GGaD

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2022 23:36:05  #1

[Public but @Time since it's in Clocktower] The poisoned mortal lives!

It had been a few days since the mortal had been brought to the Clocktower to be treated for his wounds. He had recovered surprisingly quickly from being in the equivalent of a coma for so long-- physically, at least. The color had returned to his face, and he had been up and wandering the halls despite the protests of those working in the infirmary. However, he still struggled with his amnesia, and there had been a couple incidents where he had been found curled up in a corner somewhere in the middle of the night, clutching his head and muttering incomprehensibly.

Currently, he appeared to be in good spirits. He was outside the Clocktower, laying in a patch of grass under the sun. Huck was beside him, sleeping soundly for the first time in months. The mortal was using the creature's massive leg as a backrest as he pored over a large map he had taken from the tower. The map was suspended between a frame of vines, allowing him to inspect it without having to bend over or use a table. 

He was wearing the clothing he had arrived in, his tattered red coat draped over his shoulders like a blanket. Instead of a shirt, his chest was heavily bandaged. The mortal leaned forward slightly to get a better look at something on the map, then winced as the movement caused his wound over his heart to protest sharply. With a small wave of his hand, the vines adjusted, bringing the map closer to his face. His expression was a mixture of perplexity and frustration and he squinted at the words.

Call me Ishmael.
21 | Any Pronouns | wandering forest entity that occasionally visits your kitchen

"Is my body really part of the earth, and is the soul just a metaphor?"

Bones are creaky, knees weak, voice is squeaky

August 20, 2022 03:56:35  #2

Re: [Public but @Time since it's in Clocktower] The poisoned mortal lives!

The sound of footsteps approach the mortal, though it definitely wasn't the calm stride Time normally gives. Rather, its a much more peppy step.

"Yo Stranger!" A the owner of the steps called out, waving his arm (and only arm) back and forth. This owner was no other than Cuthwolf, but the mortal might've not known that. He'd seen the youth every now and then, but didn't really interact with him. Cuthwolf quickly zipped by the man's side, and squatted down on his toes, as he was in human form, "Whatcha doin'?" he asks. It seems that he;s pretty interested in this Stranger, so much so he just simply forgot to exchange introductions.

((Ok Time will enter in at some soon for more important plot stuff no worries))

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

August 20, 2022 07:38:12  #3

The mortal was so focused on the map that he barely noticed the boy run up to him until he spoke. He rather reluctantly tore his gaze away from his studies and offered a small friendly wave in return. He had noticed Cuthwolf had only one arm, but that fact hadn't done much to faze the man-- he had seen a lot stranger in the past few days alone.

"Oh, I'm simply looking at this map here." The vines holding the map angled more in the direction of Cuthwolf, showing him that it was a fairly up-to-date map of the medieval sect, including major cities, landmarks, and approximate locations of deity domains in the area.

"I thought it may help to jog my memory, but..." he sighed. "I think all it's done is confuse me more, if I'm being quite honest. Sometimes I will see a name and recognize it, but as soon as I try to capture that feeling, it escapes me. I feel as if I'm trying to catch light. I can see it and feel its heat, but I can never truly hold it."

He realized at that point he was lamenting his extremely personal loss of identity to a random child. "My apologies, I seem to have forgotten my manners along with everything else," he said quickly with a sheepish grin. "I would tell you my name, but I'm afraid I don't know that, either. Who might you be?"

Call me Ishmael.
21 | Any Pronouns | wandering forest entity that occasionally visits your kitchen

August 20, 2022 16:02:18  #4

"I'm Cuthwolf!" He smiled, shifting from his squat to a cross-legged sit beside the mortal as he scooted in to see the map better.

Afterwards and studying the map for the moment, Cuthwolf says, "I feel like looking at a map isn't enough to jog a memory. But maybe it gives good leads on things that might! I think you're taking steps in the right direction!" He nods to himself confidently as if approving on his own advice.

"But what have you been recognizing?" He asks the mortal, scratching the tip of one of his ears.

Last edited by Time (August 20, 2022 16:03:49)

Time

August 21, 2022 00:28:38  #5

"Well, it's very nice to meet you, Cuthwolf! It feels like I see someone new every day around here." The mortal pointed at a collection of kingdoms that were clustered closely together. "This area here, for the most part, is what I think I am supposed to know. This isn't a very detailed map in terms of local landmarks and things of that nature, so it's only the names of the kingdoms, but I feel as if I've studied it before. I have very vague feelings about many things, yet when I try to remember specifics, I can't seem to place anything at all. It's quite disconcerting."

As he spoke, his finger traced over the territory of Anatina. "This is the most familiar to me. I know that I had people I was looking after, and I failed in some way... and I know that I did something to upset a very powerful man, enough that he wished to kill me."

The man frowned and subconsciously moved back against the Bushbeast's leg for comfort. The feeling that he must have done something so awful, so horrible that the consequence was his death had been plaguing him for days. The fact he could remember none of it made it all the more distressing. How do you atone for something if you had no idea what you did?

Huck uttered a low grumble in his sleep, as if sensing the mortal's stress.

Call me Ishmael.

August 21, 2022 00:39:29  #6

"That sounds bad," a certain Ancient Chinese boy comments out of literally nowhere. "I heard that it isn't fun for someone to wanna kill you." 
At least he doesn't do the invisibility thing like the character he was based on does. It's just that he's appeared out of nowhere as well and is peering over the map backwards, likely being in the mortal's personal space while doing so. He stumbles back after a bit due to being about to fall onto the other's lap and looks at Huck like a kid would at a dog.
Sure enough, after a moment, he asks: "Do you know if it's okay to pet him?" 
Priorities 100%.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

August 21, 2022 01:11:43  #7

He looked back at Huck for a couple seconds, contemplating the question. He wasn't actually all that familiar with the creature. Sure, the Bushbeast had carried him around and was the reason he was still alive in the first place, but it wasn't as if they were making small talk the whole time. Still, he didn't strike the mortal as being particularly friendly. Having been carried in Huck's mouth for a few months, he had firsthand experience with the size of his teeth. Probably not a good idea to let strangers try to touch him.

"I'm sorry, I don't think he likes being pet. He's sleeping too, so it's best not to bother him. They don't need to sleep regularly like you or I, but a slumbering Bushbeast means they've expended a lot of their energy without a break and need to replenish themselves. A good nap in the sun like he's doing right now should be enough." the man's expression had brightened as he explained, but it now returned to the look of  puzzled frustration he had earlier. He'd been making that face a lot these days. "I'm not sure why I know that, but it seems correct. Perhaps I'm more knowledgeable on these creatures than I think."

One of Huck's eyes opened, revealing the glowing blue amber within. "Short answer: no," he rumbled.

Call me Ishmael.

August 21, 2022 01:19:49  #8

"That's okay," Lianhuan was saying just as the Bushbeast answered for himself. Undeterred, he adds, "I know different people have different limits. Thanks for putting so much thought into it...oh!" That's a cue for a topic change. "Do you maybe want to come up with a name others can call you until you find your old one?" His gaze wanders back to Felix and even to Cuthwolf as he asks that. "Maybe that'd be a good idea?"

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

August 21, 2022 01:56:55  #9

Just as about Cuthwolf was to nod in agreement with Lianhuan, another set of footsteps tell that another is arriving, "Hang on." Time says, "I want to ask some more questions."

Time walks past the others to stop in front of the stranger a bit of a ways away. He shifts his weight as he stand in the grass onto one of his legs, "First of which, how are you feeling?"

Time

August 21, 2022 02:11:26  #10

"A name would be nice," he conceded. At the arrival of Time, he gave the deity a respectful dip of his head before replying. "I'm feeling better by the day. I cannot thank you enough for your help and hospitality. I'll have to find some way to repay you down the road for your generosity."

Call me Ishmael.

August 21, 2022 03:46:35  #11

"Mhm. Much appreciated." Time acknowledged, but he quickly moved onto his next question, "I know this may sound weird, but how much do you wish to remember yourself?"

"Finding out who you are, or were, may be something you're willing to do, but it also means reintroducing yourself the the past dangers and problems you had. From what I can tell, it seems those problems and dangers were quite major with someone poweful out for your head."

"By now, they could presume you dead from poison, but they definitely won't if you look to relearn your past."

"I'm sure that if some were in this position, they'd rather start anew than face that danger. I wanted to double check before I give some possilble leads: what will it be for you?"

((Ayo how secretive and how much time has passed since the coup give or take))

Time

August 21, 2022 05:37:29  #12

Coup is VERY public considering they blasted their way through everything lol, I'd give it like,,, a year? since it happened, give or take a month??? Gonna leave that timeline intentionally squishy))

He thought for a moment, staring out on the forest. On one hand, this was a unique opportunity to completely reinvent himself. Like Time said, people most likely thought he was dead. But that would mean turning his back on people. And even if he didn't remember those people, he didn't want to do that.

"I'd like to know who I am. Whatever I don't know is still part of me. Any information you have is important."

Call me Ishmael.

August 21, 2022 08:22:48  #13

“Information!? I’ve got some of that!” Ark has arrived. Arrived late, but he has indeed arrived. “I mean, I might have information. Might not. Depends, really. But anyway, whatcha guys doin?” It should be noted that he is standing in the nearest window. 

Axel
"Martial arts is... a way to move all cool like?"
Live like nobody's watching
I aten't dead
If i was rich, I'd fill up a room with buttons, and then when you pressed them they'd make satisfying sounds

August 21, 2022 17:14:53  #14

"The gods tend to know what's happening, so we could ask around," Lianhuan offers, possibly due to Ark's arrival. "The other things we could look at are that general area on the map. And also, the poison. If the poison's from that area, then it'd definitely be a..." he tries to think of the word. "Leash?"
Lead.
He tries to think if he passed by that area himself, but he's not particularly good with remembering English names. He'll probably have to see the landscape for himself before he can remember.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

August 21, 2022 22:27:22  #15

((They blasted through everything?? I don't remember that lol))

Time acknowledges the arrival of Ark, "We're discussing this mortal's memories, and any possible leads we have for them. Feel free to add on." he then goes on to revealing some information.

"So, your coat, yes?" He motions towards it, "I'd assume The Ouroboros is a family crest, is it not? You also remember you were looking out for a group, and you had a sense of importance. Two and two together, it's obvious you're nobility of some sort."

He then points to the map, "You also have a significant familiarity to Anatina. As of a while ago, a coup was staged. Now I don't know the gritty details of it, though I should, considering the possible sponsors of the coup, but The King, and I assume any nobles were loyal to him were hunted down and killed. I'm sure you can defer from that."

"If needed we could follow up on what Lianhuan," He then nods to the Chinese Boy, "proposed and run tests from where the poison came from to confirm your nationality. Though using it to confirm where you come from can be iffy since the poison could have been provided from external sources. It could probably be used to help tract down said external sources though."

Last edited by Time (August 21, 2022 22:34:11)

Time

August 22, 2022 08:55:05  #16

“I feel like I remember something about a coup happening a while ago. A buncha souls went and floated off at  once.” Ark steps down from the window. “I could try to track down a Royal soul and see if they recognize this guy.”

Axel
I aten't dead
If i was rich, I'd fill up a room with buttons, and then when you pressed them they'd make satisfying sounds

August 24, 2022 02:19:16  #17

Prospero exploded at least two doors iirc and a couple guards got killed. Felix was a very public-facing ruler so the coup would have been noticed by Anatina's neighbors regardless))

The information of the coup had stunned the mortal into silence for a few moments. To be honest, that hadn't done much to assuage the fear that he had done something horrible-- he could have very well have been participating in the coup just as much as he could have been a victim in it. But, some answers were better than none, and it seemed like they were circling in on the truth.

He reached up to the Ouroboros symbol on his coat, absentmindedly rubbing the fabric in his fingers. It felt comforting, familiar, a practiced movement done countless times before. A secret sign he'd used in many social events to tell Figura he was ready to leave. Figura? "I--"

Searing pain ripped across his chest, causing the mortal to double over with a strangled cry. The vines still  holding the map fell away, withering and crumbling to dust before they even hit the ground. The plants around him rapidly wilted, an effect that was already steadily spreading in radius.

The instant the mortal had hunched over, Huck fully awoke with a startled roar, leaping away from the him with an expression he rarely displayed: pure fear. A large portion of the foliage growing on the Bushbeast's back had turned a sickly yellow color, and fell off the creature in a shower of leaves as he landed several yards away from the mortal. On impact, he stumbled and instinctively lowered himself into a more aggressive posture but fell heavily on his side, gouging a deep furrow into the soil. Huck struggled to rise again, only to collapse back onto the ground with an earth-shaking thud. Throughout, he never took his eyes off the mortal, his ears flattened and lips pulled back in a feral snarl as he dug his claws into the dirt.

The mortal, however was oblivious to this, blinded by pain. He may not have known many things, but he knew magic when he felt it. But this was not the easy, comfortable warmth he felt when he grew the vines that morning, or when he had awoken in Shiloh's domain. This was dark, angry, intensely unnatural. Panic seized him, and from somewhere within he found the strength to lift his head to look pleadingly at the others. His eyes were entirely black with many pinpoints of white, like faraway stars.

Call me Ishmael.

August 24, 2022 03:19:50  #18

It takes Lianhuan a second to react and another second to remember that there are two deities of magic here who should be much more adept at dealing with the main cause of whatever is happening. As a result, he chooses to work with the surroundings rather than directly reacting to what the mortal is experiencing. He puts his hands together asymmetrically and starts what could be considered background work. A bright circular ring forms from where he stands and rapidly spreads across the ground, racing against the wilting of the foliage around them. Once it expands to a reasonable degree, the ring lifts, brightens even more, and rotates around the confined area. 
There are a few intended uses of his spell. One, it checked for anyone in the vicinity who might have been plotting to take advantage of the sudden moment of weakness that had appeared. Two, it sought to keep out anyone with ill intentions if they were outside of the area. Three, it served as a healing amplifier, albeit a very modest one, for both living organisms and the general surroundings. And four, because Lianhuan was using his sector's magic for once rather than what he learned in Forengard, it had an advantage in purifying negative influences, potentially being able to alleviate the effects of the magic targeting the human and the Bushbeast, Huck. 
Unfortunately, none of those effects were spectacular. For the magic gods there, in fact, his efforts might have even felt shorthanded. The range of the spell was relatively low, its strength mediocre, its foundation relatively weak as well. It seems that in addition to Lianhuan's unimpressive ability in his sector's magic, he's also panicking a fair degree for a child. But it's the effort that counts...right?

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

August 24, 2022 06:03:03  #19

“Woah woah woah!” Ark reacts in a similar manner. He snaps his fingers, and a short wave of light bursts out from his fingertips in all directions. Anyone in the area who has a relatively normal soul suddenly notices it glowing. A yellow glow for non hostile souls, and a red one for hostility. He also places his own shield outside the area. However, he seems to lack in healing capabilities. Other magic god, you’re up.

Axel
I aten't dead

August 24, 2022 15:02:19  #20

Time narrows his eyes and mumbles under his breath. Ever since Ishmael was gone, he's always been the default healer in the pantheon. While he wasn't a healing deity, he'd have to suffice for the moment.

"Cuthwolf, get inside. Tell the others what's going on." His voiced rang out, much more firm and intense.

"Do you think demigods can be corrupted, Ark?" He asked as he walked through the wilted grass close to the mortal. He raised his hand towards the mortal as a magic circle started to appear in front of his hand. It felt like this energy was more of a negative, malevolent type, so Time looked to see if he could cancel it out with positive energy at first while he assessed the situation further.

A flood of healing magic entered the mortal's body, specifically the area of his wound. While this was happening, Time tried to study the traces of magic around the area to see if he could find a better way to counter the situation, and even attempt to trace the origin.

Time

August 24, 2022 17:57:41  #21

Ark shrugs. “Maybe. For all we know this-“ He nods towards the mortal. “-could just be caused by some random outsider who really hates this guy. Besides, it’s just a general detection spell. Not really meant for just demigods.”

Axel
I aten't dead

August 25, 2022 03:28:47  #22

Huck's snarling had subsided slightly as Lianhuan's spell did its work. He was able to stand on all four legs now, but the part of his foreleg that the mortal had been leaning against looked... odd. The Bushbeast's thick bark had sloughed off a portion of his injured leg, revealing a chunk of dark, rotting wood beneath. After a brief precursory sniff, the dhole began to gnaw at the rotting wood. It crumbled easily under the creature's teeth, falling to the ground until only healthy, untouched wood remained. Sap was already seeping out of the wound to aid in the healing process. 

Huck paced around the group, limping heavily as he did so. He was on high alert, but his gaze kept shifting from the surrounding forest to watch the mortal. Not out of concern, but with uncertain wariness.

Besides the group already assembled, there didn't seem to be anyone else nearby...

The mortal flinched away at Time's hand, partially from the shock of feeling more magic enter his system, but also because even in his state, he was worried about potentially harming the god, however unlikely that may have been. He was shaking and hyperventilating as he muttered incoherently to himself.

The healing magic was doing well against... whatever was going on. The pain in his chest began to ease, along with some of his panic. His eyes cleared, returning to their normal dark brown, and they darted frantically around as he registered the fact that a fairly large amount of magic had just been (and was continuing to be) used at his expense.

The spread of decaying plants had slowed considerably, but it was still gradually creeping outwards. Time would likely be able to very clearly see the magic was originating solely from the mortal, practically enveloping him with its signature. It appeared to be most focused on the wound on his chest, and its power was waning as the healing magic persisted. Despite the care and attention the mortal had been given the previous days, it was as if the wound had returned to its original state, necrotic toxin and all..

The man sat upright with a low groan. He was extremely dizzy, and he pinched the bridge of his nose while squeezing his eyes shut as he attempted to orient himself. His thoughts were as clouded as ever, and a headache that felt like he had been kicked by a horse was not exactly helping.

"Horse," he mumbled. "Big horse."

Call me Ishmael.

August 26, 2022 01:52:00  #23

"Nope." Time answers Ark, noting the current surroundings, "This magic is definitely from him. Or the poison." His mind churns as to why the reaction happened. But for now...

Time looks to the mortal, "How are you feeling?" He asks him.

Time

August 28, 2022 00:19:07  #24

The mortal let out a shaky breath, opening one eye to look at the god. "I'm not sure how to answer that," he admitted. "I, um... don't think I'm supposed to do that, and I would rather not do so again."

Call me Ishmael.

August 28, 2022 02:39:18  #25

Time frowns, "Unfortunately, my current theory is that there's some secondary enchantment delivered by the poison or something in which results a big reaction whenever you try to learn your past. A backup to if you survived the initial wound." He explains, ready to react just in case the decaying energy flares up again, "If we're not careful, it may happen again."

He pauses for a moment. Then speaks up, "Say, do you remember any information on the past that I gave you?"

Time

August 28, 2022 04:54:39  #26

The mortal was equally bracing for a negative reaction, but there was no decimation of local fauna this time. His head was still throbbing painfully, though he had no way of knowing if he was making that worse. "A coup... I think there was other fighting before I was stabbed, I assume it was related. I was not directly involved in that, however. And a name, I think," he replied hesitantly. "Something called a Figura."

Call me Ishmael.

August 28, 2022 06:08:54  #27

“Hm…” Ark deactivates his detection spell. “Well, at least we have a name now! That’s something we can work with.”

Axel
I aten't dead

August 28, 2022 13:59:39  #28

"Yeah. That's good that you can remember something." Time nods, "Though it could also mean that if you ever pick up new knowledge from the past, expect it to be fatal. Assuming the theory is correct. I'm going to have to run some more tests on your condition at some point, if you don't mind."

Last edited by Time (August 28, 2022 13:59:57)

Time

September 1, 2022 02:01:39  #29

Not much of a choice to be had there-- run some tests or die to the unknown. The man nodded a little. "Fine by me. However, I'd like to ask if those tests could be done sooner rather than later, or at least be able to be performed on the road. I think it's about time I prepare to take my leave. Perhaps I can find answers in Anatina. At the very least, if what you say about the coup is true, there may be those there that need my assistance."

With that, the mortal stood, moving in a slow, agonizing way of someone thrice his age. Well, at least he's up now.

Huck had somewhat rejoined the group and watched this passively. His wariness had dissipated from an outside perspective, but he was still a bit further away from the man than he had been in the past. "You look like you are going to fall with the next breeze," the creature commented matter-of-factly.

Call me Ishmael.

September 1, 2022 02:14:46  #30

"Another thing." Lianhuan, who's mostly been in standby, talks again. Though, his voice gives off the impression that he's still trying to heal the plants around them, or at least the ones that aren't entirely gone yet. "Let's assume for the moment you were one of the people that the, uh, the coup targeted. What's to stop you from being killed by whomever wants to kill you? And who would even help protect you? You don't even know who's after your life, right? And you don't know who your friends were." He looks at Time, like he's not sure what he's saying makes sense. "It'd be really not smart if you go into a place where you don't know friend from enemy."

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

Board footera