HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 23, 2023 21:03:42  #751

Re: "We don't know what to name this" - Chat thread for Time and Galaxian

No I have not. But I wouldn't be surprised to find something like that.

When I first thought of it when you brought the topic up, I was thinking of a fanwork in action/development already and the creator goes "Hey. That's cool. Let's make it canon"

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

September 24, 2023 14:10:25  #752

Yeah that definitely feels a bit unlikely xD. The creator would definitely be chill tho lol

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

September 24, 2023 21:02:25  #753

Anyways, I feel we are reaching the end of this little tangent.

What were we talking about before this again?

Time

September 24, 2023 21:13:47  #754

Yeah. xD That's okay though, conversations have to die eventually. And so do their segments.

I sprung some random F/GO gameplay facts on you and that's what started this current bout of conversation, if that answers your question. xD (the answer is "we technically weren't" lol)

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 25, 2023 01:08:22  #755

Alright, well, I was thinking about asking about the story, but, I am guessing that the story is going to be one that is super complex and convoluted... is that true?

Time

September 25, 2023 11:49:29  #756

Uhh...the story for which one? xD
Overall, I'd say the series is pretty easy to navigate as long as you don't listen to the memes of it being hard to understand. And of course, as long as you watch the OG (Fate/stay night). 
The lore is another matter, but honestly you don't have to be an expert on the lore to be able to enjoy any particular spin-off, so it's pretty much a matter of worldview and jargon (at least I think).

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 26, 2023 19:15:52  #757

Hm. A lot more simple huh. As an outsider, it always looks more complex...

Have I said that already?

Time

September 27, 2023 12:28:59  #758

You said something similar, but it still makes sense so...xD. 

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 28, 2023 01:31:57  #759

Well then, how is FG/O's story in terms of complexity?

Time

September 28, 2023 13:09:24  #760

Not very, at least if you go through the entire thing as you should. But I'm saying that as someone who started with the main series (Fate Zero, Stay Night) and watched a few spinoffs (Apocrypha and Lord El-Melloi II Case Files) before playing the game, so it's possible that I have an advantage in understanding.
Basically, you get taken to a place called the Chaldea Security Organization, located somewhere in Antarctica, as a fill-in Master. (They literally didn't have anyone else who was a better choice.) But things quickly take a turn, and now you, an ordinary human and less-than-exemplary mage (very bad actually), now have the burden of having to save the world and restore humanity. You do so by going through Singularities, which are distortions in space-time where the events/history in them are not what is recorded. So by going to those Singularities, you are basically doing a lil time-traveling to a point in time to pinpoint the source of the distortion as well as fix it. 
F/GO is not known for having the best story at first because,,, it probably started off as a moneygrab that wouldn't last long (so basically now it's a moneygrab that has lasted longer than expected. lol), but later chapters get wild, and I feel like it's very good at making emotional moments, elaborating on interesting lore, working with big casts of characters, and creating memorable moments. Essentially--as long as the story matters to you in some way, then I don't think you'd have any problem following it!

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 28, 2023 16:38:43  #761

From what I see, not just a less than exemplary mage, but the characters that represent the player are quite.... the lively type. You know?

So the story starts a little ehhh, but as time goes on it gets a lot better?

Time

September 28, 2023 17:28:15  #762

Oh yeah, Gudao (the guy) is the embodiment of "And they ask you how you are and you say you're fine but you're really not fine and". Meanwhile Gudako (the girl) is agreed by the fandom to be the embodiment of insane depravity (gacha and uhhh. "simping." Let's put that as that. Yeah) [story-wise she's also someone who says she's fine but is really not fine and]

Yeah, the story chapters are usually written by different people, and so sometimes that turns out better than...other times. :')
There are a few chapters that are famous for their quality, while a few chapters are infamous for the same reason. 
Let's just say that there are benefits and costs for getting so many different scenario writers and artists/character designers. xD

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 29, 2023 00:48:54  #763

Ok but like, how did it get so bad that they really had to get to the bottom of the barrel to get depraved people.

Oh, and also do Gudao and Gudako exist at the same time? Or like, is it either or?

Hm that kinda sucks. You just don't really have stability in knowing how good or bad the next chapter will be... do well received writer make returns?

Time

September 29, 2023 11:03:06  #764

I think I'm unintentionally misleading you on certain areas just because I think the topics are funny xD
Let me make it clear, in-canon (as in in the story) Gudako and Gudao are both just normal humans. That's the point. They're not very good mages at all, but their personalities aren't too out there. So that's why the need to have them be the savior of the world makes the entire situation so tense. Their personalities are pretty ideal as self-inserts go, maybe with a lil added trauma and love for mechas lol. But the fandom imagines them differently, and Gudako is usually seen to be a lil more wacky than her male counterpart (both of them are simps and gacha addicts, but Gudako is usually cute or crazy, while Gudao...is calmer about it. I guess). 
For their gender, my personal interpretation is that Fujimaru Ritsuka (the official name for both protagonists) is genderfluid due to a certain summer event, but some players interpret them to be different people fulfilling the same role in different universes, and sometimes people like to think of them as twins/siblings. So the answer is...they may or may not exist simultaneously depending on interpretation. It's hard to say what's canon because you can switch the gender of your player constantly xD. 

The writing consistency doesn't fluctuate that much. I think. It's generally been on an uphill trend for the main story, though I don't know how they select writers. There's speculation that if you screw up your chapter you'll get delegated to a more minor writing role, but because it's a team of people (different scenario writers coordinating together for the overall plot), I don't usually see individual people being pointed out in the later game. In the early game, you would've had a better idea of whom was doing most of the writing. 
On that topic, the main writer for the OG visual novel (Fate/stay night) is called Kinoko Nasu, and I think most people in the fandom agree he's pretty good at what he does. There are some criticisms for sure but honestly I haven't seen too much of a problem. He's pretty much the only person I can think of regarding "well received writers making returns," since he's kinda the boss of it all lol. Otherwise I can only think of someone who did a chapter called Septem (located in Rome), who I saw got a lot of criticism despite it being pretty neutral overall in my view, and someone who's inferred to have done Agartha, which everyone hates. (:

-Galaxian-

Edit: Forgot to add that both protagonists canonically have Halloween PTSD. If that helps any.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 2, 2023 00:10:12  #765

I see, well that's good to hear that the writing/store is getting better and better. Lowkey, I get a little nervous if there's a new release for series or games or whatever. Even if there is a strong track record, who knows what's going behind those scenes?

Time

October 3, 2023 21:11:16  #766

I can understand that sentiment, but I think maybe I'm a bit more chill on that. For once I'm more chill on something. xD
Then again, it's probably because I have a lot of exposure to mediocre spinoffs (SS spinoffs in more recent years have not been too good in the quality department, outside of artstyle). So basically I'm not chill and just calloused. xD

On a different note (though you can of course continue on that vein if you wish), have you been doing anything with Ignas? Thinking more about him? Or nah? 
(No particular reason for asking this, just curious lol.)

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 4, 2023 02:30:43  #767

I guess so. Most of the games I've looked into are ones that are already decently reputable with good reviews on story. I haven't really had much experience with games in where I'm waiting for it to come out or during live service

Actually, I would say that normally I'm ok with most games, it's just ones that have a bumpy ride during development make me nervous, which I think is natural.

On that different note, no, I'm not doing much with most of my characters. Only ones with some sort of role in the DoF is sorta active, and even with that, nothing is going on rn. Ignas, Lydia, the Clocktower mages, nothing much happening with them rn.

Time

October 4, 2023 10:13:04  #768

Same. F/SR has been different for me, and I gotta say, there's something special about feeling the hype and seeing it manifest through the fandom rather than coming across a game like 5 years after its debut lol.
Oh yeah, I've been curious, are most of the games you play combat-oriented? Pardon me if I'm missing names that indicate otherwise, since I'm not very familiar with video games. But I was kinda wondering if you have a favorite genre. 

Okay, I see. Thanks for the response anyways. Sometimes they do be on hiatus lol.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 5, 2023 02:59:39  #769

Yeah, two different experiences entirely. I wouldn't really know how to pinpoint it. Maybe when finding old games it's much more.. quiet?

I play primarily strategy based games with a strong narrative. However, I've been trying to branch out into generally games with a strong sense of story. That can range from things like mainstream RPGs, to niche things like visual novels. Granted, I haven't bought any new games yet, but I'm trying to expand my library. The current exceptions in my library are a few popular shooters (for hanging out with friends), and Guilty Gear Strive (literally only one character I care about, wouldn't be there if she wasn't). Still with these exceptions. They pass in the fact they have a decent enough narrative or strong lore.

Yeah. They're on hiatus. Doesn't mean they're inactive to. I can pull them out if anyone (including you) requests so.

Time

October 5, 2023 10:15:20  #770

Yep, and more spoilery. xD Though I do wonder if a player is more biased if they're in the middle of the hype, or if they're after the hype? 'Cause there are more fanworks out there after the hype, obviously, but during the middle of all the hype you can find specific parts of the fandom that share your interests more easily, since the communities are developing and all that. 

Strategy, huh. I subscribe to the ingenious tactic of beating them up with consistent amounts of damage over a period of time while they can't do a thing about it. something that would never work in actual battles, wars of attrition aside. Do you have a playstyle or strategy...style, I guess, that you prefer? Or maybe multiple? Sorry if this sounds vague, again, I tend to only know specific strategies for specific games. So I probably sound like a noob. 
I love that "wouldn't be there if she wasn't" part. If she got killed off in-story would you ragequit? xD 

And thanks for the implicit offer. I'm still trying to figure out what I really wanna do in-roleplay, and anyways even as we're actively talking I'm too much of a coward to start spitting out ideas for threads. But as you probably know already, I find all of your characters (you in particular but also you guys in general) very interesting, and I like seeing how you go about using 'em. For Ignas I just like making fun of him. Gotta love his "relationship" (there barely is one) with Kiaane, it's so funny to me. :-P

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 6, 2023 00:13:35  #771

Hmm, I think I get what you mean, but I dunno. I never thought about that sorta stuff... I'd say that hype is stronger during the middle.

Depends, but lets say it what I have the most games of: CRPG/top-down where you control individual members of a small squad.

So, normally, most fights I can just bulldoze. But for the ones that I can't...

It's a combination of preparation, timing the right decisions at the right time, and sadly, save scumming (would like to get rid of this one). There have been a number of fights where I could cut down the instances of the mistakes that I made that made me lose the fight. Sometimes I would lose because I miskicked or used the wrong ability. There's also a small side of positioning that helps me out too.

As for her, yes. I would get up and leave she's already sorta died once. Though, I PRAY she's going to be a future MC. Guilty Gear has been going on for a while, and Stive wrapped up the story concerning the current MC and stuff like that. So they're gonna need a new generation to continue the series. I hope they select from the already present cast, and there seems to be a wide consensus she's likely to be one of the next MCs.

Fair, fair. And thank you for the kind words. That is quite the compliment. Ignas kinda just sits around waiting orders from the TMG lol. I bring it up because I do remember a possible interaction between Lydia and Mirai (that's how you spell it right?).

Time

October 6, 2023 10:22:35  #772

I need to stop bringing up stuff that others have never thought about before xD it's like the 7th time this week. Anyways, interesting take!

Do you use healing/revives if they're available? I was particularly curious about how you view the latter. Do you think it's cheating or just another viable resource? Also, do you tend to lean on the offensive or defensive for harder battles (like do you dodge and/or heal a ton or do you just try to get through it as quickly as possible)?

I'll go ahead and hope with you then lol, since my favorites keep dying (haha?). 

See see, even that's funny to me, since just reading that I can imagine Ignas being deadpan during break times and kinda just sitting there with a book or something while Kiaane scurries all over the place doing who-knows-what. They contrast each other in the most humorous ways I swear xD. 
And I'm honored you remembered her name as "future," but her name is Manai xD. Close enough though! How's Lydia doing? She vibing? :D?

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 7, 2023 21:51:20  #773

I do not think healing/revives are considered cheating. As long as it's something that the developers give you that you are using for it's intentional purposes, it's not cheating in my eyes. Even if it's outside of those boundaries, I'm still hesitant to say that it's cheating.

Strategy wise, it's usually always good to play the offensive. I don't think most of the AI I've played with have traps or baits at their disposal. In addition, characters have different strengths and weaknesses, so whether or not they are better for offensive or defensive play really depends, or maybe they can handle both.

Yeah. Thank you.

Also yes, that's something likely too. He's probably a reader or something like that. I never saw them as super contrasting, but I think in this context, it's very much clear.

Lydia is fine rn. Not much activity from her, like much of my other characters.

Time

October 8, 2023 13:51:27  #774

Okay, that's within my expectations. I think.
Yeah, I think I've noticed something of a trend where in most games stalling is generally riskier than nuking the enemy. But then again, I haven't seen many games lol.
What I was asking was, putting strategy aside as much as possible, do you prefer to play more offensively, or defensively?

Time wrote:

I never saw them as super contrasting,

Oh ho? So what did you see them as? (in case it is not abundantly clear, I really like thinking about their dynamic lol. Even though one doesn't exist most of the time.) 
I'm also kinda curious how you visualize them. For me Ignas is kinda more abstract because I pretty much don't know anything about him. I headcanon a bit for him and sometimes reread his form (very rarely), and obviously reading threads helps too, but I don't have much info on his backstory, what he acts like, and what he even looks like for sure. So I wonder if maybe I'm just not creative enough, or if you have a different lens that you use for comparing them or something.

Inactivity is good. It helps a character from getting angsted, maybe.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 9, 2023 16:49:15  #775

Yeah. Stalling is also usually more boring. I'd say for me though, I would fall between offense and defense, though I think planning defense is usually easier? Maybe?

As to Ignas and Kiaane, sure, they have some contrasts, but idk if I would see them as polar opposites. Ignas is kinda just a grumpy dude who gets annoyed at a lot of things. Oh, and he's good a following orders. That too.

Time

October 9, 2023 18:33:42  #776

Is it? Maybe I'm used to surprise mechanics where you get nuked if you fight for too long. xD 

Gonna crank down on asking for specification on Ignas and Kiaane, if you don't mind. (do tell me if you mind)
So would you say they have more similarities than differences? If so, in what ways?

-Galaxian- 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 14, 2023 18:00:52  #777

Feel free to not respond btw, I just wanted to skim through this thread and found that I keep bothering you for Ignas content for some reason xDDD and I apologize for that. It's probably super weird.
I also wanna let you know that I don't want you to feel obliged to respond in general to me, whether here or on any thread. Sometimes I'm a bit brattier than other times, but if a conversation can't keep going, I'm fine with letting it die. So yeah, don't force yourself to reply or do anything when you don't want to. 
I hope everything's going well with you and wish you the best as always!

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 15, 2023 02:14:02  #778

Stalling being more boring or defense being easier.

No, not similarities. That's for sure. They have wayyy more differences.

Time

October 16, 2023 16:33:39  #779

For some reason that reply gives sleep deprived vibes xD
But assuming I'm interpreting you correctly, I meant if I stall too long in F/GO's most major battles I usually get nuked. Same in CoC (that Marvel gacha game). I also do think it's easier to strategize how to nuke someone. It's kinda like in real life. It's easier to offend someone than to gain their trust. that analogy made no sense but leave it be ok Is it different for the games you play or something?

Like...like what xD

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

October 20, 2023 18:24:47  #780

Well, I haven't been getting a full 8 hours of sleep, but I wouldn't say I would be deprived of sleep.

As for being hit by big stuff, yea. Sure, I agree that planning damage phases can be easy. It's more or less an seeing opening and you just hit it. Usually big attacks like that though in my experience have at least a moment of warning, so you can just work to defend yourself for a turn and then return back to fighting (or you can try to do enough damage to defeat the attacker as well).

Oh, by the way more often than not, I don't mind chatting. It's just sometimes I forget or I get busy and stuff. So you can always send a notif or whatever.

Time

Board footera