GGaD

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 7, 2023 22:45:13  #811

Re: "We don't know what to name this" - Chat thread for Time and Galaxian

Dang, still my bad though. I'm really bad at keeping up with lore as terminology goes. Compliments on maintaining that writing thread, btw. I could never.

Oh, I probably missed it then. I think when I don't login for 2-3 days, the recent posts feature doesn't show some posts, so I don't see them. 

Wait, what comment?? I'm seeing only one post by Axel made today, and it was on the turtle lamp poll Russet posted. I think I'm losing it, man. 💀

Something something what we see is only what our brain perceives so basically nothing is truly real or really the truth.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

November 9, 2023 03:17:52  #812

No worries really. You kinda do keep up a writing thread on your main homethread tho. There's always some sort of long text on there. I do wish I could write more content for it tho.

Oh no, I think this was months back by now.

That line of thinking kinda peeves me every now and then. idk why.

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

November 9, 2023 14:25:27  #813

No, that's just my homethread, with my usual rambling nonsense xD. 

Well, that's only annoying to you because of the way your brain perceives it. (Joking, ofc.)
May I challenge you in that line of thinking and ask why it might peeve ya? Is it because it's uncomfortable? Or feels wrong?

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 9, 2023 21:49:28  #814

Yeah, I mean, what I'm trying to say is I feel you post enough long posts to upkeep a writing thread if you were to seperate them from your homethread. That's practically what I do.

I think it's because it's getting into the field where I actually have to use my brain to think about it and I already do that sort of stuff for a lot for my schoolwork and my hobbies and while I think I could listen and talk about it, I don't always want to.

Time

November 9, 2023 23:34:54  #815

Oh, I see. Interesting to see the difference in how we coordinate content on threads, then. For me, I keep it all on my homethread, one, because my sense of organization is horrendous, but also because I don't really consider any of it writing. My posts aren't like yours, where you're purposefully trying to give your opinion and insight on a topic; it's my opinion seeping through everything. xD
Plus you know how it is with what I write and length. Most everything I type is long (this post, case in point). Doesn't make it "writing" per se, at least in my view. 
And that's not to mention, I'd feel bad putting it on a writing thread, which to me implies that I hope others will respond.  
See, why did I feel the need to elaborate this much on this single topic? xD I think I am proving my own point. 

Oho, getting rebellious, are we? 
Okay, in all seriousness, you're fine and don't have to respond to that. I'm just prolonging posts a bit so the convo doesn't die. But I did say that I'd be fine with it dying out naturally,,, haha hypocrite moment. 

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 10, 2023 19:26:50  #816

I suppose so. I think a lot of my writings are just summarizing too tho for people who aren't familiar with the subject, and that's basically everyone.

Also, that is true just because it's long doesn't make it "writing". It can just be a really long post of communication or whatever and not "writing". But idk, some of your posts are still structured in a way that makes it look like writing to me.

I mean, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to hope that others will respond. to your writings. That's just expressing what you want. For example: yes, I'd like people to read and interact with my writing thread. That is what I hope for. But I know that getting responses concerning longer posts is always harder, so I'm ok if nothing really happens whenever I post something.

What I think I'm trying to say is that for me and my writing thread at least, while I hope people interact and read it, I know people also have the choice to not do so, and I'm ok with that.

Time

November 11, 2023 00:44:14  #817

Imagine actually providing context, lmiao.
I do try to be somewhat structured in what I post, but my sense of organization is extremely iffy, so it varies a lot. I can usually follow my line of logic kinda well at the very least, but again, that ties with how sometimes I'm not necessarily posting so that others can follow along. I try but I don't try. 

That actually reminds me of something in the community rn. I'm hoping you might remember the possibility of expanding this forum so that separate roleplays can be added. If you do, I wanted to ask if you have any new thoughts on that? 
Second, do you think the activity and interaction levels between the different forumers here are normal? Or optimal?
I've been trying to look at these and I think a new perspective would be nice. But if you can't think of anything, please don't find the need to zoom out and try to look at everything. I was just wondering if maybe you've been thinking about this sort of thing, or maybe your mind has subconsciously been on a related topic.

On your writing thread, I think that's a healthy way to go about it, and that's what I'm trying to go with too. But unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), the change in mindset does also come with a decrease in willingness to share some things.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 11, 2023 01:48:02  #818

I see what you mean. Honestly as long as it makes sense for you, you know? I try and structure my things when it comes to writing, but I don't have an exact system.

Yeah. I'd be down. I'd like more scenarios for storytelling. That would be cool. It's just the worry of a new rp receiving traction. Everyone has characters that are already pretty well established, have relationships, and already have forms submitted. Trying to go through everything all again can be sometimes pretty unmotivating (Though I do like the idea of sparking new relationships). So I think if it were to be a success, the RP would have to have a very compelling idea + maybe a decent starter plot to make sure enough character interactions happen? After main intros, ofc.

What do you mean "interaction levels between different forumers?" I mean, everyone interacts with everyone every now and then. Things get slow, things get fast.

Yeah. I'm guessing you're gonna have to evaluate how much you want to share and how much you don't. See, that's something interesting, because I never really considered that for my writing thread. At least for the most part, because most of it is going to be largely me analyzing external things rather than reflecting on myself. That stuff is for my homethread (if that is what you were getting at)

Time

November 11, 2023 13:25:13  #819

Y'know, the funny thing is that I actually feel like GGaD itself has somewhat stalled, where some really fun character relationships have already been established but the characters themselves don't really have opportunities to shine because of how nothing really happens much nowadays.
So for an RP, do you think it'd be just a roleplay, or more of a forum-wide one? 'Cause a forum-wide roleplay would share space with GGaD, and I'm trying to think ahead on how organization might look like. 

And I apologize on that wording. I'd finished a 5-hour phone call (with my mom xD) and I was really not in a coherent state of mind. I meant how easy it is for different forumers to converse with each other, how much they can do so, if the forum's an environment that lends to that, etc. 'Cause it's not like I see the area of interaction as being a huge issue, but I have noticed that most of us just kinda stick to our friend groups most of the time. And while our community is really good at sticking together as a whole despite that, I thought it'd be cool to get more opportunities out there for all of us to be able to talk and plan with people we haven't talked to as much, if that makes sense. 
The above isn't about how fast or active the forum is, btw. I fully understand that sometimes there's gonna be slower or faster moments. We all have busier and/or more committed schedules nowadays.

I can never be too sure what I mean. xD But I for sure don't distinguish between whether what I analyze is internal or external. I think no matter what, I just slap any sort of analysis on my homethread. That's a cool way to go about it. 

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 12, 2023 14:04:50  #820

I do feel this as well. Most well established characters are somewhat stuck in the mud socially now since many characters they've had established relations with are now largely inactive.
As for the RP, I think both could be good?? a FWRP gives the freedom for people to make what they want, but it can be aimless and lose momentum if nothing is done, while a standard RP can be more direct, since there's usually a "host" at least in my experience with the forums, but limited with what characters can do in the exact moment (though that really isn't usually an issue).

What if we did both? like some sort of hybrid. For at least the start and the beginning plot. I have a few ideas, but what do you think about a hybrid model of some sort?

Oh, and yes, that makes sense too. I do think if this is an interesting enough rp, we can get everyone in on it, which can lead to lots of more interaction.

Yeah. Fair enough, everyone has their own way going about things.

Time

November 12, 2023 15:40:08  #821

Yeah, that too, and also how we still are a kinda small community. I'll note that I've stopped participating in plots for the most part because I feel like I detract from them overall, though I do know that Echo has also chosen to make his characters more casual in-roleplay. Ever since the forums' time, I've noticed that I'm actually not very good at roleplaying lol, despite how much I enjoy doing it. 
By the way, just to make sure we're on the same page, we are talking about a roleplay (no matter the scale) that is separate from GGaD's premise and world, right? Something still based on GGaD's premise would be more of a plot or AU in my view. 

I'm not too sure what you mean by hybrid, like I get what you're getting at but don't know how that would look like. Could you please specify on that for me? Sorry for not getting it. 

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 13, 2023 13:44:53  #822

That's fair enough as well. Understandable.

Yes. I am thinking of something entirely different from GGaD's premise and world. Is that what you are also thinking as well?

Well I mean hybrid as in like maybe... we create a new thread for every new scene or something like that. You know? And we return to specific scenes when we need to, It's more of an organizational thing. That, or maybe for the first part it acts like a standard rp, but then later on it opens up and allows people to just open new threads and stuff.

But now that I think about it, we would also have to consider stories that are linear/nonlinear? GGaD's timeline can be quite vague at some times, while a standard RP is more straightforward on the timeline. I think also usually the momentum that standard RPs carry can be stronger since all posts are focused on one thread. But if that thread dies off, it's basically over for the most part.

Last edited by Time (November 13, 2023 13:45:56)

Time

November 13, 2023 19:02:01  #823

Yessiree. GGaD is fun (an important reason why it's lasted this long, I think), but most of it is about its divinities, and we have more of a limited cast of them nowadays anyways.
What you're saying is very true. If an RP's thread goes dead from not enough people responding, then the RP itself kinda dies. But forum-wide roleplays need a more general premise and yield the creator(s) less control, and it can be harder for new interactions to come up, at least after the roleplay's introductory period is passed. Similarly, like you said, standard roleplays are much more inflexible for chronology compared to FWRPs, but that does also help anyone sorting out plots for everyone to be able to take part in.  
Another thing I'm considering is character variety/moderation. These are connected to the world and story, 'course, but...actually, I'll stop there just in case I drag my overthinking into your thinking process. xD But maybe this can spark something on your end? 

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 14, 2023 01:16:23  #824

For sure, no I think all these things are to be considered when developing a new event here. I was also more or less just thinking out loud. But yeah, character variety is something to think about, but you can't do too much with that unless you incorporate slots. Personally, back in the forums, idk if I was too big of a fan of sorting characters to have specific powers or limiting slots or smth. Yeah, sorting characters is cool, but maybe as long as they didn't have an extreme effect on interactions maybe...?

I was thinking maybe if we are to test the waters, a standard RP would fit better. If it's sucessful, it can be grown.

Last edited by Time (November 14, 2023 01:16:44)

Time

November 14, 2023 14:07:05  #825

I'm not a fan of the slots idea either. It feels very constraining. 
It feels really hard to create a roleplay xD, more so than even a story signup. I think the idea is pretty ambitious in its own right.

Oh yeah, this seems like a good time to bring up that Zane actually contacted me about where his story/world would fit in context of this forum, and that he said he wanted to be included in this sort of conversation. Obviously our convo here isn't really the formal talk that the community would have, but I wanted to note that before I forgot. 
I'm still caught up mentally in what the forum would be named if we expand to trying out new roleplays here, btw. xD Maybe the GGaD Gang? Or maybe we actually go with A Nice Little Group. I dunno.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 16, 2023 00:17:26  #826

I think they can still be good so there isn't an overflow of characters and such. Just in moderation.

Yeah. it can lowkey feel like trying to work a ttrpg campaign but easier imo. It's still difficult tho.

Zane bringing up his world could be interesting. We could create a separate rp or something like that. Though I wonder how similar it would be to GGaD.

I was thinking A Nice Little Group yeah. But what about something like A Nice Little Group (GGaD) or something? So that people that may be trying to search for nostalgia can still find us.

Time

November 16, 2023 23:14:26  #827

I like how every year there's this annual talk of how we should maybe boost our numbers lol, just like there's a time of year where various people return for a bit. It's like a tradition.
I keep forgetting that you play tabletop roleplays, no wonder you're used to moderating. Really neat. 
And in bringing up Zane, I didn't mean the new roleplay idea we're talking about would be for Crimson's world, because that's related to GGaD, even if by a little bit. But ofc, I'm not eliminating the possibility of him trying to start up that idea himself, once we edited the forum structure and whatnot. 
"A Nice Little Group" really does counteract the entire "expanding the forum" idea. It's interesting how we're talking about a smaller scope than the conversation topic going on in Ishmael's homethread (which I'm not responding to out of fear of being overbearing btw xD, I'm following it the best I can though). 

-Galaxian- 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 16, 2023 23:40:13  #828

That is actually true it is a topic that we approach at least once a year.

To be frank, I'd say I'm used to moderating because I frequently take leadership positions irl. But idk if that translates online very well. I think I do best in TTRPGs when I'm a player, since I can craft a character arc and I'm rather good at inciting cool interactions compared to your average player.

Yeah, for sure. For sure. Plus, if we were creating a new rp, I think it would be cool if it were in a different genre than GGaD (I mean, lets be honest, GGaD is primarily high fantasy even tho there is modern and sci fi stuff).

Ha. I suppose that is true. But I think the "little" part of it denotates to more the fact that it's more tight nit than anything else.

Time

November 17, 2023 14:39:38  #829

I'm just "good" at fluff and specific angst moments xD. Also judging people from the backline.
Yeah, you're definitely not biased in wanting a sci-fi RP, amirite? xD
Ok, counterpoint: Psychologically, newcomers would probably not identify with that definition.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 17, 2023 17:01:37  #830

Whattt no, surely not. Why would you think I would want something like that??

True enough. That's what I was thinking about as well. But for now it stands true. Idk what it would be called. I mean in terms of internet numbers whatever size we amass will be considered little imo. I mean. It wouldn't be little to our perspective but still.

Last edited by Time (November 17, 2023 17:01:47)

Time

November 18, 2023 00:31:40  #831

I wonder. The thought just crossed my mind, but there's definitely no rationale, like your favorite genre being sci-fi or something similar. Silly ol me.
Yeah, the conclusion is just "idk." 
This reminds me of how the internet is apparently becoming less accessible to kids being able to gather together, like how we had the OG forums. Nowadays it's just social media like Tumblr or games or wherever people gather nowadays, apparently.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 19, 2023 16:24:41  #832

Yeah. I wonder why that happened too.

Yeah. I guess that part is interesting too. I've heard things like the internet becoming less and less like the wild west (the online version of it at least). Not saying the forums were the wild west because that stuff was just so safe and contained, but moreso the internet overall being reformed.

edit: when i say "the online verison of it at least" I was trying to say that it's obviously not the wild west, but the internet started quite untamed and now it's becoming more tame. Like the Wild West

Last edited by Time (November 20, 2023 23:18:13)

Time

November 20, 2023 20:21:25  #833

I remember a theory about it just not being very conducive to marketing efforts, but I'm far from knowledgeable in that area. I guess it makes some sense.
Do you think it's true? I myself don't really go on many sites, so I can't tell. xD

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 20, 2023 23:19:41  #834

Yeah. The internet at it's original core wasn't marketable friendly.

I somewhat believe it to be true. You can't say loads of things on the internet today, but just a few years back, they were considered commonplace.

Time

November 23, 2023 22:59:39  #835

I'm kinda curious what parts of the internet you're talking about xD. If you're talking about sites like...idk, Facebook or something, they're technically like private businesses, right? So technically they can't be generalized to the internet as a whole. But then again, with how ubiquitous they are, maybe they can...? I dunno xD, just curious lol.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 24, 2023 02:50:44  #836

You're right on that note.

Maybe I should say that in general, the internet was just more edgy back then overall. It simply wasn't as regulated, you know? Not as, "advertisement friendly"

Time

November 25, 2023 01:57:13  #837

Actually Galaxian I did have a question or thought for you. Imma post my "forumfic" sign up somewhere, should I put it in sign ups?

Time

November 25, 2023 13:13:34  #838

Yeah, please put it in signups. Thanks :D

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 25, 2023 21:51:42  #839

Wait I thought you meant Signups in Writing, sorry xD (I moved it over there for now, it might be moved later on if we revamp the forum organization but yeah)

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

November 25, 2023 22:24:21  #840

oh wait there was a signup in writing?? Mb I didn't even know lol

Time

Board footera