HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 16, 2023 14:38:46  #1

(Intro) The Mysterious Case of the Materializing Mansion

Word spreads like wildfire in Modern Sect, and it's been not even a week since everybody with internet access, or knows someone with internet access, has heard of the peculiar little building that seemingly materialized out of nowhere. Just south of the big cities, somewhere in the more rural part of Modern Sect, an old Victorian mansion sits quietly on a mountaintop. The locals swear the mountain was completely empty, not even a telephone pole or a water tower or anything. What's weirder is that there had been no signs of construction at all, the building seemingly appeared overnight. Perhaps it was curiosity that brought you here, or maybe a sense of duty to make sure this odd apparition did not bring any harm to innocent civilians. Whatever the case may be, you find yourself standing before the wrought iron bars that surrounded the premise. It's a little cold, a little damp, barely able to make out the outline of the house through the thick fog. Sunrise peaks through the tree line, casting a golden misty glow over everything.

The gate stands wide open, do you walk in?

Marsh
Pronouns? Surprise me
----------------------------------------
Mariah Carey DNI

18 || Braincells? No

March 16, 2023 17:30:06  #2

Re: (Intro) The Mysterious Case of the Materializing Mansion

Silence was licking the iron gate, tasting it for reasons the gods only know. Francis, on the other hand, only took a few steps in, studying the area around them. He thinks aloud, "Oh! This would make a good painting! What do you think?"

Silence is too busy licking the gate to give a proper answer. They seem to try to see if the acid in their spit will melt it enough to consume it.

Seis was holding a random ladybug she found, leaning on the gate.

Not a single braincell between these three.

Echo
he/him xe/xem
Hektor's #1 Simp, Live Laugh Love Hektor
lil angst gumdrop
“If he be Mr. Hyde,” he had thought, “I shall be Mr. Seek.”

March 16, 2023 19:26:28  #3

(real quick because I did not think someone was gonna start trying to touch stuff this early)

As Silence goes to lick the gate, they taste nothing. In fact they don't even feel anything, their tongue passes straight through the pole like it's air. Seis, who is attempting to lean on this nonexistent gate, likely falls straight through or at least loses their balance a little depending on how much they're committing to the lean.

Marsh
Pronouns? Surprise me
Mariah Carey DNI

18 || Braincells? No

March 16, 2023 20:22:46  #4

Seis straight up topples over like a wooden board, not making a sound except for the impact of their body on the ground. Seis looks very confused. The lady bug they had found had flown away while they were falling.

Silence starts biting at the nonexistent gate similarly to how a dog bites at hose water, also confused. RIP, no metal for them. Silence looks sad now.

Francis is walking further along, muttering about what colors he would need to mix together to get the perfect painting of the scenery. He doesn't notice his friend's confusion, and he's studying the outline of the house through the fog.

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

March 17, 2023 20:06:34  #5

A certain person happened to wander through the area around the time the true rumor of the mysterious mansion was in full swing. Overhearing the conversations from the locals was enough for Kewl to set on their way to see what was really going on with this mansion place.
They walked up to the gates with curious confidence, stopping to gaze at the building's outline with an :0 expression on their face. After blinking away the initial questions, they noticed Silence and their interaction with the gate. Kewl glanced back at the main outline before jogging over to Silence.
"Heya, does that metal taste good?"

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 17, 2023 21:34:31  #6

"Bro, it ain't even tastin'!" Silence replied after stopping their biting at the gate. "It's like some kinda weird ghost or illusion or something! I can't get even a nibble off of it."

Seis, suddenly standing beside the two (how did she get there?!) stated, "... I c-can't... even, uhm, even lean on it!" Seis has fresh dirt covering their body. He's holding some wiggling worms.

Francis paused to wait for his friends, listening to the conversation while staring around.

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

March 18, 2023 05:04:07  #7

((@Marsh I'm sorry they got distracted with the gate lol I hope this doesn't sidetrack the narration too much))

"Oooh, a ghost thingy?"
Kewl repeatedly waved one of their arms through the neartest part of the gate. Seeing that it was not solid, they thought it would be a good idea to do like Silence and stuck out their tongue to try tasting the gate.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 18, 2023 20:38:30  #8

((dw, we all good))

Suddenly, as if someone flipped a switch, the sunset, the fog, and the ground underneath your feet change. The sun now blazes directly above, the ground turns into a little brick road that leads all the way to the mansion, and the fog that's now gone reveals a simple but elegant Victorian style building as well as a quaint little front garden. A loud high pitched ringing disrupts the scene. The unmistakable sound of microphone feedback. Then, a voice.

Shoot where is it.... *rustle* that's not- aha! Ahem.
You make your way down the path. A quick glance at your watch tells you the time, noon exactly. You hope this job is quick and easy, afterall, no one likes missing their lunch break.

What's weird however, is that nothing feels different. The air is still a little damp, a little cold. The ground beneath you is still grassy and soft. The warmth that normally accompanied direct blaring sunlight simply does not exist. Something is fishy.

Marsh
Pronouns? Surprise me
Mariah Carey DNI

18 || Braincells? No

March 19, 2023 20:01:11  #9

Crimson had his coat tied around his waist, he was eating some sort of kebab from the Gods knows where.  As he shoved the meat kebab in his mouth he looked around at the sect.  "Modern tech is good to have here...too bad Aster isn't here, he could modify my phone for this place or even my Limiter.  Or best yet, put a tracker on Fang and Flare!" Crimson stopped and thought for a moment before frowning.  "Yeah, let's NOT do that...maybe just get them a phone for themselves...".  As Crimson walked past the building and seeing a few faces he knows he almost jumped out of excitement.  "Silence!  Seis!" He called and made a mad dash over to the gate and ran right through it and tripped onto the ground.  Ouch, this guy is an idiot.  As Crimson pondered his existence and laid on the ground cursing he wonders if anyone saw him....

Yeah, I'm active here like every day, no I don't have a life outside video games, GGaD or college.  And yes, I do love this place in case it's not clear.  

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I do change this siggy often too. 

March 20, 2023 01:52:14  #10

Francis is freaking out, both from awe at the scenery change and the whole announcement that just played. But mostly from awe of the scenery.

"GUYS?! DO YOU ALL SEE THAT?!" He turned to see Silence still licking at the Ghost Gate and Seis standing over Crimson.

Oh! Seis is now standing over Crimson. She's also still covered head to toe in dirt.
Seis puts the worms on the grass and then extends a hand to Crimson, stating, "...I didn't... see you, uhm, see you fall?"
It's obviously a lie, but Seis is trying to save Crimson's pride.

Francis is still yelling at everyone over the Victorian house and garden. Seems like he sort of gets the Creepy Vibes, but also is too much of a design enthusiast to really care.

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

March 20, 2023 17:06:01  #11

Crimson rolled onto his back and waved at Seis.  He knew what she was trying to do.  "It's alright Seis.  I'm fine.  You should dust yourself off, you're covered in dirt."  Crimson rolled off his back and stood up, brushing off his clothes and cracking his neck.  He walked over to Seis and brushed her off a bit and smiled happily.  "Right!  All clean for the most part!  What's all the commotion around here anyways?  And uh, what is Silence doing?" 

Yeah, I'm active here like every day, no I don't have a life outside video games, GGaD or college.  And yes, I do love this place in case it's not clear.  

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

March 20, 2023 20:22:14  #12

"Ooooh, woah!" Kewl stopped trying to lick the gate, surprised by the sudden scenery change as much as anyone would normally be. "That's awesome! Let's go check it out!" 
Fueled by sudden curiosity, they started a run towards the mansion entrance. It's unfortunate Kewl doesn't have an aesthetic sense and thus can't appreciate the beauty of the place.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 20, 2023 21:21:20  #13

The doors of the estate open and a middle-aged lady rushes out to greet you.

"Ah, you must be the detectives I've hired. Please come in."

The gate is now firmly shut behind our lovely group of detectives. Everything occurs on cue. The doors to the mansion open, and a generic looking lady dressed in an Victorian housekeeper uniform rushes out at the right time. Her lips align with the words being said but the voice is still clearly the same narrator, just in a more feminine tone. As you get closer to the mansion however, it becomes apparent that the narration also gets louder.

(Since Crimson is blind, he shouldn't be affected by any of the visual trickery going on. So all he experiences is the odd narration coming from the direction of what appears to be a mansion.)

Marsh
Pronouns? Surprise me
Mariah Carey DNI

18 || Braincells? No

March 21, 2023 17:38:09  #14

Silence darted towards the mansion, pretty quick to catch up. They said to the housekeeper lady (quick to play along as well) "Yep yep! We're detectives!"

At the very least, Silence, Seis, and Francis definitely don't look like detectives. They all look like teenagers who should be in school, and all three have a sort of look as if they would be the types to get detention often despite being good kids.

Francis, following Silence's lead, nodded, "Yeah! Detectives!" He puts his hands on his hips to try to look more serious.

Well, Francis looks curious enough that maybe he could be a detective, but the paint stains on his overalls give away his real profession too much.

Seis explained to Crimson, "...Weeeeelllll... Silence was, uh, was trying to lick t-the gaaaaate, and, uhm... and n-now... talking to, talking to... the person?"

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

March 22, 2023 09:47:12  #15

"The person?  What's that mean?  Are we in trouble somehow?"  Crimson asked Seis.  He knew well enough that this place isn't material, otherwise he wouldn't have fallen through a gate.  Could this be something akin to a hard-light bridge?  Or maybe physical illusions?  Whatever it is, it's quite odd.  

(Oh snapadoodledo!  That's very nice of you to do Marsh!) 

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

March 23, 2023 16:18:52  #16

"We're detectives?" Kewl asked questioningly, but with Silence at their side confirming the claim, they decided to play along with the lie as well. It wouldn't hurt, right? Detectives were the people who looked for stuff in places, from what Kewl remembered. So maybe the lady needed help finding something. That much they could help with.
"Yep, we're the detectives! Whaddaya need to find?"
The blue haired "teen" crossed their arms in a confident pose, a metallic jingle coming from their unusual chain bracelets.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 25, 2023 20:56:40  #17

"A murder has taken place and I'm hoping you can find the culprit." The housekeeper explained as she led the detectives inside.

You see the lady in the uniform makes her way through the front doors, clearly expecting everyone to follow her inside. Once inside, if that is what you decide to do (who knows there might be secrets in the front garden or maybe I'm just wasting your time), you're greeted with a lavish living room. Pristine patterned rugs, red velvet couches, a coffee table made of rich dark wood, all tied up with a simple brocade wallpaper. There are no other doors besides the one main entrance, instead the left and right walls lead straight into the other parts of the house. To the left is a short hall containing multiple doors (most likely the living quarters). To the right is a dinning room with a door that presumably leads to the kitchen. Though of course, these are only the small details.

You see before you, our three suspects. A young lady, perhaps in her late-twenties. An older thirty something man. And a younger man, most likely younger than the other two.

The housekeeper introduces, "This is the late young mistress' handmaiden, she was in charge of taking care of the young mistress' appearance and doing her bidding." The handmaiden is trembling and on the verge of tears, it seems she's too scared to say anything.

"This is our gardener, he is in charge of trimming the bushes and keeping everything alive." The gardener crosses his arms, "I tell ya, I'm innocent, wasn't even in the house when everything went down, was out back watering the flowers." 

"This is our chef, he's only been here a month but the late young mistress loved what he cooked." The chef looked terrified but there is also a hint of excitement in his eyes.

You may choose to talk to one of the three suspects, talk to the housekeeper, or just do whatever you want. Walk through the walls, try to find out where the narration is coming from and why it sounds like a child, you could even lay down and pretend you've become one with the fake illusion floor that's sitting a foot off the actual ground. Nothing is real.

Marsh
Pronouns? Surprise me
Mariah Carey DNI

18 || Braincells? No

March 25, 2023 21:39:08  #18

Crimson followed everybody in and played with hid sword hilt and began to rock back and forth like a rocking chair.  "Soooo, we're in a game of Clue?  Lovely, I happen to suck as visual games.  I guess I could be like Daredevil in a way too..." he said casually.  

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

March 27, 2023 18:27:17  #19

"Ooooh, darn, a murder. That definitely doesn't sound good!" Kewl muttered things to themselves as they listened to the narration. They decided to ignore that the things and people around weren't real. 
They approached the gardener, standing in front of him for a few seconds while they thought. They had taken on the role of a "detective", so what to do now? Detectives investigate. They... ask questions? About whatever they want to find out.
"Can I see the flowers!?"

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

March 28, 2023 12:40:53  #20

"Huh? Yeah sure." The gardener agreed, making his way to the back door.

As the narrator said, the gardener stood up and walked towards the dinning room, through the door to the kitchen where there's another door that led out back. It's a quaint little garden, asters and goldenrod mixed with forget-me-nots and cliché rose bushes. Everything is clearly well taken care of, healthy leaves and blooming buds. There's a little stone path winding through the flora, at the end of the path is a shed. Four walls, one door, pointed roof, a very normal and boring shed.

For those who are in the room, both the handmaiden and the chef relax slightly once the gardener disappears from view.

(Oh forgot to ask this, does Crimson's soul sensing thingy work on invisible beings?)

Marsh
Pronouns? Surprise me
Mariah Carey DNI

18 || Braincells? No

March 28, 2023 19:04:09  #21

Francis followed Kewl and the gardener, gushing over the flowers and such. A true artist at heart, he mumbled to himself, "Oh, I must draw these!" It doesn't matter that all of this isn't t real, Francis still thinks it's beautiful. Obviously, he's checking everything out and focusing on the tiniest of details.

Seis walked up to and stared at the handmaiden as intensely as he could, not really aware that he was staring so hard. Seis was just curious and unsure of how to comfort the lady. Not only that, he had to help solve a mystery! It was like one of his video games! How exciting! 

"Uhmm... hiiiii?" Seis started with. "...Hhhhow are y-you?"

That big ol eye Seis stared with seems a little frightening if you don't know him very well. He's just a bit too excited to help.

Silence was immediately up to the chef, talking excitedly, "So you, like, cook stuff?! Could ya show me the kitchen?"

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

March 30, 2023 20:35:57  #22

Oh dear the narrator said, breaking character for the first time. 

Ah well, the handmaiden promptly bursts into tears, sobbing hysterically. Her words are slurred and incomprehensible. Womp womp, wrong choice buddy!

The chef notices the handmaiden's distress, he is unsure about leaving the room right now.

the narration is definitely closer now, coming from somewhere in the room.

((What are all of the characters, excluding Francis and Kewl, subconsciously thinking right now? It could just be something stupid like how peanut butter can be turned into a diamond))

Marsh
Pronouns? Surprise me
Mariah Carey DNI

18 || Braincells? No

March 30, 2023 21:45:00  #23

Well, Silence is thinking about food, and is a little sad the chef isn't taking them to the kitchen yet. Not that any of the food could possibly be real.

Seis bursts into tears too, hyperempathy taking over. All of this is fake, but Seis can't help but feel empathy! She thought about how she'd feel if her abuelo died, which really fueled her own tears. The handmaiden must have been very close with the current deceased, which must be why she's crying! Now all Seis is thinking about is comforting the handmaiden.

"I-I'm s-s-sorry!" Seis said, trying to hug the handmaiden to the best of her ability. "It's, uhm, okaaaaaayyyyy!" Seis also tries to give a comforting pat on the back.

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

April 5, 2023 19:22:11  #24

(I am so sorry for the lack of reply I thought I had already replied to this hnfhgdjfd)

Kewl went right after the gardener, convinced that they were doing something smart. 
"Oooh, a lot of flowers. You water them all, right? If you let one of them die, does that make you a murderer too?"
They went to a flower and tried to smell it. 

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 5, 2023 20:15:09  #25

There's a sharp wince that causes another screeching microphone feedback.

Oof, dead family... oh well 

You can't see the shrug but whoever it is so very obviously just shrugged. 

It seems your pat on the back actually worked. The handmaiden leans into the contact, she's a little more coherent now. "Th-thank you." She sniffles.

The chef relaxes slightly at that. He turns his attention back to the detective. "Sure I could show you the kitchen, though I'm not supposed to touch anything until this case is cracked." He leans in a bit, jokingly whispering, "Ms. Housekeeper over there's scared I'll mess with food."

Outside, everything pauses, completely still and once the voice is done narrating what goes on inside, the flowers and plants return to their swaying-in-the-fake-wind idle animation. Oh and of course, the flowers smell like absolutely nothing, because they are literally nothing.

Bold move detective, though a little on the nose. The gardener narrows his eyes, taking a defensive stance "What're you implying huh?"

Last edited by Marsh (April 5, 2023 20:15:25)

Marsh
Pronouns? Surprise me
Mariah Carey DNI

18 || Braincells? No

April 11, 2023 18:39:05  #26

"Me?" Kewl straightened and blinked at the gardener with full innocence. Even though they noticed a slight change in tone, they had no idea what that could mean. "Oh, y'know, since it's a murder casse and all, that's supposed to be the theme, no? But it wasn't a flower that died... ahh man, what else am I supposed to say here?"
They brushed a hand through their hair, letting their thoughts wander for a little while. The pause in movement from a while ago came back to mind.
"Haha, it's a lil bit like one of those movie things, but in real life, sorta. I think." 

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 11, 2023 19:51:59  #27

There's pause, not too long but just long enough that it meant something Kewl said just threw our dear narrator off.

Ahem. The gardener shakes his head, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Yer' here for the murder case yeah? Why don't ya go check out the body or the crime scene or something. Then you'll see I've got nothing to do with this." 

Marsh
Pronouns? Surprise me
Mariah Carey DNI

18 || Braincells? No

April 12, 2023 00:39:08  #28

((I'm very sorry for this, but Kewl is one of my least intelligent characters and I keep feeling like I'm taking this in the wrong direction (': ))

"Aha, yep! That's me, a detective, here for the murder case," Kewl states with full confidence (not). "Yeah... that's a good point. I should probably start there. I will start there."
They were about to turn back, but something about the gardener's last sentence reminded them of a conversation they'd overheard not so long ago. About crime and guilt, was it? "Don't worry! You know they say, you're guile- guiltye- guiltyn't-" they struggled with pronouncing the nonexistent word "-until someone proves you are guilty. So we'll see!"
Now giving a truly confident and probably not very reassuring grin, Kewl headed back inside with newfound energies.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

April 16, 2023 21:15:27  #29

Honestly, at this point Somnus is just ready to move the vague blob of a plot forward which is why once inside, the housekeeper greets them immediately and without a word starts moving through the house, expecting Kewl to follow.

The housekeeper stops at the end of the hall, standing before a white door with a brass handle. There's even a stupid little nameplate that reads "Alice Lindall."

Skirting copyright by a centimeter!

The door is triggered by proximity so if Kewl approaches, it will swing inward with a little sprinkle of fake confetti to show an extremely messy murder scene. There's dried, day-old, blood splattered on the walls, even some on the ceiling, and there's a very large puddle of it on the floor as well. At the center of it all is a figure, similarly drenched in blood, sitting in a chair slumped over the desk in front of her. Her neck is twisted weirdly, a weird pixilated censor over the giant gash that looks like it should've cut her head off.

There's an open book lying on the desk, something she was presumably reading before whoever had decided to try and detach her head from her body. Someone had written words in blood onto the open pages.

Marsh
Pronouns? Surprise me
Mariah Carey DNI

18 || Braincells? No

May 7, 2023 18:50:52  #30

When Seis was able to finally get herself to stop tearing up, she hesitantly asked the handmaiden, "If... uhm, if you don't...mind... Can y-you, uhm, you tell... tell me about... the victim? It would, uhm, it would help... a lot!"

Francis stayed with the gardener, quietly standing around and staring at him. He suddenly said, "Take me inside of the shed, please. I would assume it's locked?"

Silence tilted their head and asked the chef, "Are you the only one who cooks here?" With one of their hands, they (politely as they could) made a gesture for the chef to take them to the kitchen.

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

Board footera