HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 14, 2023 01:30:56  #31

Re: [F/DA] The coming of the first morn

"That's true."
In all truth, Sunny had never thought about the subject like that before. Or at all, really--if he had used the time to think about it, then he only arrived at the answer, brief as it was. But he sounds nonchalant about it.
"And I do," he continues. Realizing that he can't just leave it at that--Caster was gracious enough to continue unprompted earlier, after all--he too adds a bit of supplement. "I suppose it would almost feel wrong if I didn't, considering my name."
Funnily enough, today seems to be gearing up to be a sunny day. It's only getting brighter and brighter by the moment. If either Master or Servant were to look around the panorama of the sky surrounding them, they would notice that there isn't a speck of cloud to be seen, at least for the moment.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

April 14, 2023 17:15:46  #32

"Hmm, 'Sunshine doesn't like sunny days'..." Caster tested the phrase on his lips before shaking his head, amused. "I agree. It does sound very wrong."

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 14, 2023 21:22:42  #33

"Perhaps I could use it for one of those truth-or-lie games, then." He glances towards Caster. "Though I suppose I wouldn't be able to use it for you. Or is it too obvious to begin with?"

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

April 17, 2023 04:57:52  #34

"That it doesn't sound good doesn't mean it can't sound like enough of a paradox to make someone doubt it, I guess," he replied, not disinterested in the topic but more focused on the path, it appears.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 18, 2023 00:42:34  #35

Sunny has to pause for a moment to register what the other just said. "I suppose so as well," he finally manages to say, though he's probably unsure in actuality.
It seems their fast pace lends to their intent to arrive at their destination, since they're already all the way down the hill and a little more. Sunny doesn't say anything this time, though maybe he's using the silence to try to think of--or remember--what he wants to say. It's hard to tell with him, to be honest.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

May 2, 2023 22:17:33  #36

Just go one step after the other and you'll reach your destination eventually. But doesn't a span of a few seconds seem like an eternity when you really want something? Add the approximate times in your mind, and suddenly the wait feels unbearable.
The only way to escape that sensation is to divert the focus to somewhere else, which is exactly what Caster was doing at the moment by thinking about truths and lies. He was sure he'd seen or at least heard of human children playing something similar to what Sunny had mentioned. Lying for fun, and throwing around the weirdest of facts (reality can truly be stranger than fiction sometimes) in a way they seemed like lies too. What was the point of such a game? Having never played anything like that himself, Caster could only wonder why anyone would find it fun. Was the fun supposed to be in sharing the most ludicrous truths, or perhaps in laughing at friends when they realized they don't know you as well? He could very well win something like that with just a blink or two. There was no fun in that.
He pursed his lips like a duck and glanced at a stray clover that grew between two pebbles at the side of the road.
"Do you like truth-or-lie games, Sunny?"

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

May 9, 2023 02:36:34  #37

"I can't say I do." The answer is immediate. "I am not the biggest fan of divulging secrets. And I always lose when I play it."
Well, that's the cost of giving a quick answer while thinking about something else, at least when it comes to him. Sunny's face is starting to burn. He pretends not to notice it.
Wonder if Caster took him for the competitive type?

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

May 11, 2023 22:16:55  #38

"Huh. I thought you were already making a strategy for a future game of that."
I'd probably win if I played it, he thought confidently. But he could relate to the other thing his Master had said. Other than that comment, Caster didn't have anything else to say on the topic. Unless a reply prompted him to say something more.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

May 11, 2023 23:11:40  #39

"I was. I mean, I am," Sunny says. "But hypotheticals don't seem to function as well when it comes to strategy. At least it is so in my own experience. Perhaps as a result of my own lack of skill."
As if on cue, he staggers over a well-placed rock, catching himself with a quick jolt. Impressively, however, he continues talking. "Do you have any thoughts in particular related to strategizing in general, Caster?"

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

May 12, 2023 16:58:45  #40

Caster's sight and attention flicked over to Sunny immediately after the light stumble. Thankfully, he didn't comment on it, instead choosing to focus on the question. One of his hands rested lightly on his lips in a thinking gesture.
"I think it can only be done after observing something or someone for a long time. Long enough to be able to predict what may happen. Rushing into action quickly never brings anything good."

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

May 12, 2023 21:12:48  #41

"Then what is the practical course of action when action spontaneity is required by the situation?"
Hopefully it isn't too annoying to Caster that Sunny is slowing down, perhaps an indication of genuine interest on his behalf. If it is, well, then please forgive him in that case.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

May 12, 2023 21:43:17  #42

"Probably figure out why you're in that situation in the first place," he said without hesitation. "And then, try to get a moment to figure out what you should do next? It's hard to say with a vague description."
The boy turned slightly, slowing down as well out of consideration for his Master, but none too happy about the fact.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

May 12, 2023 22:59:13  #43

"I speak of the Grail War, of course. Though only in hypotheticals." He takes what can only be described as a large step, half to the side and half forwards, similar to a pendulum when it is tilted awry. 
"Do you work well with spontaneity?"

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

May 12, 2023 23:55:54  #44

"Oh," he replied, muttering the missing 'I see' for himself. "If I have to make it work, I'll find a way. But I'd try my best to be ready before a situation like that. I don't think I'm all that good with it."
That was a good answer, right? Not a yes or no thing, but still truthful at the end. Caster stole a glance at Sunny's face right after speaking.

Does he think less of me for my answer?

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

May 13, 2023 00:07:34  #45

"That makes sense," responds the other. "To clarify--there existed no standards or expectations on that front on my end." He fidgets a bit with his hands, though he seems to be doing all he can to minimize the action by maintaining his gait. "As you can infer, I also do not work very well with spontaneity, likely to an even lesser extent compared to you. Therefore...please do not concern yourself in this regard. I will try my best to account for the hypotheticals."
It would indeed be strange for someone to summon a Caster expecting the opposite, no? Thus, what Sunny is saying matches up with his true thoughts. As opposed to thinking any differently regarding his companion, it would be more rational to assume that the mage is unconfident in his own ability to strategize. 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

May 13, 2023 22:59:56  #46

Good. The answer matched up with what Sunny said. So far the conversation proved that the first trait Caster had hoped to find (honesty) was indeed present in his Master. 
Of course the answers to his silent questions could not be wrong, but still there was a possibility that... they were called "white lies", no? A way of bending the truth to make things appear better than they were. He was thankful his Master hadn't done that.
"Okay." Caster nodded after the reply. "I really hope things don't come to that, though."

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

May 13, 2023 23:56:35  #47

He agrees, "It would be nice if everything went exactly to plan."
He doesn't sound sarcastic, but that sure does seem sarcastic in itself, if that makes sense.
The young man pauses for a moment to peer at a fork in the road before taking a slight right turn--which was honestly to be expected, since the left clearly would lead them to veer outside of the boundary of the forest. So it seems they're going in now.
"I believe that we just have some more distance to walk," he specifies, resuming his pace from before while slightly inclining his face towards the other's direction. "I hope that it isn't uncomfortable for you or anything of the sort. Please let me know if you'd like to pause for any reason." While speaking, he tilts his shoulders back, as if to adjust the straps of his backpack. 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

May 15, 2023 00:54:47  #48

It sure would.
Unfortunately, Caster was aware that life had a thing for throwing unexpected happenings your way just when you think all is going smoothly. And in this case... well, his Master had admitted to not being very good in that area either, so that left a weak spot that neither of them could easily cover. That just meant he'd have to try extra hard to avoid accidents. Maybe even a bit more if Sunny proved to not be able to handle the matter at all, but it was too early to tell if that was really the case.
Oh well. Right now, as they neared the forest, Caster was subconsciously starting to edge towards the greenery. Only after Sunny looked back at him did he return to his previous position closer to him.
"I don't mind walking. I like it, and this area too."

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

May 15, 2023 01:44:25  #49

"You seem more at ease here than before, when we were on the mountain," he notes lightly. 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

May 15, 2023 17:41:49  #50

"Yeah," he answered. "I think I am, too."
They were so close to the destination now. Caster truly did an impressive job of holding in his excitement until then, with only his focused expression and a sparkle in his eyes showing what he truly wanted at the moment.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

May 15, 2023 22:27:44  #51

Sunny leaves the conversation at that for now.
It really doesn't take too long to arrive at a small partial clearing. Sunny veers off slightly to the side to follow the path of a modestly-sized stream nearby. He also seems to be looking for any animal tracks that may be present in the surroundings, though so far he doesn't seem to have come across much.
The silent agreement that he seems to be aiming for is that their current objective is to look for a place to set up camp. Maybe he should have said something, but hopefully his actions make his thoughts clear enough. In any case, he doesn't mind venturing further and looking for more places before settling down. The morning is long (and rather bright), after all.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

May 18, 2023 22:22:20  #52

True to what he had said earlier, Caster's eyes were drawn towards the stream's water. Or rather, the bits where the flow was slower and allowed the sunlight to reflect and sparkle. Beautiful. 
He didn't slow down his pace, still keeping up. Even though his sight was fixed on the stream Caster still appeared to be aware of everything around him. He extended a hand as if to touch a sunbeam.
What a beautiful area. Finally, he felt more at home, more relaxed than earlier. Something about the nature around just put his mind at ease. Briefly, he redirected his sight to Sunny, wanting to see what was the other's reaction to the place.
Are any birds singing in the area?

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

May 19, 2023 17:13:07  #53

The mage is pacing carefully along the terrain, keeping his eyes on the ground as if careful not to step on an ant mound or scurrying insect. Occasionally he stops in place directing his gaze to different directions, perhaps to measure the dimensions of an empty swath of soil or the distance of a location from the water. 
He seems more natural when he is among the world rather than speaking or interacting with others like himself. The sunlight filtered through to the two of them glints off a hairclip tucked under his hair that would not have been visible otherwise. The sound of birdsong is a distance away, with two bright-sounded caws resounding from one end to another, their mutual message unbroken by the gap between them.
Sunny makes his way back towards his Servant's direction, still stepping carefully out of whatever considerations he possesses. He doesn't ask for the other's opinion, though, preferring to gauge the other's reaction instead. Regardless, he personally is open to speaking if the other wishes to do so. 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

May 19, 2023 23:57:00  #54

As Sunny returned, Caster met his eyes for a few seconds before deliberate looking away. The flow of water mesmerized him. It meant life. 
He really cares about this, doesn't he?
The boy's heart grew lighter at the thought. Seeing his Master like that, it was almost as if he too belonged to the place for a moment--but of course it had been just a thought, a brief impression, for as much as anyone could act in tune with nature, they could never even hope to share the bond Caster had to the greenery around. 
Despite that belief, a quiet smile spread on his lips. He wasn't sure he wanted to turn back to Sunny just yet. He'd wait to be called or addressed, or just a few moments longer. Looking back could mean the end of that moment of peace so they could move on to other matters. Surely it wouldn't matter if he delayed that for a couple seconds more.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

May 21, 2023 04:03:12  #55

The mage doesn't speak yet. Like a child who suspects he was just caught cheating on a test (but hopes with all his heart that he is mistaken), he diverts his gaze once more and veers off to the side again on his path to Caster, the actions too convenient to have been genuine.
The bird calls cease momentarily, replaced by a gentle breeze that blows through the sprouting leaves and deciduous foliage as well as a gentle echo that spreads back towards the mountains. 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

May 24, 2023 23:59:27  #56

That much he could tell from the action he saw from the edge of his eyes. Thankful Sunny caught the cue, he let his alertness fall for a moment. Even then he was aware of his surroundings. 
The boy started to push his cloak behind his shoulders, leaving it fastened but now revealing the rest of his clothing. He was completely covered, his outfit seeming like it would be more suited to colder weather than the present mild one. Except his arms. They would've been bare, but the bandages on his hands wrapped all the way to his upper arm. That must have been something ordinary for him, as he didn't say anything or even flinch while adjusting the border of the bandage near his hand. Then he lifted it to tuck back a strand of his hair that had moved in the breeze that brought the rustle of leaves and a flutter of feathers and-
Caster froze in his spot. His sight flicked to his hand, feeling the tiny weight of a bird now perched on his finger. He extended it slowly, blinking back at the little bird that cocked its head curiously at the Servant.
"Sunny," he called out in a quiet tone, yet still easily audible. "Sunny, look."

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

May 28, 2023 00:20:04  #57

(Love how I'm already emotionally attached to the bird)

A faint click sounds somewhere as Sunny turns himself around fully. The furrow of his brow loosens once he registers what he's actually looking at.
"A bird," he observes, quietly and ever so insightfully, turning himself further so that an overcast shadow falls away from his face. Without moving further, he peers at the bird with careful eyes. It's a tiny thing, isn't it? But it's also very cute, and this scene, between its presence and Caster's figure, is so intuitively fitting to him. Ah, if Sollux had been the one here, she would no doubt have a camera in hand already. But since it's him, a mental image--or sketch perhaps--will have to suffice.
The corners of his mouth rise slightly despite himself, perhaps themselves vying to approach and get a better look at the scene in spite of better judgments.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

May 29, 2023 22:45:16  #58

"Yeah," goes the reply.
It appears that Caster was expecting Sunny to come closer and check out the bird, as he held out his hand towards him. When he didn't go, the boy instead chose to approach with slow yet fluid movements. He wasn't even worried about jostling the small bird. His steps aligned perfectly with the sticks and pebbles on the ground, allowing his companion a comfortable ride on his hand.
"He's a sparrow," he said, lifting his arm a little so Sunny could see it better. "A little one."
The sparrow hopped off Caster's hand and onto his head. He almost giggled. 

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

May 29, 2023 22:59:12  #59

The careful ride that Caster gave the tiny bird was practically for naught, but now Sunny's able to see the bird even better, since it's now situated at a high vantage point. And there's no denying that he's definitely smiling now, even if it's faint and ever so transient. 
Another "he's very cute" would be very redundant, so what is he to say now? Never mind how he never actually verbalized his thought. "He appears to be of a native species" with a subtle question mark at the end ends up being what pops out. Of course it'd end up being a nerdy biology-related fact; what else? 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

May 31, 2023 23:59:35  #60

"I wanted you to hold him too, but that's not what he wants."
Caster looked up at his own head, going somewhat cross-eyed in an effort to see the bird. 
"He's just resting. Because he's native to the area, we might see him again after he flies away."
That was a little attempt at subtly trying to say that they should return to the place in the future. Or perhaps, something else related to that?

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

Board footera