HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2022 11:38:02  #151

Re: The Pequod- Ishmael's Homethread

Ishmael wrote:

I love watching Hermitcraft videos because they'll be talking about mundane stuff while zooming around at mach 5 on an elytra, then go "what the heck is that" and spin towards some half-finished build of a giant Cookie Monster sculpture with elf ears, then shrug it off after a couple seconds and continue speaking nonchalantly about clearing thousands of trees or flattening a mountain by hand or some other wildly insurmountable task like they're going out for milk.

They're so surrounded by each other's excellence that they're almost blind to it and it's so funny to see as a casual player. I won't touch Redstone with a 10-foot pole and they think item sorters are "early game". 

literally nobody is doing it like the hermitcraft server, and thank god for that i don’t think we could handle more than one

Gumy 

(Formerly known as Jade)
(semi-IA)
18 || she/her
plural system (i got guys in my head!)
Enjoyer of Gingkos and Cycads 

September 18, 2022 12:18:28  #152

I think they're an interesting representation because I view the DSMP as having a very strong American media influence just by nature, and that's generally a lot of yelling and explosions.

DSMP is like American reality cooking competition shows where everyone is constantly scheming and backstabbing each other and Hermitcraft is the Great British Bakeoff equivalent. It's definitely a welcome break after I've spent several days trying to piece together lore that I never watched just for context as everyone wraps up all their loose ends in DSMP. They're just out here with nice wholesome pranks that the fanbase can pick and choose to dramatize. I see stuff the Hermits do to each other that's arguably minor and for filler content and know that it would have kicked off a whole other plotline on DSMP and 5 people would have canonically lost a life over it.

But my god I hope they keep Charlie on for writing for whatever they've got planned for the next season in DSMP. He's arguably probably one of the strongest content creators there in terms of raw creative talent and experience in live roleplay/performance/whatever you want to call it, and you can see it in the way he interacts with people in character. He is constantly offering verbal footholds for people to spring off of, and a lot of the DSMP cast struggles with that kind of flow. I think a lot of that is just inexperience on their part, but Charlie is just so fun to watch because I love picking apart the minute stuff about characters and he lays it all out so carefully.

Charlie Slmccl by beloved

Call me Ishmael.
21 | Any Pronouns | wandering forest entity that occasionally visits your kitchen

"Is my body really part of the earth, and is the soul just a metaphor?"

Season's grievings to us, one and all!

September 18, 2022 12:21:16  #153

Also hi I kinda fell off for a little bit, I simply did not have the energy to do anything here

Call me Ishmael.
21 | Any Pronouns | wandering forest entity that occasionally visits your kitchen

September 18, 2022 13:57:04  #154

In all honesty I'm very distant from the DSMP group, not my type of crowd, I think, but is it still going strong? They do seasons now?

oh also yeah hi btw. I can get it, school is some tough stuff

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

September 19, 2022 00:55:52  #155

I'd argue it's definitely past its peak in terms of fandom and content but it is still going pretty strong. The seasons thing is a little weird because it's been used to describe separate "eras" of the server but from what I've seen floating around Twitter recently, there is plans to start fresh at some point. Not sure what that all entails because like I've said before, I make it a point not to interact too deeply with the online fandom because it's pretty freakin hostile over there on a daily basis. I'm hoping things get more organized in whatever they have coming up though because the current plotlines have definitely suffered for it and a handful of the server members that aren't "major" players are frequently pushed to the wayside.

Call me Ishmael.

December 29, 2022 04:43:01  #156

raaaa hello, i have returned and am extremely sorry for falling off the face of the earth in the middle of my own plot. the cycle keeps happening where i get bogged down with work for a single day and the boardhost is suddenly wiped from my memory bc it's not immediately accessible in front of me. im on break until the 5th so let's see what i can do

Call me Ishmael.

December 29, 2022 05:46:49  #157

All good. We’re all busy sometimes.

Axel
"Martial arts is... a way to move all cool like?"
Live like nobody's watching
I aten't dead
If i was rich, I'd fill up a room with buttons, and then when you pressed them they'd make satisfying sounds

December 29, 2022 21:27:11  #158

yeah np. What Axel says!

Last edited by Time (December 29, 2022 21:27:20)

Time

December 30, 2022 02:12:55  #159

Went to my local science center yesterday and I forgot how much fun it is. It was crowded as all hell but I still really enjoyed it. I probably picked up 8 new illnesses because there was hundreds of unmasked toddlers running amok but at least I got to see some dinosaurs

Call me Ishmael.

December 30, 2022 11:57:59  #160

Wish I could comfortably make art without aggravating my carpal tunnel I left my wrist brace back in my dorm and I was trying to mess with some character design and now I'm scrounging around the house for Tylenol 

Call me Ishmael.

December 31, 2022 20:57:04  #161

In character playlist superhell again

Call me Ishmael.

January 1, 2023 02:44:00  #162

I don't really celebrate new years but happy 2023! I get really existential and angsty this time of year but that happens with pretty much anything. Astronomy does that for me too lol

Call me Ishmael.

January 1, 2023 06:08:51  #163

Gotta fix my sleep schedule good lord

But The Roleplay Grind waits for no man and I work best at 3 in the morning eating a copious amount of bell pepper slices and blasting Mars, Bringer Of War in my headphones

Call me Ishmael.

January 1, 2023 15:14:21  #164

When you see another forumer online early in the morning

like last night yes

Time

January 2, 2023 09:14:02  #165

I still love seeing the random guest accounts, it brings me so much joy for some odd reason

Call me Ishmael.

January 3, 2023 06:53:39  #166

Stardew Valley makes me so anxious and relaxed at the same time. I'm farming to my heart's content but that heart is also beating 120 times a minute

Call me Ishmael.

January 3, 2023 11:09:18  #167

I thought it was supposed to be a relaxing game, not one of those scary games. What's got you so anxious, the plants not getting water?

Time

January 3, 2023 16:27:19  #168

Ishmael wrote:

Stardew Valley makes me so anxious and relaxed at the same time. I'm farming to my heart's content but that heart is also beating 120 times a minute

feel this, i'm running like 20 something mods that collectively make me a lot less anxious to play it

xenon 
he/him || 19 || god of scones || your local rebel noble gas

January 3, 2023 18:36:25  #169

My biggest thing right now is I have two files I'm playing. One of them I'm trying to finish the community center (you give it certain items and get other items/upgrades in return) as fast as possible which means I have a somewhat strict timeline in which I have to collect/do things. I don't really mind it all that much but my other save file is a lot looser so I can just mess around and learn mechanics and just experience it at my own pace. The problem is I'm trying to do 8 things at the same time and never write down what I'm doing. Every time I log back in I spend 20-30 minutes figuring out where I left things and what I need to do, but I am awful at sticking to a goal because I'll walk into a new area and immediately forget why I went there in the first place. I spent two real-life hours fishing when I originally was going to buy seeds at the store and never did lol

@xenon what are some mods that you have? I've been meaning to look into them but that's overwhelming in and of itself as well haha

Call me Ishmael.

January 3, 2023 18:41:45  #170

In other news, my dad is the primary caretaker of my houseplants while I'm at college but some of them are having issues with fungal infections/mildew

I wanted to take some back with me because I got some grow lights for Christmas (majority of them are succulents/cacti and wouldn't do well in the natural light of my dorm, especially in winter) but I'd have to individually treat and quarantine all of my plants before I'd even think of getting them out of the house and I'd rather not introduce spores of god-knows-what into my dorm

Call me Ishmael.

January 3, 2023 21:50:20  #171

Ishmael wrote:

@xenon what are some mods that you have? I've been meaning to look into them but that's overwhelming in and of itself as well haha

yeah it was definitely overwhelming at first for me too. i started looking at mods because i for some reason cannot figure out the mechanics of the fishing minigame, so i got a mod to auto-complete that for me. some other quality-of-life and maing things easier mods i have are:

- harvest with scythe (does what it says on the tin, makes harvesting a lot faster because you don't have to individually pick each crop and since my crop areas are pretty big in my current farm it makes things easier)
- billboard anywhere:  you can access the billboard and calendar on the front of pierre's store from your e menu, very helpful so you don't have to go running back and forth when you forget stuff
- npc map locations:  shows where npcs are on the map, also helpful for finding people quickly
- lookup anything:  hover your mouse over a thing and press f1 and it gives you the details (if it's a fish, when it's caught, what it sells for, etc, if it's a crop, how many days until harvest, all sorts of stuff). super useful when i was trying to complete the community center so i wouldn't have to look on the wiki for every little thing. also gives you lists of favourite items and stuff for npcs. it's amazing. you can also press f1 + shift and type in the name of something if it isn't available to hover over
auto gate:  automatically opens gates for you when you walk by them. was made so you don't have to get off your horse to open gates but as someone who struggled with timing it right to be able to walk through it, made things so much easier
data layers:  press f2 and you can see all sorts of data like where your scarecrows and beehives cover, what crops are watered, what area your sprinklers cover, etc. 
automate:  this is one of the ones that's a little cheat-y, but you can link chests and machines so things auto-process in and out of them. for example i have a shed that's filled to the brim with preserves jars, and there's one chest i fill with crops and they auto-feed into the preserve jars, and once they're done processing they go int a second chest that's for output. you can also program it (either in the config.json file or with another mod that is so much more user friendly lol) to use paths as connectors, so i have all my fruit trees linked with a cobblestone path into a chest so it auto-collects fruit. saves me so much time
generic mod config menu:  menu on the load screen that lets you toggle mod options from a menu, rather than going into the config.json files
chests anywhere;  also kind of cheaty but a lifesaver if you forget things in chests often. you can access every chest you have either by pressing b or by clicking on any chest. this and automate is how my farm runs basically
stardew notifications:  last one for now bc i just realised this is a lot lol but! gives you notifications each morning of npc birthdays, festivals, salmonberry/blackberry seasons, travelling merchant arrival, if a day is lucky or unlucky, when living off he land or queen of sauce airs, and probably some other stuff i'm forgetting. also a lifesaver for forgetfulness 

xenon 

January 8, 2023 23:12:37  #172

Those sound really useful, I'll have to take a look at them once I'm back in the swing of college again

Speaking of, I decided to pick up a Communications minor (almost entirely because there was nothing useful for me to take this semester for my major. gotta love teeny colleges) and I registered for the 101 class completely neglecting to realize it was a public speaking course. I'm going to go and feel it out but I'm 2 seconds away from dropping the course and going for an upper level biology or art course that I also don't need. I would rather run a barefoot marathon on LEGOs than do one speech for a grade, let alone the FOUR the class requires but I'm pretty sure  I need it for the minor. Which sucks a lot but I don't really know what I was expecting lmao. I'm going at it from more of a community management angle than anything else. I know it's a means to an end but I might drop it purely because I don't know if I'll have the spoons to take it in the winter when I'm already struggling with rolling out of bed in the morning. I guess we'll see.

What sucks is that I'm aware my anxiety over it is disproportionate but I can't just ignore it. I speak in front of groups just fine as long as it's in a somewhat informal setting but as soon as there's an inkling that I'm going to be graded/officially judged for performance over content, I freak out. I've dropped other classes in the past over it lol

All this to say that I may not respond to posts for a couple days while I figure things out but feel free to carry on

Call me Ishmael.

January 9, 2023 01:55:51  #173

Oh I get you Ish, however I think it may just be the opposite for me.

I'm comfortable in official settings and giving public speeches because usually you have a set point to prove or a goal. People are required to have some level of professionalism or respect. I haven't come across anyone yet that will tear you to shreads. I am expecting to at some point, but for most of my time when speaking officially, people will be respectful. Or at give respectful criticism at the worst. I this in your experience as well?

But once it's informal, I think I trip up more since there isn't always a set goal for informal conversation.  I don't have talking points prepared and whatnot. There are much more factors than just what I talked about, but I think I'm weaker in talking informally in public.

You mind me telling of my thoughts on the subject?

Time

January 9, 2023 13:48:27  #174

The formality is what gets me, I think. I have a poor sense of expectation (or at least I think I do) so knowing I'm being formally evaluated on expectations that I may not fully understand or misunderstood is what riles me up a little. I think it also just goes hand-in-hand with my anxiety in general-- I hate the fact that I am perceived by others and have no control over their perception of me. It all boils down into wanting people to like me I guess which I know isn't healthy but it's how I've functioned my whole life [shrug]

If I mess up in an informal setting, like I stumble over my words or I have to backtrack and start a sentence over, it's something that's usually considered okay and no one thinks anything of it. I do those things often and it gets even worse when I'm nervous, so I know I'm going to make a mistake at some point but I don't know when. 

Though when I'm speaking to a large group informally, it's usually when I'm teaching, and it's a subject I'm intimately familiar with. This class wants me to write a poem or song for one of my speeches, which are things I'm unfamiliar and uncomfortable with.

Call me Ishmael.

January 9, 2023 17:31:00  #175

My dorm’s heating isn’t on so it’s absolutely freezing in my room, and my carpal tunnel is kicking my ass recently which is a recipe for disaster for my hands but I wanted to whip up a sloppy ref sheet for my deity I haven’t introduced yet and half of the reason was it’s just a giant hare and I think it’s funny

Call me Ishmael.

January 10, 2023 22:10:38  #176

i 100% feel you on the public speaking class, something about the pressure of graded performance really ramps up anxiety

also janus is Tall! Enormous hare

xenon 

January 11, 2023 01:24:58  #177

Ishmael wrote:

This class wants me to write a poem or song for one of my speeches, which are things I'm unfamiliar and uncomfortable with.

Oh NAH. Same here. I wouldn't know what to write if it had to be a song, or talking about a favorite song. I wouldn't know what to talk about.

Though at least the writing a poem may be easier since it isn't really meant to be sung and you can write a lot of things as a poem... Still, I can see the challenge behind it. I do wonder how you're supposed to even speak on that stuff for like, 10 minutes or however long the requirement is.

I realize another reason that I am more ok with formal speaking is because I've had lots of practice. I used to be one of the most quietest speakers when I was younger. I think lots of me practicing my speeches by myself has really made me more comfortable with public speaking. I think it's also my dad. He's a really charismatic speaker and can give me tips.

Time

January 11, 2023 01:25:21  #178

but anyways, that's a weird looking dog you have there Ish. Very nice.

Time

January 11, 2023 23:12:37  #179

Looking back on the syllabus and asking for clarification, turns out I don’t have to write a poem or song, I simply have to find one at least 40 lines long and read it. Not sure what that does for me but I will now have significantly fewer and less severe panic attacks about this class bc that was the thing that was really awful for me 

Call me Ishmael.

January 12, 2023 01:49:37  #180

Oh wait what?? Just a recital of something that's 40 lines long? Much better and relieving, I agree.

I assume from memory, though? hopefully not

Last edited by Time (January 12, 2023 01:52:18)

Time

Board footera