HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2023 04:36:05  #1

[double intro] The War Dog and The Hare

((Note: This takes place after the diplomatic trip to the castle, but isn't realllly part of the plot if that makes sense. Just vaguely chronologically after the group left))

An unseasonably warm, clear day heralded the man's arrival to the hamlet, a dense cluster of about a dozen buildings set only a few hundred yards away from the massive old growth forest that marked Anatina's border. He was riding atop a rickety wooden cart that was loaded down with so much blanket-covered cargo that the horse pulling it was visibly having trouble keeping momentum as they rolled along the dirt path. The sound of his approach drove some of the residents out of their homes. There wasn't very many of them at all, far fewer than the collection of buildings suggested could actually live there. The man slowed the cart to a stop and carefully navigated his way down to the ground.

He was dressed simply, in a nondescript traveler's cloak with the hood pulled over his head. But as he began to walk to the back of the cart, he produced an intricately carved cane from within the folds of his cloak, something far too elaborate for a simple cart driver. He leaned on it heavily as he whisked the blankets off of his wares, revealing crates of produce, food, medicine, and some simple weaponry. At this point the villagers ((hamleters??)) had formed an orderly line in front of the cart, craning their necks to see the supplies. As the man waved the first person forward, he greeted them by name with a smile and spoke a few quick words before they loaded their arms with goodies. He did the same to the next person. And the next. And the next. It looked like they all have done this often enough to have a system. However, the way the people quickly brought their new belongings out of sight into the nearest building and exchanged the occasional nervous glances with one another meant this likely wasn't the most law-abiding activity going on. 

With the barren, famine-stricken fields surrounding the hamlet, there aren't many places to hide. It's only a matter of time before someone takes notice of outsiders in their midst. Approach?

Call me Ishmael.
21 | Any Pronouns | wandering forest entity that occasionally visits your kitchen

"Is my body really part of the earth, and is the soul just a metaphor?"

Season's grievings to us, one and all!

February 8, 2023 10:37:01  #2

Re: [double intro] The War Dog and The Hare

Crimson tripped onto the ground and stayed there for a few seconds grumbling to himself before picking himself up .  As he walked by the cart he felt a shiver go down his spine.  "I already have a feeling I'm going to be lead into sometime odd..." he told himself and walked up to the cart.  "Hey traveler.  Whatcha carrying?" Crimson called to the cart driver.  

Yeah, I'm active here like every day, no I don't have a life outside video games, GGaD or college.  And yes, I do love this place in case it's not clear.  

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I do change this siggy often too. 

February 9, 2023 22:39:03  #3

The villagers had put hands on their newly acquired weapons the second they noticed Crimson, but they glanced expectantly at the cart driver as if waiting on his word. He stared at the god for a few seconds, trying to place where he knew the other from. His grip tightened on his cane as he realized this was someone from the group of blasted diplomats that had visited the castle. He wanted nothing more than to give Crimson a hearty wallop for the inconvenience they had caused, but it wouldn’t be beneficial to do so at that time. He had work to do, after all.

”I carry supplies from the capital,” he said carefully, eyeing Crimson with thinly veiled suspicion. “This area is in need of aid. What business do you have here?”

Call me Ishmael.
21 | Any Pronouns | wandering forest entity that occasionally visits your kitchen

February 11, 2023 16:48:01  #4

Neer stood aside from all the others, eyeing the scene in front of him. Being a mage of Time, he was well aware of who Crimson was. Time likes to keep his servants updated, especially ones tasked with serving Anatina on the down low. Like him.

So when he saw Crimson act so upfront in Anatina, he gave a sigh. Does he not know subtlety?

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

February 11, 2023 23:34:04  #5

Crimson laughed a bit and threw his hands up.  "Calm down mate.  I'm not here to cause any trouble this time.  No need to harbor any ill intent to me.  I know you are aware of who I am.  You clearly do anyways.  You're hardly hiding your own thoughts well.  I would greatly advise you to keep your hands off any weapons, I shall do the same.  My name is Crimson Kasani.  I am not of this world, I am of Arithnia.  I came here for some reason I know not.  If it's aid this world need I would be more than happy to help in some way.  And my reasons for being here are not quite my own.  I just want to go home.  I mean nothing else.  

Yeah, I'm active here like every day, no I don't have a life outside video games, GGaD or college.  And yes, I do love this place in case it's not clear.  

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

February 14, 2023 01:25:12  #6

The man leaned his weight to one side, and the villagers slowly took their hands away from their weapons and continued unloading the cart. He gave Crimson a long, calculating look before speaking again. "Perhaps you could be of use," he said, slowly, mulling the idea over in his head. "I was planning on investigating the nearby forest. These people have lost some of their best hunters, and the ones who have returned speak of some monstrous creature that decimated the party in seconds. With the famine, the forest is one of the few places for them to find food on their own. Whatever is attacking them needs to be taken care of to ensure the livelihood of the hamlet. If it's capable of reason, perhaps it can be negotiated with to move on and leave these people alone. If not... well, any threats to the kingdom must be dealt with swiftly."

Call me Ishmael.

February 14, 2023 10:02:35  #7

Crimson bows slightly.  "I'll gladly be the blade to help out.  Though I would like a small payment if possible.  Just two simple items.  A new broadsword and a map.  I truly do hate getting lost all the time.  But other than that, I am very willing to help out." 

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

February 18, 2023 00:08:16  #8

"I can provide you with those once we're done," he replied. "If we survive, of course."
With that, Opulenti turned and began to hobble off in the direction of the forest, leaning heavily on his cane as he did so. 

Call me Ishmael.

February 18, 2023 10:33:38  #9

"You have a name I can refer you by?  It's quite rude to just walk off without an introduction." Crimson asked, trailing the man. 

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

February 19, 2023 02:16:18  #10

A long pause as he continued steadily onward. "General Opulenti," he said tersely. "I lead Anatina's army." He was more focused on getting to the bottom of what was going on in the forest than exchanging pleasantries.

Call me Ishmael.

February 19, 2023 12:10:20  #11

"Where are your men General?  What use are you alone?" Crimson grabbed a branch off the ground and swung it around like a sword.  How rather childish of him.  "And if you serve Anatina does that mean you're also under Prospero too?"  

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

February 19, 2023 21:04:01  #12

"My men are more useful elsewhere. I don't anticipate this requiring that nature of reinforcement." he looked back as Crimson swung around the branch, which earned the deity a loud huff of disapproval. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to have asked him to tag along after all. 

"And yes, I serve Prospero. I wouldn't necessarily say I serve under him. More... alongside. I also act as advisor, and I take orders from him, but I am trusted to be left to my own devices a majority of the time. Such as this. I've made the trip out here to fix the problem before it has to reach the ears of the king."

Call me Ishmael.

February 19, 2023 23:24:22  #13

Crimson lights the stick aflame and stabs it into the dry earth below him.  "You do know what that man is doing to his people right?" he said on a rather dry note.  "I had thought about striking him down for such fowl play, but I'm not the one for that job unless I am ordered to." Crimson's hand shook a slight bit out of a mix of sadness and anger.  "Does he really want to help his kingdom?"

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

February 20, 2023 02:21:54  #14

(This guy really just admitted to thinking about assassinating the king right in front of said king's second-in-command and highest military commander 💀)

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

February 20, 2023 04:43:03  #15

Yeah, that absolutely was not the smartest thing to say to this guy. Strangely, the general didn't break stride. "I am well aware of your feelings towards His Majesty." he replied smoothly, as if Crimson had only been commenting about the weather. "However, I also know that Time and Chronos are unlikely to sign off on that kind of action. It would be foolish, and risks sparking further conflict with the Corrupted Deities. They will not allow you, or anyone, to kill King Prospero in a way that matters."

By this point, they had reached the edge of the forest, and Opulenti stared at the trees for a long moment. He did know what Prospero was doing to the people of Anatina, perhaps more than anyone else. That didn't mean he knew every little detail or machination the king had, but Prospero never did anything without reason. It was a means to an end. Everything was, and always had been.

"King Prospero is doing what he can, and what he must. He inherited a kingdom crippled by weak leadership and poor decisions made by those on the throne before him. Things will be worse before they get better." Without waiting for a response, Opulenti cautiously entered the forest.

Call me Ishmael.

February 20, 2023 09:58:57  #16

(I never said Crimson was the smartest XD) 

Crimson watched the stick turn to ash and let out a heavy sigh.  It seemed to him that even this worlds kingdoms are no better off than his own.  After all, it is true that even Prospero was doing what he could.  Maybe Crimson is the one in the moral grey area, or maybe not.  He decided to put his mind aside and follow Opulenti silently into the forest without any further commentary.  

"He does have a point...Time likely wouldn't let me kill anyone.  But what the odd part is why would the Corrupt get involved?  Are they working with the king?  More questions than answers I guess.  Maybe I'll have to ask someone more...responsible later..." 

As Crimson caught up with Opulenti, he created a small orb of fight, lighting the ground to help lead the way.  Crimson knew that if he wanted to help, he might have to make some...rather stupid and rash choices.  But hey, that's kind of his thing isn't it?  

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

February 20, 2023 14:08:42  #17

((Bro is literally a shonen mc 💀💀))

((Bro just self reported 💀))

This whole time, Neer has been silently following after them, trying to stay hidden here and there. Passing from house to house, from trees to bushes as they gradually entered the treeline.

Time

February 20, 2023 18:31:01  #18

(He's an idiot most of the time, yes.)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

February 23, 2023 06:52:49  #19

They (and Neer, depending on how close the mage was tailing them) walked along a well-established trail, obviously one heavily used by the local hunters and trappers. A couple hundred yards into the forest it began to shrink, crowded by vegetation before vanishing completely. Opulenti, more than comfortable with letting the silence hang as they investigated, stopped at the end of this trail and leaned on his cane, taking in his surroundings.

The trees surrounding them were huge, likely hundreds of years old, untouched by human hands, and teeming with life. Small creatures rustled around nearby, and animal calls both near and far could be heard, a fact that seemed to perplex the general.

"The locals speak as if there's a monster in these woods. You'd think it would be less... lovely," Opulenti commented gruffly. "I was expecting more blood and skeletons."

Call me Ishmael.

February 23, 2023 21:08:06  #20

Crimson tripped here and there, but managed to keep up with the two.  Here and there he could make out the faint outlines of trees...at least that's what he thinks.  It's quite a challenge to not be able to see everything clearly.

"Christ...what could have caused that?  And why did you expect blood and skeletons?  We aren't facing a man eating plant are we?  I'll have you know I'm not a big salad fan after a freaking fly trap nearly nabbed me..." Crimson chimed into Opulenti's statement.  "These woods are older than anything I've seen or even heard of.  Even around Arithnia we don't have anything like this.  It's almost like a dream..." 

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

February 25, 2023 02:52:13  #21

"Not a plant. The locals describe some kind of animal, but the ones who would have gotten a good look at it are missing now. Although..." the general mused, lightly digging at the dirt with his cane. "it could be a rogue Bushbeast. Nasty, unpredictable creatures, they are. It wouldn't surprise me a dormant one awoke after Ishmael's death. One would be right at home in a place like this, with a steady supply of hunters to eat."

Opulenti crouched rather unsteadily and observed the foliage in front of him. It had been quite some time since he had been out hunting himself, and he was a bit frustrated at the lack of direction.

|xxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|

The ground surrounding Neer suddenly turned soft and quicksand-like, the plants around him being sucked under the soil.

Call me Ishmael.

February 25, 2023 11:46:34  #22

"A what now?  The heck is a bushbeast?  I've never heard of that around here." 

Crimson knelt down and put his Limiter to the ground.  As he suspected, there wasn't any magic in the earth.  But why could he feel that the forest is alive somehow?  

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

February 25, 2023 21:51:05  #23

Shoot. That's not good. Well, lets see if soil acting as quicksand (possibly from a magic effect) works the same way as normal quicksand does!

Neer tries to be lighter on his feet, and not stay too long in one spot as to follow behind the other two silently, and to avoid being sucked in himself, it that ever turns the case. At the same time, he activates his magic abilities silently, looking to detect any other possible threats or people within the area, aside from him, and the two people he was trailing.

Time

March 12, 2023 00:46:10  #24

The General glanced back Crimson, incredulous. "They're vicious instruments of war. I once saw a pack of them rip through a battalion like wet paper. I would have thought them better known."

He straightened up and looked around cautiously. The forest had gone eerily silent.

|xxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|

As Neer activated his abilities, the ground instantly stilled and a hare hopped out from the undergrowth. It stood up on its hind legs and regarded the mage with keen, unblinking eyes. There was an intelligence to them, and it briefly looked in the direction of the other interlopers before turning its attention back to Neer. This human was following the others, but why? They didn't carry bows and traps and snares like many others that passed through the forest. How odd.

The hare dropped back down to all fours and whisked back into the undergrowth. Its oddly reflective claws glinted in the light as it ducked under a nearby bush to think. 

Call me Ishmael.

March 12, 2023 23:49:04  #25

"This world is different, that much I am aware of, but this forest doesn't feel like any magic or natural formation I've ever experienced.  Are we sure these Bushbeats came through here?  What use would they need this place here for anyways if they came storming through?"  Crimson stood back up and looked around, watching the tree lines carefully.  

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

March 13, 2023 01:34:35  #26

"What the..." Neer whispered under his breath, noticing its oddly intelligent eyes. He looks back at the other two to make sure he was out of their line of sight before slowly inching closer to the creature cautiously to try to avoid startling or setting it into motion.

Time

March 18, 2023 02:43:01  #27

"It was years ago. I doubt there are any Bushbeasts left in the kingdom. As far as I know, most don't venture out of Ishmael's domain anymore." Opulenti's voice was quiet, more focused on the surrounding trees than his response. His grip tightened on his cane. "Something is here."

|xxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|

The hare huddled under the bush, debating on whether to stay or retreat. The mortals didn't look like they were hunting, but it didn't know what they were actually doing here. It was possible they were up to something worse. It noticed Neer creeping closer, and decided to take a gamble. It hopped back out from under the bush and stood on its haunches again to get a better look at him, twitching its nose.

Call me Ishmael.

March 19, 2023 19:47:08  #28

"To be honest, I'm having a hard time even seeing any auras around here.  Well to be more specific this forest to me is warping and moving." Crimson lowered his voice in response.  "I really don't trust this place . It's odd enough to freak anyone out..."  

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

March 20, 2023 00:07:44  #29

Neer backs up a bit as the creature lunged back out, "Uhm. Hello?" He greets the creature in a more hushed voice, feeling sort of awkward as the other hasn't said anything.

Time

March 24, 2023 06:37:07  #30

"That probably means we're in the right place," Opulenti responded grimly. He quietly cast a spell, looking for auras or any odd energies himself with similar luck. He inwardly cursed at his lack of planning-- there must have been some very useful spells buried within the castle's library, but he had been in such a rush to leave while it was still dark, it didn't even cross his mind.

|xxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|

The hare stared at Neer before looking pointedly at the pair the mage was obviously sneaking around. It was almost as if he was hunting the other two, though the hare had never seen that before. Was that something humans did regularly? This one seemed to be pretty good at it if the others hadn't noticed him. 

A flash of unfamiliar magic-- Opulenti's spell-- made the animal narrow its eyes in... suspicion? Hard to tell on such a little face. It dropped back down on all fours and started slowly moving in the direction of the General and Crimson.

Call me Ishmael.

Board footera