HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2021 01:16:40  #1

A familiar face in Shiloh’s domain.

((Vibes: 
))

In the year since Shiloh’s takeover and Ishmael’s subsequent death, the forest had reclaimed the land with a wild fervor. The mansion that Ishmael lived in, already previously dilapidated, had become almost entirely overgrown. Vines crawled up its crumbling walls, and here and there a tree branch could be seen jutting through a broken window. Paths that had simply been unkempt were now virtually nonexistent, covered in a dense layer of undergrowth. 

Despite this abundance of life, the forest was silent. No chatter of insects or birds could be heard. For the domain of a powerful wood nymph, the lack of any life besides plants was uncanny. She had left the forest mostly to its own devices, traveling to some secret location for months at a time and scarcely returning for more than a day or two.

The silence was broken with a rustle of leaves and snapping twigs— footsteps, and heavy ones, too. From the trees emerged a Bushbeast with the head of a dhole. It was carrying something in its jaws. It moved cautiously, ears swiveling to search for any potential threat, as it gently set down its burden in what would have likely passed for the front courtyard of the mansion a century ago.

It was a human, dressed in a black and red tunic. An ouroboros crest was emblazoned across the chest, but it was torn as if by a blade, revealing a bandaged wound underneath. The human appeared to be unconscious, and they groaned softly as they were placed on the ground.

The Bushbeast turned to look at the crumbling mansion. The blue amber in its eye sockets glowed, its face set in some unreadable expression as it turned its attention back at the human laying at its feet.

Call me Ishmael.
21 | Any Pronouns | wandering forest entity that occasionally visits your kitchen

"Is my body really part of the earth, and is the soul just a metaphor?"

Season's grievings to us, one and all!

September 14, 2021 05:11:59  #2

Re: A familiar face in Shiloh’s domain.

Echo peaked out from behind a tree afar from the dhole, curious of what was happening but unsure if it was safe. How does Echo get in these situations and places? Who knows, the Narrator sure doesn't.

She focused on the human, concerned but not yet moving from her spot.

Echo
he/him xe/xem
Hektor's #1 Simp, Live Laugh Love Hektor
lil angst gumdrop
“If he be Mr. Hyde,” he had thought, “I shall be Mr. Seek.”

September 14, 2021 08:54:48  #3

A certain deity is stalking, and it's quite clear who is stalking, because this narrator only has one deity character submitted. He isn't being subtle at all; he's probably only a few yards behind the creature as he follows it.
Hopefully the Bushbeasts still remember who he is and, if so, relay to each other what to do in the event of being stalked by a weird-looking kid with shiny hair and a singular scarlet eye. Or else it might be a bit concerning, seeing as his expression is much more serious than usual. 
Why is he here? Well, ever since Ishmael's death, he keeps trespassing here. It's not like his presence will destroy life around him--he is a life god, after all--so trespassing seems like a completely normal thing to do. What a lawful good deity he is.  

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

September 14, 2021 11:40:16  #4

((Also just to preface, please bear with me if I’ve forgotten some aspects of my OC’s relationships with others, it’s been a while haha))

The Bushbeast had mostly ignored the trailing deity as it traipsed through the forest, but it acknowledged him now. “Hello, Galaxian,” the creature rumbled, though it did not take its eyes off of the unconscious form in front of it. Its voice was likely familiar to the god, but not one that he had heard for a long, long time. 

Huck appeared much the same as he had on the day of Milo’s death when sank into the earth, but the stones that made up his eyes seemed paler, sadder, somehow. The leaves on his body were tinged red on the edges, hinting at the arrival of autumn. “I was not expecting anyone else to be here. I assumed most would have abandoned it when…” he trailed off. Finishing his sentence was too painful.

Call me Ishmael.
21 | Any Pronouns | wandering forest entity that occasionally visits your kitchen

September 14, 2021 11:55:29  #5

The greeting is acknowledged with a nod, made a little less formal by how the god jumps backwards a bit.
Finally, he addresses: "Well, it was the least I could do. Since I wasn't there...uh, before." He rewords his phrase slightly in imitation of what the Bushbeast had said, more out of an acknowledgement of Huck's feelings rather than a complete understanding of how the other is feeling at the moment.
"Why'd you come back?" he finally asks after yet another unnatural pause, probably just to keep the conversation going. His eyes flicker to the currently prone form of the mortal. 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 14, 2021 12:35:52  #6

“This mortal, I—” he paused, struggling for words. “I was dormant, and I felt this distant pull, a call for help. It felt like Ishmael’s summons. But when I emerged at the source, it was not Ishmael at all. Two mortals were battling in a large courtyard of a castle of some sort. This one was hurt badly, and I could sense the pull had come from him. I took him and departed.”

The Bushbeast sat, shaking the ground around him. The mortal shifted slightly in his sleep, and Huck lowered his head to sniff the body. “That was a long time ago. He has not woken since. I have done what I can, but there is some kind of poison in his body that does not respond to my magic. The most I am able to do is keep him alive. I hoped to come here for answers and possibly contact an elder Bushbeast, more adept at healing than I, but I have not sensed any since I have arrived, not even the ancient ones who have been dormant since before my time.”

The mortal bore a startling resemblance to the peace god, though there were minor differences. He was paler, taller, and more muscular than the deity, though most everything else was a spitting image. His expression was remarkably peaceful, given the circumstance.

Call me Ishmael.

September 14, 2021 12:59:56  #7

If Galaxian is startled by the supposed resemblance, he doesn't show it. Considering how he's probably had more than enough time to survey the mortal while following Huck, though, maybe it's not surprising.
"So what about the other mortal?" he asks. "Did he just let you leave?"
Instead of doing the sensible thing, which is just to try to heal the mortal himself, the deity extends his domain-related abilities towards sensing any Bushbeasts around in the area. Though, at the same time, he does risk sensing death in the area, or even just general pain. 
To be honest, it's kind of sensible. He isn't very good at healing most anything. He's better at sustaining life as well. It's kind of weird how he's better at handling near-death injuries as opposed to much lighter ones.
"By the way, I'm not sure you should stay here," he adds with a hint of unease. "You and the other Bushbeasts, I mean. If they're still here as well. Do we really have to stay here to find them?" He mutters under his breath, "I don't want anyone to get hurt."

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 14, 2021 14:59:15  #8

Echo got a bit closer very slowly, wanting to say, "Maybe I can help?" but instead staying quiet as she didn't know when to speak up. Echo knew she could heal with her tears, but she wasn't sure if the healing properties were strong enough for poison. Maybe outside wounds, though.

Echo felt sad seeing the man. Not because she knew Ishmael (she never met him, nor would that matter since most of her memories had vanished), but because the man was wounded, therefore more than likely in pain.

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

September 14, 2021 15:56:36  #9

"If there's something I can do--" an approaching voice said, "--I'll be glad to help."
Germaine came rather quickly from  between some trees on the other side. The overgrown domain had been just in the way of the route she was using before and she'd chosen to go through it. She had been here before once, but aside from an idea of a vaguely familiar location, Germaine did not really recognize the place. Neither was she aware of any matters related to Shiloh or Ishmael besides knowing that the latter was a god. 
She did kind of remember Huck, though. And of course she always has a desire to help.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

September 15, 2021 01:11:32  #10

"Ah, it's been a while since there's been some activity here." A voice says, belonging from Time as he approached the others, giving them all a quick look of greeting "Long time no see, all."

"So, who's this guy?" He points down to the form, "He looks a lot like Ish, kinda."

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

September 18, 2021 22:37:20  #11

Given the carnage that the Firebeasts had wrought on the forest just a year prior, Galaxian should have sensed an abundance of death, if not from people than the forest itself. However, it was as if nothing had happened at all. What should have taken decades or even centuries to regrow and recover was already present.

No sign of any Bushbeasts except for the one in front of Galaxian.

“I surprised him, I think. It was all very fast, I didn’t have time to think, myself. I took this one on instinct, but the other man...” Huck’s eyes narrowed at the memory. “He had an odd aura. Something was profoundly wrong with him. Was not natural— not in the way deities are, but twisted and warped.”

The Bushbeast glanced around at the others that had made an appearance. He was beginning to get a bit antsy as well. Despite the forest being completely empty other than the assembly in front of the mansion, he had a distinct feeling of being watched.

”I am not sure who he is,” Huck replied to Time. 

Call me Ishmael.

September 18, 2021 23:07:47  #12

Galaxian clamps his hand over his mouth quite forcefully, not saying anything further. He does weakly wave (mostly to Germaine), indicating the mortal on the ground.
Okay, time to slightly change tact. He's about to double over from all the deaths. To be honest, he walked right into that, even if figuratively. 
I think we should leave, he interrupts telepathically. Since when was it up to Galaxian to talk telepathically while a Bushbeast talks aloud? Who knows. Maybe it's because of all the change that has happened this past...whatever amount of time.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 19, 2021 08:48:36  #13

Why? The story's just getting interesting. Yep, Ark's here too. He's sitting in an empty window, watching the proceedings. The soul god seems quite interested in the state of the human, assuming they are a human.

Last edited by ThreePunchAxel (September 19, 2021 08:48:53)

Axel
"Martial arts is... a way to move all cool like?"
Live like nobody's watching
I aten't dead
If i was rich, I'd fill up a room with buttons, and then when you pressed them they'd make satisfying sounds

September 19, 2021 12:08:23  #14

Sure, goes Galaxian's voice in telepathy, just a lot more deadpan than he can usually manage it. But if we do get attacked in this place, it's probably the least advantageous terrain we could be in. There aren't any Bushbeasts here, at least those who want to be found, anyways.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 19, 2021 22:40:48  #15

Time frowns over to the other Magic god, since you know, usually Time doesn't approve of whatever he does, but also y'know...

Anyways, Time decides to speak out loud, "Ark is right. It's just starting to get interesting. A warped aura? This mysterious person? Certainly compelling," He says, "The way we get to know more is curing this guy. So, any other ideas since there are no other Bushbeasts in the area? Maybe a deity can try diagnosing and healing. I'm willing to give it a try. Can't guarantee it, though."

Time

September 19, 2021 22:45:17  #16

Echo spoke up quietly because she felt a bit overwhelmed, as well as foolish when she announced her ability aloud, "I have healing tears, if that helps any... but I dunno how much they can do."

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

September 20, 2021 04:22:44  #17

Huck looked over at Echo as she spoke. “You are welcome to try,” he said, stepping back slightly from the unconscious mortal.

The Bushbeast’s attention switched to the surrounding trees, scanning them for anyone else who may have been lurking about. He either wasn’t paying attention to the telepathic conversation taking place, or was ignoring it. Satisfied the mortal was protected and in good hands for the moment, he stood and started to plod off into the forest once more. He had an old friend he wanted to visit.

Call me Ishmael.

September 20, 2021 05:22:43  #18

Echo very carefully stepped over, leaning down beside the mortal. Assuming the mortal is not wearing gloves or something covering his hand, Echo took one of his hands (if something like cloth was covering his hand, she obviously would remove it). Luckily, Echo didn't have to ask for the man's bandages to be removed as her tears didn't require to have to touch the wounds.

"...I'm going to cry now," Echo announced in monotone, already teared up. And then she cried, because, well, that's what she was suppose to do.

Assuming there isn't anything blocking the healing, the largest wound would only heal half-way at best, while smaller wounds like scrapes and cuts would heal but leave temporary, waxy scars. Tbh this part is up to Narrator Ishmael, so *shrug*.

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

September 20, 2021 13:39:24  #19

"Whoah." Ark is quite impressed. So impressed in fact, that when he leans forward to look closer he falls out the window and lands on his face.

Axel
I aten't dead
If i was rich, I'd fill up a room with buttons, and then when you pressed them they'd make satisfying sounds

September 20, 2021 13:46:40  #20

Technically he knows full well that they could accomplish what they're doing outside of the domain, but what's he to say when others are dead set on staying here? Maybe wanting to leave was selfish in the first place. Others don't feel what he feels, after all. 
Galaxian grimaces to himself and steps backwards a little, away from the rest of the group. 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 20, 2021 19:03:55  #21

"Oh, where are you going?" Time asked Huck.

He then notices Galaxian leaving, and remembers why he might be backing up, "We could relocate to a more secure location if needed."

Time

September 23, 2021 03:35:59  #22

As the healing magic took effect, the mortal’s breathing eased, as did his peaceful expression, which sank into a frown. He mumbled something incoherent and began to move a little more. It seemed that bit of healing was all he needed to start coming to.

“Checking something.” Huck rumbled back at Time. As he continued through the trees, he continued to try to sense the presence of other Bushbeasts. The fact that they were nowhere to be found troubled him deeply. He was supposed to protect them, after all. If something had happened to them all while he was dormant… he couldn’t bear the thought of losing them, as well.

The Bushbeast stopped on the edge of a break in the trees, maybe 30 feet in diameter. A small patch of blue and purple hyacinths flourished in the sun, still in bloom despite it being well past spring. Plants created for a Bushbeast burial often behaved oddly, and Milo’s burial site was no different. Huck sat down, staring at the flowers with a sorrowful intensity.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When Huck had gone dormant after Milo’s death, Ishmael would come to the flower grove, sit, and talk for hours at a time. Huck was never sure if he was talking to himself, to the Bushbeast, or some combination of the two, but it seemed to be therapeutic for the deity, at least. He remembered one day where Ishmael got on to the topic of flowers and the meanings that mortals attached to them.

“Hyacinths are interesting,” the god had said. Although Huck was underground and couldn’t see him, he knew that Ishmael was likely holding one of the flowers in the palm of his hand, gently pulling the petals to see the structure of it. “Some flowers just have a universal meaning, no matter the color. Sunflowers, for instance, usually symbolize worship and adoration, because of the way they turn to follow the sun’s path when they’re young. But hyacinths are more complicated. They can represent play, jealousy, love, peace… but blue hyacinths represent constancy. It’s quite fitting that they’re here. I never saw one of you without the other. That kind of consistency is hard to find.”

The god paused for a moment, perhaps selecting another flower, or just staring off into the distance. “Purple hyacinths are for sorrow, and apologies… forgiveness, if you will. Essentially, the message you’ve sent here is ‘I am here, I am sorry, please forgive me’.”
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I am here. I am sorry. Please forgive me.

Huck shut his eyes, lowering his head as emotion threatened to overwhelm him. He had lost Milo, Ishmael, and now the Bushbeasts were missing. He had nothing left.

Except for the mortal he carried here. He had been drawn to the human for a reason, but he didn’t know why. Maybe he could get some answers, something that might help him find the rest of his species.

With no small amount of effort, the Bushbeast stood, opening his eyes. They glimmered with a newfound determination. He watched the hyacinth field for a moment more, then turned and made his way back to the others.

((He needed a little crisis, it’s good for the soul))

Call me Ishmael.

September 23, 2021 10:30:10  #23

((Good for the Soul indeed))

I suppose after a while, Time looked up to see Huck returning, he expected it was something private, so he decided not to poke further.

"We're thinking of moving to a more secure location soon. Are you ok with that?" He asked Huck.

Time

September 23, 2021 13:47:16  #24

Ark has gotten up, and is walking towards the guy. "Hey, you're finally awake"

Axel
I aten't dead

September 25, 2021 21:50:29  #25

Huck nodded to the deity. “Yes, I suppose that is fine—”

The Bushbeast was cut off by the mortal whose eyes had flashed open at the sound of Ark’s voice. He tried to stand, but given his major wound was only half healed, and he hadn’t been conscious for quite some time, it was more of an awkward stumble before he fell back to his knees on the ground.

“Who are you?” he demanded, his dark brown eyes wide with panic as he looked frantically at the group. “Where is— what is going on?”

He was trying desperately to remember something, anything that lead up to this moment. Things were beginning to piece together, but still blurry in his mind. A beautiful courtyard surrounded by stone walls, a man with stars in his eyes… red-hot pain searing across his body, the earth falling away from his feet…

Was this another fever dream? He didn’t remember passing out, and he had woken up many times before, only to realize he wasn’t awake at all…

The plants around him began to move, responding to the mortal’s distress. They reached out as if to comfort him, but he flinched as one touched his hand. They withdrew slightly and did not advance further, swaying gently, caught in a breeze that didn’t exist.

Call me Ishmael.

September 26, 2021 01:13:10  #26

"Please retain your composure," Time speaks out to the mortal, studying the mortal and his reaction (and the plants' reaction). He takes a knee by the mortal, for more level eye contact.

"We're going to move to somewhere more secure, where your wounds can be fully treated, and then we can answer your questions, and you can answer ours, got it?"

Time

September 26, 2021 03:54:16  #27

The mortal would have scooted away from Time, had he had the strength to do so. He settled with giving him a wary look. 

Huck took a small step forward, also wary. “Please listen to Time. This place is not one we should linger.”

If this was a fever dream, a giant talking tree creature fit right in. The mortal sighed. “I don’t suppose I have a choice,” he replied.

Call me Ishmael.

September 26, 2021 11:14:31  #28

"I suppose my place will work. Does anyone have any objections?" Time said, standing up, he started to trace a circle in the air. Which was followed by lines of golden magic, which then spread out and opened into a full portal. Big enough for Huck to fit in as well.

On the other side, it seemed to be an infirmary in the Clocktower, "Anyone here is welcomed inside." He stepped aside for people to start their way in, "Can you carry the mortal? Huck?"

Last edited by Time (September 26, 2021 11:15:03)

Time

September 26, 2021 12:01:49  #29

Galaxian would suggest another dimension, but that's even more suspicious than an actual infirmary in a stranger's domain. He raises his hand. "If Huck can't take him, I can teleport him there along with anyone else who isn't keen with portals," he offers.
As in "anyone else," he means he's not keen with portals.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 26, 2021 12:57:34  #30

Echo looked back and forth from each speaker in the conversation, then Germaine, then back to the mortal. She continued to stare at the mortal with large yet blank eyes, not a thought going through her mind, head empty.

Still staring, Echo stood up and went over to Germaine, grabbing Germaine's hand gently. At this point, Echo was more-than-likely trying to creep the mortal out.

Weird kid, honestly.

Echo
he/him xe/xem
lil angst gumdrop

Board footera