

SpecterTheGreat wrote:

Β That said, I'm greatly enjoying the book! Maybe more than I should, lol, cause I've noticed I'm getting a littttle obsessive over it, and I already know what happens to my mind when I start to get like that. I haven't finished but I'm drawing close to what seems to be the final stretch (if we count in remaining pages) and I can't wait to see what happens next now. I feel like I could write essays on the story and the metaphors and stuff, and I kind of wish I could but also I'm super lazy so no. What I want to do when I'm finished is to look up some analyses and then look up some references from the story that I didn't catch. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to stay calm about it haha, uhhh organize my thoughts and stuff so I don't just post the nonsense that goes on in the thing I call a brain.

Ahahaha I don't blame you for obsessing about it, it's a good book for sure! And don't worry about organizing your thoughts, sometimes just randomly speaking your mind helps you sort things out. There's so much you can analyze about the book that it's impossible to make one single comphrensive analysisΒ 

SpecterTheGreat wrote:

Β Also @Autumn if you read this please tell me your interpretation of what happened to Pip ))): I dunno if I should take the narration at face value or if it's hinting at something else (like at least one third of the narration is implied to be foreshadowing and I'm still not sure what to think about that)

Ah, what part are you at? Admittedly my memory regarding Pip is kind of vagueΒ 

Also yeah I remember when I was reading Moby-Dick I also had to constantly slow myself down because of how full every paragraph was

Autumn (she/her)
I do promise I check up on this place occasionally

February 5, 2024 17:01:51  #9156

I started the book on January 15 andddd I finished it today. Haven't been reading daily though, like last weekend I wasn't able to read anything. For comparison, the copy I have is roughly the same size as my copy ofΒ The Fellowship of the Ring, and that one took me more or less a week to read through.
I think I'm going to try to hold my thoughts for a bit (until tomorrow probably) and then see if I can organize anything, because there's some things that were very interesting to me. Feel like I need a reread of it with like my phone at my side to look up specific stuff and vocab, and stuff like that yk, but it'd take too long so I'm just going to check back on specific parts to make sure my memory is following along. Very good read but I am left feeling like I don't know what to do now after finishing. For context: I was completely unspoiled for everything, including the ending and well lol.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

February 7, 2024 19:53:33  #9157

January 15th to February 5th? Thats... 4 weeks right? I don't think that's too slow, especially with a book that has older text like Moby Dick. Actually, say, how hard is it to understand? Is the hardest part about reading it all the references that it's making or something?

Oh, you'll write about it? Well then, I'll be looking forwards to reading that if you ever post it.

Time

February 9, 2024 17:04:57  #9158

Brain is not braining this week. Saying I am SO tired to do anything feels like understating it but at the same time I'm not doing much except housework so... what the heck lol.

But yeah, I'll write about my reading thoughts. It's not going to be anything facy or stuff like that though, probably more over the place than expected. I want to pick up another one of my books already but my mind won't let me be at peace until I write down something at least, so I can't read anything else yet.Β 
I think that the hardest part is that there is just so much to take in. Like reading an encyclopedia if it had a plot. It's a lot of fun (I've learned more about whaling and ships than I ever did in my entire life) cause I love learning but also it's laced with the similes and stuff so it becomes a little bit harder to understand than if you were just reading a regular storytelling novel.
Just my opinion, but I think that what eats up a lot of the reading time is trying to understand the new knowledge. You can't speed through it with full comprehension unlike a dialogue or something. Or something. Idk honestly, maybe for some people it'd be an easier read, and for some it'd be unbearably dense, but take my thoughts with a grain of salt as I'm someone who thoroughly enjoyed reading the dictionary when I was a kid.
I can't stop thinking about Captain Ahab ngl.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

February 9, 2024 17:08:00  #9159

GAHHHH COLOR CHANGE JUMPSCARE

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

February 9, 2024 17:09:03  #9160

for context I clicked onto the main page when stuff was still black and blue so it looked really weird

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

February 9, 2024 19:51:21  #9161

Oh I see, yeah, that may be a tough read for me probably then. Encyclopedia but with a plot. I mean, I think learning about ships and whales could be cool but still... all your talk of it makes it very enticing.

Time

February 13, 2024 21:42:03  #9162

It's extremely enticing I can tell you that. The information parts actually go well with explaining the story events and they're told through Ishmael's pov which I find interesting because he adds his own comments here and there. His opinion is everywhere.
I'm also having brainrot over the story and it needs to stop
but today for the first time I listened to the audiobook version from an audio series I love ("Mi Novela Favorita", classic novel audiobook summaries I HIGHLY recommend if you know Spanish) and it was so much fun to hear the characters voice-acted and with the sound effects and all. Ofc it basically skipped over the encyclopedia-ishmael parts in favor of telling the story but I feel it kept the esscence very well (it completely excluded Pip though and I am extremely sad about that though) and with headphones it was like I was in 3rd person pov there hearing everything unfold and it was really great.Β 

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

February 14, 2024 00:34:44  #9163

It's good to hear that the information parts are more than just lots of info and builds things. You know?

Ah that sounds pretty cool. The audiobook version that is. All story no infodumping and voice actors and sound effects? Pretty epic.

Stop your brainrot now.

Time

February 20, 2024 21:00:15  #9164

Thank you it really helped (it didn't 😭 )

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

February 20, 2024 21:02:08  #9165

The information part fromΒ Moby DickΒ is one of the most interesting parts of the book and you can't convince me otherwise. Ofc I understand why summaries and stuff leave it out, but... anyways that made what I think is a hilarious exchange
"I just want to see a Moby Dick adaptation that includes the infodumping and exposition 😭😭😭"
"That, my friend, would be called a documentary."

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 1, 2024 10:08:33  #9166

I was thinking on how it seems everyone here is getting sick and today I woke up feeling like I'm about to come down with somethingΒ πŸ’€ internet virus moment??

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 1, 2024 15:39:00  #9167

NOOOOOOO

Be sure to internet social distance from now on for a bit then I guess

Last edited by Time (March 1, 2024 15:39:42)

Time

March 12, 2024 17:36:41  #9168

Why is it so easy to sit down and write blocks of chat text but when I want to sit down and write stuff on my word document my inspiration immediately disintegrates
(I am begging my motivation to let me finish my text on thoughts on Moby Dick)

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 12, 2024 19:41:36  #9169

Random theory, but my guess is that there is a high chace that someone will actually look and respond to such messages. It's much more active, compared to writing on a doc.

Time

March 17, 2024 19:10:12  #9170

Little inactivity notice, hopefully be back next weekend or next week!

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 18, 2024 00:37:52  #9171

I wish we could send out little reactions on here so it shows that we acknowledge a message but we don't have to write up a long thing

But with that said, acknowledged! See you in a bit and stay safe!

Time

March 31, 2024 19:00:50  #9172

Anddd it's been QUITE a while but I think the off days are finally over. It's been such a great time really but now I just want to glue myself to my bed and just never stand up again.
Classes started this week so we'll see how it goes. I also got an idea for a tiny personal project which might actually make it off the ground for once so lol. And uhhh yeah that's it I really want to get my hands on paper and draw but I'm so tired rn

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 31, 2024 23:22:48  #9173

hmm

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 4, 2024 22:17:27  #9174

https://youtu.be/dNBhtm4AlYo?si=U1qBpGj22rp4aoyE
His sacrifice will not be forgotten πŸ˜”

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 8, 2024 09:01:38  #9175

Just thinking about how the Ba Sing Se arc shows that no matter how plucky your young protagonists are, they cannot win against bureaucracy.
And (that aside) the whole thing had veryΒ 1984Β vibes. Yeesh, creepy.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 8, 2024 10:28:14  #9176

Trying to clean my keyboard with a lil brush and I'm finding so much cat hair that I'm actually concerned.
On another note I don't like being judged by evil Saga whenever I send a post.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 8, 2024 11:34:57  #9177

Going back to my spamming clothing folds on clothes era I'm not sure I like this

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 8, 2024 21:36:03  #9178

SpecterTheGreat wrote:

Just thinking about how the Ba Sing Se arc shows that no matter how plucky your young protagonists are, they cannot win against bureaucracy.
And (that aside) the whole thing had veryΒ 1984Β vibes. Yeesh, creepy.

This reminded me that my DND party has a running joke of hating buraucracy ha.

Just sitting there and filling out contracts for our jobs. Doing paperwork when we go into a new territory. Determining that the worst insult we could ever give someone is calling themΒ bureaucrats. It's funny.

Time

April 10, 2024 09:05:56  #9179

WE HATE BUREAUCRACYΒ πŸ—£πŸ—£πŸ—£πŸ—£πŸ—£πŸ—£

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 10, 2024 09:16:56  #9180

πŸ’―