HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2021 15:41:20  #31

Re: ((Character Intro)) An eerie tone drifts from the forest...

The man looked up, shouldering his axe. "What do you know about that sort of thing, kid?" he asked gruffly. "Firewood's expensive. Easier to chop it yourself."

Zioki was visibly shaking, not with fear, but anger. "You're not supposed to be here." she said quietly to the man. "Nobody is allowed to be here." she pointed at him accusingly. "I'll only say this once: leave, and don't come back."

Your local Kacchan-obessesed Quirkless Failure

"We build a giant Hatsune Miku mech and get Shinji to pilot it." ~Me

I have almost 2 creative writing credits to my name and no I won't let anyone forget it

December 29, 2021 16:10:39  #32

Man, I wish I had Alois here. He knows all kind of laws, Silence thought. Gods, I hate adults. Can't he see he's upsetting the kid?

Silence said, "Yeah, this ain't really property you own, and I'm sure you're doing something probably illegal since, like, you don't own the property. So, like. You should probably stop."

The fact this is coming from a gothic punk ninten year old is a bit funny. Of course, though, they're really just saying it because they've seen that people get nervous when the law is mentioned.

Echo
he/him xe/xem
Hektor's #1 Simp, Live Laugh Love Hektor
lil angst gumdrop
“If he be Mr. Hyde,” he had thought, “I shall be Mr. Seek.”

December 29, 2021 19:28:22  #33

Xolani, who walks slowly enough to have just arrived, tilts their head slightly.
The interesting thing is that to the man, they look different than they do to the other two individuals. Older, for one. More mature. Their words are likely to be taken more seriously, though of course that isn't always true. But to Silence and Zioki, they still look the same. Cropped hair, dim eyes, unimposing stature. 
They untilt their head. "Despite your assessment of monetary balances being true, permission to alter this environment was not obtained," they state. "In addition to leaving by obligation, you must compensate for your actions and their potential consequences. Re-plant two trees for all those you have cut down and apologize to the owner of this domain."

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

December 29, 2021 20:51:47  #34

The man's eyes narrowed slightly. "Nobody owns this property, I can cut as much wood as I want. And who's going to stop me anyway, you? You're just kids. Besides, half the trees here are dead anyway. I'm doing these woods a favor."

Zioki had a dangerous light in her eyes. She looked like she was about to singlehandedly destroy this man herself.

I have almost 2 creative writing credits to my name and no I won't let anyone forget it

December 29, 2021 21:11:28  #35

"Oh, look. He said a key term there," a voice speaks out of nowhere. 
It seems to be coming from some distance away, but it's getting closer. Diverting one's sight to its source reveals a man with a cloak and red hue around where the eyes assumingly are.
Xolani doesn't seem surprised. (They seldom are.) But that indicates that they may know this individual. They remain still.
"'What, Xolani? You aren't going to talk? Going to leave it to me?" The tone of the voice is teasing, a little playful. 
"Well then, I will gladly do so for you." He steps out, behind some bushes, steps closer to the man than any of the others are standing to him, and almost extends his hand in a business-like fashion.
"Greetings, treecutter. You won't be able to cut any trees with all of us here, so what do you say about some compromising? The stakes are higher for you than any of us, after all."

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

December 29, 2021 21:18:22  #36

(I immediately imagined Joker from Persona 5 and I have no explanation for this)

The man eyed the newcomer suspiciously.

Zioki almost forgot her anger in her surprise of this newcomer. Despite her strong urge to hide from him, she stood her ground.

December 29, 2021 21:50:56  #37

He smiles amiably and finishes extending his hand. The other is held slightly, freely, behind his back, but it is visible to Silence, Xolani, and Zioki. Nothing there.
In a way or many, he is as if an antithesis to Xolani. Dark skin, confident stature, tall height, pale hair. Even the smile counts. And of course, there are those startling eyes--that convey that when he wants something done, he usually gets it done.
But most of that's only visible to the man. To Silence and Zioki, perhaps another contrasting trait shines through more.
He, too, is an adult. 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

December 30, 2021 09:47:40  #38

"We can rip his fingers off if he doesn't want to compromise," Silence suggested, somewhat absentmindedly as they watched a leaf tumble around. 

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

December 30, 2021 10:57:44  #39

"Look, I already told you," the man said impatiently, "This land isn't owned by anyone. Look, I even have a permit." He yanked a folded piece of paper out of his pocket.

"Just because it isn't owned doesn't mean that you can be here." Zioki said. "It was people like you that nearly killed this forest in the first place."

The man glared at Zioki, then turned his attention back to the only other adult in the group.

December 30, 2021 19:44:36  #40

"Let's get to a common starting point," he suggests, taking the permit as permitted. As he unfolds it, Xolani tries to stare over his shoulder like a curious penguin.
"First, we all don't want the others here to get ticked," he says, using his free hand to briefly make a "one" gesture. Seeming to have finished reading it (please narrate/summarize what is on it, including when it was issued, who issued it, and other such relevant specifics), he hands it back to the man. "That would not resolve anything and would result in violence, so that is quite unsatisfactory as outcomes go."
Xolani nods, not that they really want anything.
"Second, there's a bottom line we all have that we cannot have crossed. I personally would prefer no mutilations of any sort, whether of one's fingers or anywhere else. But the guardian of this forest here--apologies in advance for not speaking your names--wants to avoid any actions that may lead to past circumstances recurring. That is, destruction, death, and deforestation. You, of course, sir, want to save some money from having to buy firewood. Oh, by the way, I would like to say in advance that I appreciate your recognition of the difference between dead wood and live wood." 
He smiles again, seemingly without any hostility.
"I am not sure whether you have encountered similar circumstances in the past, but I assure you that this case is different from most others. It transcends legality because the circumstances aren't quite under the jurisdiction of any governmental entity that might have issued you that permit. She--" he gestures slightly towards Zioki, "--is not just who she appears to be. She lives in these woods, and her existence may well depend on them."
"It is her home," Xolani decides to add, making the other stop in his speaking temporarily. Fixating their gaze on the treecutter, they suggest, "The right to regulate what guests may or may not do in one's home is protected, not just under laws."
"Right," he agrees, just going along with the flow for now. "It's not your fault for wanting cheap firewood and for entering without permission for that purpose. You didn't know, after all. But what she fears is that you might bring less considerate people here, who might destroy her home."
Not that he's very considerate, but y'know, you don't call someone you're compromising with a jerk. Neither does he believe that the other truly is a complete jerk, at least for now.
"So, here is my take on this situation," he says, glancing at Zioki and then to the man again. "I believe that if you are willing to respect her boundaries as the one who has the right to decide what happens in her home, she would possibly be willing for you to take wood from here, given that you follow certain conditions. For instance, such conditions could entail doing so in sustainable amounts, only chopping down trees that have truly died, and not advertising this area as a woodcutting place to the public in the future. In the future, I would suggest that you seek a permit in places that do not have the complex circumstances as this one."
He lifts his hands slightly, one hand inclining towards Zioki and the other towards the man. "How does that sound to you two for now? We can all work this out more if that is agreeable to the both of you."

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

December 30, 2021 20:12:39  #41

Zioki looked up at this strange man, then to the woodcutter. "You can cut down the dead trees on the outer rim of the forest." She said finally. "No farther, and only the dead ones. I'll spare you replanting the trees, I can do that well enough myself. But if you go anywhere past the outer rim," her eyes glinted dangerously, "You won't leave these woods again."

The woodcutter leaned on his axe. "Alright, kid, whatever you say." His eyes narrowed maliciously. "But I'm curious, how did someone like you get end up with this forest? I've heard plenty of stories about these woods."

December 31, 2021 01:24:17  #42

"Stories?"

Silence sat down on the ground, shifting into a cat again.

"Meow, what kind of stories? Is this even a well-known area? It looks like a plain old woods to me."

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

December 31, 2021 14:38:31  #43

"Most say that there was a woman murdered here. But there is one other story. It says that many decades ago, all the nymphs in this forest were killed...except for one." He looked into Zioki's dark eyes, almost menacingly. "That wouldn't happen to be you, would it? I wonder, was there a reason that all the nymphs, the watchers of the forest, disappeared overnight, except for you? You wouldn't happen to be the reason they disappeared, would you?"

Zioki stood silently, staring at the ground, her hair drifting slightly in the breeze. Dusk had finally fallen. 

December 31, 2021 16:41:52  #44

"Hey, leave the kid alone," Silence hissed.

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

December 31, 2021 16:55:47  #45

"What makes you so sure she's really a kid?" the woodcutter demanded. "If any of the rumors are true, this...this thing is almost a century old."

December 31, 2021 19:08:11  #46

"Well, if I may interject, stories are what they are so named--stories. However, if elements of what you said are true, then I find it hard to rationalize through your hypothesis. How does it matter how old she is?" The adult speaking, of course, an amused expression on his face.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

December 31, 2021 22:52:01  #47

The man's eyes narrowed. "This whole place is more trouble than it's worth." He swung his axe back onto his shoulder. "You win, kid, or whatever you are. But the rest of you?" he looked at the others. "I hope you know what you've done." 

With that, he stomped off.

December 31, 2021 23:06:48  #48

"Bye, sir. Have a nice day," the man says after the other's departing silhouette, sounding perfectly unbothered. 
Xolani, who doesn't know what they did but honestly could not care less, tugs on a bit of his companion's clothing. Upon the other looking at them, they shake their head briefly and drop their hand.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

December 31, 2021 23:10:10  #49

"Finally," Silence said, watching the man walk away.

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

December 31, 2021 23:26:48  #50

He laughs. "It wasn't half bad, compared to some other situations I've come across. Maybe cut him a little slack for now."
He pauses.
"Now, if I may..." He repositions himself to face towards Zioki and Silence. The wind blows through his hair, though none of it obscures his face. Though the sun has mostly fallen, there is still enough light to see that his features are rather kind. He appears to be in his younger twenties, the mid twenties at most, though behind his age there seems to be plenty of wisdom.
"By technicality, I may already know your aliases, but they were, unfortunately, acquired as if by eavesdropping. I consider that unpleasant, so if you are comfortable telling me what you are addressed as, I would be quite honored."

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

December 31, 2021 23:32:12  #51

Silence popped back into their usual form, grinning their usual goofy, "no-thoughts-behind-those-eyes" smile.

"Name's Silence."

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

December 31, 2021 23:48:36  #52

Zioki, noticing the man looking directly at her, dropped her eyes. "My name is Zioki." she said quietly.

December 31, 2021 23:59:50  #53

"Nice to meet you both. I'm Nagesh."
"Nage-shu," Xolani murmurs, as if to correct him. That prompts a laugh. 
"Only for one person, and I think it'll stay that way. Call me that if you want, though. I don't mind." 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

January 2, 2022 01:00:15  #54

"Nice ta' meet you all," Silence nodded.

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

January 2, 2022 18:27:22  #55

"So, I'm supposing that hoping you two have seen a supernatural, fleeting forest would be too much to hope for...?" He laughs a little at the end, probably finding even his own description of the forest hard to believe.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

January 2, 2022 18:29:55  #56

Zioki's eyebrows furrowed. "You're searching for a...walking forest?"

January 2, 2022 18:50:52  #57

"Teleporting would be closer, but I suppose if the description were metaphorical, it could work," he replies with a nod.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

January 2, 2022 18:55:48  #58

Zioki was trying to figure out if Nagesh possibly meant a group of wood nymphs. I mean, if they're tree spirits...they could be considered a walking forest.

January 2, 2022 19:07:54  #59

Xolani looks at Nagesh and shakes their head. 
"It is extremely unlikely for them to have glimpsed that forest," they state. "There is a need of too many overlapping, coincidental circumstances."

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

January 6, 2022 02:01:00  #60

Silence looked confused.

"Forests can, like, move and stuff? Like, change location???"

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

Board footera