HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 25, 2023 13:24:51  #1

[THE HIDDEN SAILS] - A "Forumfic" by Time - Signup

12/17/15 Update:
Thank you to all that submitted characters! I'll get working on the details of the project right away! I'll keep the submissions open for anyone who wants to submit anything, but the chances of me being able to write one's character in with noticable impact will decrease as time goes on and as I continue to plan/write the story. Once again extending gratitude to those who participated!

-----

Yo, so here’s the thing. I dropped my nanowrimo project because I was too busy for the month of November. But things will clear up for me in December. I have a story and everything already prepared, but I just had a cool idea.

Why don’t I just make a new story while harvesting some ideas from my internet friends?

Ok, so that’s a bit of an uncool perspective, but I was thinking of writing something similar to a forumfic. So, how about it?

[BRACKETS] mean placeholder names. This is a large wip.

Lore
Our story will take place in the largest city in this world. A megacomplex known as [THE VEIL]. This city is the heart of technological prowess. It is a bustling blur of figures where you could meet any type of person. Though, it’s more known to be a festering hive. Power hungry corporate suits squeezing anything out of those below with zero remorse. Lowlives of society, willing to gore and rip anyone and anything for a chance to climb above without a second thought. Violence is commonplace in the city, where security and peacekeeping are only done by private companies. The governance of [THE VEIL], known as [THE HOOD] are an anomaly, and rarely step in quelling common crime, as if they are above all things within the city.

Mind you, [THE HOOD] is not a weak entity, whenever it’s hand signals to send out its agents, it’s never a good sign. It’s why more often than not megacorps of [THE VEIL] decide to heed its rules, even the odd ones. It’s why corporations aren’t constantly warring between each other out in the open.

To be frank, by now, [THE VEIL] has grown beyond what is considered to be a city. It is far larger, has far more people, and contains far more factions than any city in our world. 

But let's focus on where your characters are going to be working, yes??

Our story will focus on one of these companies. [PANDORA TECHNOLOGIES INCORPORATED], [PANDORA TECH], or [P-TECH] for short. As the name suggests, this megacorporation specializes in development and manufacturing of technologies of all sorts to provide to [THE VEIL] and its contractors. It is one of the most influential companies of [THE VEIL], as its technologies are extremely advanced, versatile, and effective. Especially the weapons. 

We can go into that further, but for now, let’s avoid the tangent.

Your characters will be members of an elite team for [PANDORA TECH], as they will be tasked with something very special. However, they can be any variety of experience. A long time employee to someone scouted and newly highered for a specific job. They could come from a royal family, or just picked off the streets.

Form
Name:
Age range:
Appearance: 
Personality: 
*Theme Song(s):
Shippable/Relationship status?:
-If so, sexuality?:
Motivations: 
Origins:
Any references this character is making?:
Other:

Rules/Requests
1. I request that characters submitted are not exactly self inserts. I don’t want to be writing a character with your guys’ name slapped on it. It sorta feels weird to me to generate specific relationships (even if I ask beforehand). I’d rather have an interesting character that you guys find just as interesting to explore, you know?
2. A willingness to let go. When you submit these characters to me, it is with an understanding that they may live, they may die. They may stay small, or they may grow into something big. I’ll try and make them all as relevant as possible, but sometimes, the character doesn’t jive with the story being told. It;s also practically handing your character over to me, in a way.
3. Even if you allow the shippable status, don’t expect much out of it… I think?
4. Please do understand that likely a good amount of important characters will simply be of my own. Simply because this is just as much a story for me as it is as a “forumfic”. I don’t even know if that’s the correct term anymore for such a story.
5. You can contain any level of information on your character. If your character is super vague, I’ll take creative liberties. If your character is super detailed, I’ll probably also have to take creative liberties.
6. If you guys wish, you can put spoiler tags for your characters if you wish to make it a suprise!
7. One character per person please!
8. I enjoy morally dysfunctional adults over morally dysfunctional teens. 100%, 1000%. Seeing teens as MCs all the time is always weird for me now. How are you a doctor with a full PHD at 16 man??? They can be child prodigies or seasoned veterans and such.

Edit: added a new rule, removed it from recommendations

Form details:
Mostly everything should be explainable on their own, but to answer any preemptive questions:

Personality: Can be as simple as a few bullet points, to something more complex.
Appearance: Most detail should be in the bodily appearance. Outfits will usually be decided by me, but you can talk about their casual style or how they would wear, say, a uniform. (ex would they modify their outfit or keep it extra organized?)
Motivations: do you have an idea as to what drive’s this character to work forwards? If so, what is it? Could it be money, knowledge, the chance of being able to get their hands on powerful tech, maybe for someone? Can be as detailed or not. I’ll see what fits.
Origins: Backstory, really. Somewhat connects with motivations.
References: As of late, I’ve been interested in characters that have connected references, stories of old, mythology, history, and using this allusion of a character to represent them. So if you wish to follow me in this, go ahead. I find it’s a pretty good way to find suitable names for characters, at least.

Recommendations for characters:
Stuck? Any questions? Lemme try and direct them to fit the world.

I’m predicting that in this team, we’ll need a very wide range of skill sets. Operatives, scientists, engineers, historians, philosophers, medics, psychiatrists, you name it. If you want to take this in mind to direct things, you can. Or don’t and see where the character ends up fitting. That too.

I recommend your characters being motivated of some sort. They’ll be a part of an ambitious mission, but they can just be in it for the paycheck (it’s a lot).

This world is pretty grim, so for characters to be a bit detached, apathetic, and morally gray would be more normal. Also I loveeee trauma so if ya wanna add that it could be fun. Also, an optimistic selfless character is rare, and would stick out. It’s usually because they die quicker.

Clarification to rule 1: You guys can create some weird thing between a sona and something else, BUT you guys can def also create a whole original character. I'm cool with either.

Clarification to setting: I can't believe I didn't say this outright, but the world is sci-fi dystopia.

Edit: added a clarification to rule 1, and a explicit statement to the world's setting. I can't believe I didn't state the setting genre outright lol.

Story planning starts on the 17th of December!

Last edited by Time (December 17, 2023 18:28:41)

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

November 25, 2023 13:25:07  #2

Re: [THE HIDDEN SAILS] - A "Forumfic" by Time - Signup

AHhg it;s so long dude. My bad.

Time

November 26, 2023 15:01:42  #3

Well, I've edited some things on the main post for clarification. I'll probably keep on adding answers and edits as time goes on.

If anyone is also interested, asking questions is also def welcome lol

Time

November 26, 2023 15:44:31  #4

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'll bang out a form for this as soon as I can, this looks super cool

Call me Ishmael.
21 | Any Pronouns | wandering forest entity that occasionally visits your kitchen

"Is my body really part of the earth, and is the soul just a metaphor?"

Season's grievings to us, one and all!

November 26, 2023 20:17:54  #5

Just wanted to drop in and say I'm really looking forward to seeing all the forms and the writing! Good luck to everyone!!

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

November 27, 2023 13:38:37  #6

Heck yeah, thanks to the both of you! I'm really looking forwards to it as well.

Time

November 28, 2023 13:12:40  #7

Do you see what I'm doing?

Anyways, I think I'll close submission 1 week into December. Unless people want more time. I still need to outline you know!

Time

November 28, 2023 20:47:42  #8

Name: Cosima Dante (Dr. Dante)

Age range: 35-40 (I'm not too picky) 

Pronouns: She/Her

Appearance: She's around 5'11 with a strong body, leaning more towards a thick/muscular type body (but also not quite super buff lmao, I feel like she works out though). She has short hair that's black, and her eyes are a very dark green. Her hair has more of a straight texture to it. Her skin is an olive complexion leaning on the more pale side. I imagine she's masculine-looking/dresses very masculine. She likes to keep herself well-maintained and tidy, often wearing suits or other expensive clothes. She has age lines and a beauty mark under her left eye
I have this doodle but it's not very accurate because it's mostly just a concept sketch. Her hair would probably be shorter and less messy XD also her jawline would probably be a bit different (I'm having same face syndrome really badly XD)

I will probably make more concept doodles and post it either on my art thread or headcanon thread, as well as I will likely give a digital version for color

Personality: She is calm and collected type character. Agreeable and has a way with words as to keep any given situation calm. A voice of reason. Considerably a somewhat cheerful lady with a friendly demeanor. I would imagine she does some philanthropy, like donating to charities. She tends to like getting people to discuss philosophical questions, and doesn't mind chatting someone's ear off. Knowledgeable about medicine and the human body, as she is a doctor

However, this is just how she acts in the public eye. Underneath that exterior is someone who is very arrogant, calculating, and cold, willing to sacrifice others to get what she wants. Over the years she has become sadistic, violent, and self-justifying her own actions, telling herself that everything she does is for the greater good of others and that only she knows what is best. Constantly is having to reassure herself about how others view her, hyper aware of her public image. Has a constant anxiety to maintain a perfect public image. Guilt tends to eat away at her.

It's hard to noticably get under her skin, to the point that her "patience" can be a little unnerving. She's very good at keeping a straight face

*Theme Song(s): N/A atm

Shippable/Relationship status?: Shippable but...

she's not above manipulating her loved ones, and I can see her faking romance for malicious reasons

-If so, sexuality?: Pansexual 

Motivations: Science,

what she thinks is the "greater good", morbid curiosity, an unresolved grief and obsession over the circumstances her friend had died in

Origins: Comes from a wealthy family, growing up privileged. She gained a very well education. She became a wonderful doctor, specializing in medicine making, and became a philanthropist for good measure. Her family stressed the importance of prestige and keeping a good name for yourself

After witnessing her closest and childhood friend be trialed for murder and passing away in prison a few months later, she became obsessed with the concept of human nature. Believing the human nature is split into two sides, good and evil, she began to kidnap "test subjects" (often people off the streets that relied on her charity and volunteer work) and perform experiments on them. The goal is to separate the "evil" side of human nature from the "good", and then to kill the evil without harming the good, creating a "perfectly good" human. If successful, she believes, she could create medicine with that "additional effect" and "help" people become good. If everyone is good, there would never be crime again, right? And that would make the world better...
Slowly, this has led to her doing more than just that specific experiment, feeding a mix between morbid curiosity, a want to "help" people, and an undeniable and selfish desire to witness human agony. Who knows how many inhumane projects she has conducted, all in the name of science and the "future betterment of society"

I would imagine she also pays her way out of trouble, and isn't above hiring people to kill anyone she thinks has suspicions on her or anyone she thinks wants to ruin her reputation

Any references this character is making?:

HUGE inspiration of Henry Jekyll from "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mister Hyde", if you couldn't tell. In terms of her name name, it's a reference to Saints Cosmas and Damian, and "Dante's Inferno".
With the human experiments, I was inspired by Il Dottore from Genshin (also because I like Mad Doctor/Scientist characters).
I think it would be funny if she had her childhood friend's corpse and has been trying to reanimate it (with no luck, thank the gods) as a Frankenstein reference but also

Other: I hope this is okay TwT I wasn't sure what I wanted to do originally when making a character other than. A masculine looking lady XD

Echo
he/him xe/xem
Hektor's #1 Simp, Live Laugh Love Hektor
lil angst gumdrop
“If he be Mr. Hyde,” he had thought, “I shall be Mr. Seek.”

November 28, 2023 21:32:46  #9

I can't remember if I specified it or not but she's specializes in making, selling, and prescribing medicine

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

November 28, 2023 21:52:59  #10

Oooh I like it! A seasoned doctor with a pristine reputation! I think she will make a great addition, and will serve as an experienced mentor for younger members! I'll keep an eye out for any hints and things you may leave around!

I'm thinking of leaving daily tidbits of WIP lore here just for fun fact info and possibly little info bits for character creation if needed (totally not to also keep it in the active posts tab)

Oh, and I did spot the medicine part yes. Not exactly a surgeon, but something else... I like the different approach here actually. You're giving me a few good ideas.

Last edited by Time (November 28, 2023 21:56:12)

Time

November 28, 2023 22:24:41  #11

Yippee! I'm glad you like it! :D

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

November 29, 2023 00:16:07  #12

Feel free to update and whatnot, but I'm sure you already mention such things in the form 👍

Time

November 29, 2023 02:09:06  #13

Blanket statement of change whatever the hell you want, he's yours now. Do whatever you need to

Name: Caruse (pronounced kah-ROOS) and I don't know what to do for a last name that would fit this environment. I was thinking something aggressively normal 
Age range: 25-30
Pronouns: he/him
Appearance: Buff guy, enforcer/bouncer-type build. He has very short hair, but he's got a well-kept beard + mustache combo going that's dark but streaked with grey. He has dark brown eyes. He typically wears very simple, casual clothing-- think muscle tees and jeans with some beat-up boots (or whatever casual is for this setting, i dunno). He's really a comfort over fashion guy, but he cleans up nice if the situation calls for it. I'm realizing now I'm vaguely describing Andrew Tate in terms of figure and I hate it but I'm gonna have to commit to this bit. Basically he's a big, visually intimidating guy that does his best to disappear into the background via the clothing he wears.

Personality: Exceedingly chipper and happy, Everyone expects some really gruff, closed off person, but his overabundance of friendliness is more offputting to most people than if he actually lived up to expectations. Caruse is a great actor, and often finds himself tailoring his mannerisms and personality to better fit the atmosphere of those around him. As a result, he has many "faces" depending on who he is with, and the perception others have of him at first glance can be entirely different from how he actually is. This doesn't bother him and he has no worries about people thinking of him as fake or shallow-- his workaholic attitude means he has a hard time maintaining friendships, so most people don't get to know him deeply enough to actually figure him out. The people he spends the most time with are his coworkers, but he's not necessarily inclined to connect with them. All he wants to do is do his job and then go home.
The combination of his friendly attitude alongside his refusal to connect and be vulnerable can throw some people for a loop. It's a common situation where he knows quite a bit about someone, but they only realize much later that they know next to nothing about him.
Theme Songs: Middle Ground - The Dear Hunter
Shippable/Relationship status?: Go for it, he'd be a difficult catch though
-If so, sexuality?: Yep (bi)
Motivations: Breadwinner of his family. Lots of younger siblings that need to be put through school and such, so he'll grab whatever jobs he can get as long as it pays well.
Origins: Forever a big brother, Caruse has always been the de facto head of his family while his father was away working. That goal-oriented, provider mentality was passed to him, so he scrapes together what he can to make sure everyone is cared for. These days, it's getting harder to find steady work, so when he was approached for some job at p-tech, he leaped at the opportunity.
Any references this character is making?: "Caruse" is a bastardized pronunciation of "Icarus". Do with that what you will!
Other: I see him as reconnaissance/muscle but he could do some other stuff of course. Probably has a bunch of connections (shady and otherwise) from working odd jobs over the years

Call me Ishmael.
21 | Any Pronouns | wandering forest entity that occasionally visits your kitchen

"Is my body really part of the earth, and is the soul just a metaphor?"

Season's grievings to us, one and all!

November 29, 2023 11:51:17  #14

I think the dynamic of this character is interesting. Kind, but don't get too close. I think that dichotomy is going to be fun (and difficult) to play with.

Oh, and always working to get your siblings through school for a better chance is always a noble thing, so I think it's a good motivation!

Last edited by Time (November 29, 2023 11:52:07)

Time

November 29, 2023 12:10:09  #15

How picky is Pandora about who it hires? Would they hire someone who likes it when things catch fire or explode to develop weapons?

Axel
"Martial arts is... a way to move all cool like?"
Live like nobody's watching
I aten't dead
If i was rich, I'd fill up a room with buttons, and then when you pressed them they'd make satisfying sounds

November 29, 2023 13:05:39  #16

Normally getting into a megacorp is pretty tough. Usually even low ranking members get a pretty good amount of benefits and safety from the chaos of the city, so they always get lots of applications.

However, the team in concern will be hand picked for a specific task. The characters aren't reaching out to Pandora, Pandora is reaching out to them

The process of selection isn't based off of the normal things such as "compatability", "complacency" and "mental stability", not like the last one is a rarity lol. Instead, it's due to requirements you don't need to worry about.

I'd love a pyromaniac, if that's what you're implying.

Last edited by Time (November 30, 2023 17:11:19)

Time

November 29, 2023 13:16:36  #17

Huh, look at that, that was suffice to be a daily tidbit of lore! Two birds with one stone.

Time

November 30, 2023 13:40:09  #18

Tidbit of lore #2: (I had a thought of these feeling like loading screens for a game)

Firearms are rare in this city. This is because The Hood has established a heavy regulations on firearm usage and distribution. There are very few gunsmiths in the veil, and even fewer that have the licenses to produce firearms and ammunition. The cost is sky high on both the weapon and rounds, both due to rarity and taxes that The Hood puts on them. So pricey that even wealthy mercenary bands and megacorps think twice before investing. Most opt for other weapons of choice as it's simply more cost effective.

Though there are advantages for investing in a firearm if one's work requires it for work. If I recall correctly, most people can't react to and dodge bullets.

There is speculation as to why The Hood has this rule, but there isn't anything confirmed.

This is totally not just a reason why I can explain why people use weapons other than guns in a sci fi world.

Last edited by Time (November 30, 2023 17:09:18)

Time

November 30, 2023 20:14:22  #19

I would die for Caruse

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

November 30, 2023 20:21:40  #20

That said, here is my form!

Name: Sterlyn Kessler
Age range: 20-25
Pronouns: He/him
Appearance: A feminine, honey-eyed young man, short and slender with a height of 5’2’’. There’s nothing special about him at first glance, but with a closer look one would be able to see an intense stare in his eyes, as if looking around for the smallest details in his surroundings. This might be masked by the many and often exaggerated facial expressions he tends to make around people. A sulky pout, a forced grin, or his tongue sticking out in disgust are just a few of the faces he shows to make sure his thoughts and feelings are noticed by others, and yet when he’s by himself he keeps a poker face all the time. The more observant people might notice a few freckles on Sterlyn’s otherwise delicate face, and he himself has yet to notice that these marks would become very prominent if he went out in natural light more. In general, his defining feature is probably his long hair, a reddish-orange mess almost always found hastily tied back in some sort of high ponytail to keep it from interfering with whatever he’s working on. Alternate styles include braids and a bun. Most of the time Sterlyn doesn’t pay a lot of attention to his image, but if he ever took care to brush his hair properly it would reveal its true silky nature. He’s been confused for a girl before.
Usually not a stickler about clothing—he’ll wear whatever is given to him. However, he WILL complain if he feels something is low-quality. Color-wise Sterlyn prefers black and dark green combinations, and surprisingly, white and pale yellow too. He can be found wearing gloves (full or fingerless, depending on his activity) nearly all the time since he’s previously had a lil accident that show as healed nicks and scratches on his otherwise soft hands, and he’s not going to risk that again.
He made an accessory that can work as a one-eyed magnifying lens for when he’s working on something delicate. It works by changing the lens(es) in the metallic structure and can reach precise levels of amplification without losing quality.

Personality: Although amiable and moderately sociable, Sterlyn is probably not the kind of person one would like to hang out with most of the time. He knows etiquette but does not show it unless he wants to. And, really, that’s the best way to describe his character: “whenever he wants to”. Bratty, egotistic, blunt—those are the words he’s usually described with. He doesn’t mind much, since most of the time people have zero interest in what he likes, and he would very much rather be by himself creating stuff than spend time with people who can’t recognize his true talent. In his mind, he’s an unparalleled genius, a prodigy who deserves attention before others and whose opinion must be taken very seriously because how could he ever be wrong or bad at something? He does not care for impressing others—his skill already IS impressive by itself, he believes—but rather to obtain the attention he feels he rightfully deserves. And if not, well, he won’t really throw a tantrum since he’s already a young man, but maybe by seeing him sulk the other people might reconsider their opinions. He does not do well when things don’t go the way he wants them to or when he feels “smothered” by orders he does not like.
Still, he’s not all bad, and despite his attitude problems he really does have the skills necessary to (partially) back up his opinions of himself. He has an amazing memory and a strong attention span (unless he doesn’t care about the subject), more so when he’s focusing on something he likes, such as his works. His thinking skills are quick even if not always accurate, and he will always voice out his thoughts on whatever matter is at hand. With people who are kinder to him, Sterlyn acts more sweetly, being excited to share his thoughts and ideas with someone who truly “gets him”. May reciprocate by not thinking so much about himself for once (wanting to learn more about the other). Unfortunately, he’s never really had someone to call a friend, and it’s painfully obvious he just doesn’t know how to act around people in general.
Theme Song(s): Idk man if I find something I’ll let you know.
Shippable/Relationship status?: Too self-centered to think of romance (but feel free to do something if you think it fits?)
- If so, sexuality?: Unknown (Straight)
Motivations: To get the attention he deserves for his abilities and have more opportunities to mess around with mechanical weapons and objects. The latter motivation is extremely strong, as he is more interested in mechanics and inventions than in anything else. Money is just a means to get the materials he needs, and since his family has a lot of money, he does not care about its value.
Origins: Sterlyn is the only child of a well-off corporate family. Since childhood, he has never wanted for anything, since his every desire was fulfilled by his parents as soon as he expressed it even if they weren’t directly there. He was a bored and lonely child, uninterested in anything, his grades in his learning being average…yet for some reason his parents always praised him for his efforts, so much that Sterlyn’s self-image was very high even while young. Nothing stood out for him in life—since he always had whatever he wanted, what point was there in trying new things or chasing dreams? That is, until he accidentally disassembled an appliance, and became fascinated with the way things work from the inside. Soon enough, he was taking things apart and putting them back together with near-perfect accuracy, and he discovered he had too many ideas for how to make new things from the parts he played with. His imagination sparked for the first time at the concept which quickly turned into an obsession. Nothing else mattered anymore and as he grew so grew his desire to create and with it grew his natural skill at creation. Of course, he got even more praise from his parents, and he now believed himself to be the most intelligent kid in The Veil.
By the time he entered teenagerhood, Sterlyn had moved on to creating functional machines just for the fun of it and was interested in the more serious study of mechanics, so he hired a well-known engineer to work as his mentor in the area. He learned very quickly, being naturally talented in this specific field of course, and during that time he came to admire the inner workings of weapons. His designs took a course towards crafting firearms with a passion simply because he found them very interesting. At this point too he took up shooting lessons in order to be able to test his weapons, and even though he was pretty bad at it, he refused to accept the fact and kept it as a side hobby of sorts.
Sterlyn eventually created three firearm blueprints, his magnum opus, the best of all the wonderful things he had ever created (but all of them were close to being the best in his opinion). His mentor glorified his skill and at this point Sterlyn firmly believed he was The Best in the whole world, with only a matter of time before his works were officially recognized by other companies and that he would be lauded as a genius young inventor. However, his mentor told his parents about the blueprints, and they appropriated them under the family company’s name to sell as originals and make a fortune (they did). Sterlyn threw a tantrum at this, but no matter how hard he cried or screamed to get the ownership of his ideas back, it was the one time he didn’t get his way with things, and without connections or a means to showcase his skill he was doomed to remain unknown for the rest of his life, as his parents would take anything new he created from that point on.
The job offer from P-TECH is an absolute win because not only is he relieved someone recognizes his abilities, he is also eager to get a chance to see more mechanical builds in action.
Any references this character is making?: None.
Other: Dislikes being called short or being compared to others. Also, he thinks of people who don’t care about his interests as unintelligent. I think he has pretty eyelashes.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

November 30, 2023 20:23:34  #21

So I tried sending in the thing twice but I feel the lower part of the text is squished together? Just me? It bothers me a bit, but well the info is there, so yeah.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

December 1, 2023 03:23:26  #22

SpecterTheGreat wrote:

I would die for Caruse

In my interpetation, I don't think he would want you to do that. That sorta stuff isn't worth it. You have things to live for too you know?

But anyways....

I totally get you, trying to reformat forms is such a pain. Looking at Sterlyn now...

What a pretty looking man! And I mean pretty~

I love this direction that you have chosen to go with this character. Every group of dysfunctional humans always needs their snobbish character! Love the combination of not just arrogant, but actually competent (in his field) and obsessive! 

I also like that the you imply if he was younger he'd be throwing tantrums lol

Last edited by Time (December 1, 2023 12:12:21)

Time

December 1, 2023 13:26:57  #23

*neco arc voice* pretty boy~

There we go that was what I was trying to go for.

Tidbit of lore #3:

The Veil is oddly set up compared to your normal city. Megacorps have nearly defined territories of where their presence is most powerful. They usually do have stations set in other corporation's territories that they are neutral or friendly with, though.

Any area that isn't claimed by a megacorp is known as The Gutters. The lack of a corp's presence results in higher crime rate. Imagine while Corp territories may look like a colorful sci fi city, The Gutters often look more dull. However, don't think of the place as fully poverty stricken. It's just any area that isn't claimed by the megacorps.  Syndicates are a common power holder in these areas.

Time

December 2, 2023 14:00:09  #24

There's lore I just can't talk about 😭

Tidbit of lore #4:

What's outside of The Veil? Well, people don't like to go out there. It's wasteland and wilderness. Primed with all sorts of unknowing things. It's called many things, as there is no official name to it... The Stretch, The Vast, The Outer Lands... but for now lets call it [The Reach].

Time

December 3, 2023 14:05:10  #25

Tidbit of lore #5:

There is about 30 or so megacorps in The Veil. There's only so much territory that the place can fit.

Pandora Tech's territory is somewhat midsized/on the smaller side. It is landlocked, but still on the outer rings of the city. If you look at territories, they are adjacent to some territories that boarder the sea. If that makes sense.

Last edited by Time (December 3, 2023 14:05:23)

Time

December 4, 2023 13:33:31  #26

I be clogging this place with lore but idc bruh 💀

Lore tidbit #6:

Mercenaries make this city go round. However, mercenary doesn't just describe a hired gun or blade, rather, they describe nearly any type of freelancer. Anyone that isn't tied to a company. While most of them have combat experience and training, most also specialize in a few other fields, such as engineering or advising. Though there are mercenaries that are strictly specialized for combat. Even then, some may be specalied for different types of combat (large scale conflict, duels, protection, assassination, etc.)

Usually these freelancers still group themselves together and sell their services as an overall group rather than an individual.

These are a countless number of mercenary groups in The Veil, but few have strong reputations.

There is also the fact of the matter of the handful of mercenaries that are a cut above the rest...

Time

December 5, 2023 13:49:04  #27

Tidbit of lore #7:

...And to do this, to separate the riff raff, the competent, and the living legends, mercenaries and companies follow a grading system in typical action shounen fashion or whatever, even though it ain’t a shonen. (There’s a chance I scrap this lol).

I'm pretty sure this topic will not have to come into play for The Hidden Sails tho.

Also mercenary is a temporary placeholder name. Too many syllables.

Time

December 5, 2023 15:28:08  #28

I know I kinda badly timed it with it being in finals season and all 💀

So I think I'll move the time where I close the sign up to later maybe. Ive been thinking this thing is going to go past December anyways.

Time

December 6, 2023 13:25:32  #29

Lore tidbit #8:

If I keep on going with bits of lore daily, we're going to get into stuff I can't talk about soon. Maybe I'll switch it to every other day. These are just lightly veiled attempt at keeping the thread in the active post tab anyways 💀.

---

Also, I'll probably move the opening of this sign up thread to like... the 17th of December. I know long time, right?

Its because not only ofc I want more characters, I can't even really work on the project when the current closing date passes due to finals. So I will use the extra time to detail plans more, review resources, and see how I can improve things.

Time

December 8, 2023 14:29:06  #30

Lore tidbit #9:

Oh, there's a few other places in The Veil that I can talk about.

The Underbelly. THIS is the place you don't wanna go. This is organized crime syndicate territory. They are a subsection of The Gutters.

I don't know if I did or did not mention this, but the strongest of the syndicates are not to be messed with. The strongest of them are influential enough that megacorps heistate to engage.

Time

Board footera