HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 22, 2022 18:44:39  #151

Re: [@Specter] Nagesh and Laurie are heading for the meeting...

Laurie stayed silent during that exchange, but she smiled a little.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 22, 2022 18:53:12  #152

"So then, let's get back to the internet password discussion," Nagesh transitions seamlessly, "shall we?"
Yeah, as part of the many tangents of this meeting. The narrator's not sure if that's a good thing or not.
After garnering a presumable "Yes" response from the others, he suggests (half-jokingly), "Perhaps we could incorporate the last discussion into it. What I garnered from that aspect of the conversation was that all of us could likely work on our food-chopping skills."

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

June 22, 2022 19:01:57  #153

Laurie sweat-drops silently and invisibly. She wasn't that bad at chopping food, right? The recipe must have been the problem.
In the end she decided it was probably best to focus on what Nagesh would say about the password instead of thinking about how it could relate to cooking.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 22, 2022 21:37:04  #154

Manai just groans outright.
"You tease all of us," Chiyoko suggests, folding her hands primly in her lap. 
"Of course I do," he admits, smiling still. 
The deity present is unperturbed by the teasing. He either doesn't understand, doesn't register it as teasing, or doesn't think much about it. "So, how would that work?" he asks. "Is there a specific thing we would chop? If that's it, wouldn't we have to see it somehow?"

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 23, 2022 10:49:54  #155

"...vegetables?" she suggests.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 23, 2022 17:25:19  #156

Their wifi password is going to end up resembling a mobile cooking game.
"What vegetable...sss?" Galaxian asks her.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 23, 2022 21:13:00  #157

"Potatoes, corn, carrots..." she trailed off as she lifted a finger for each item mentioned.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 24, 2022 03:39:03  #158

Manai looks a little surprised. "Corn can be chopped?"
Clearly she wasn't paying attention during some restaurant visit.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 24, 2022 07:32:18  #159

Laurie nodded. "Yes, it can."

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 24, 2022 18:12:19  #160

"Oh oh, I thought it could only be eaten on the cob," she says, laughing a little at the notion. It seems a little ridiculous now that she thinks about it.
"If we were to chop the corn, you would have to teach all of us how to do so first," Nagesh informs Laurie, adding with a grin: "I personally have not the knowledge."

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 24, 2022 18:48:42  #161

"It is as simple as taking the corn and cutting it," she explains. "Many things can be chopped, easily or not."

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 24, 2022 18:53:48  #162

Nagesh tilts his head while moving his arm slightly. "I cannot tell if that means corn in particular is hard or easy to cut. In terms of customization, do you think it would be easy to design cutting it for the purpose we're speaking of?"

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 25, 2022 20:16:26  #163

She thought for a couple seconds before replying again. "I believe so. Neither dividing the corn into cylindrical sections or dicing the unattached kernels should be hard tasks."

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 25, 2022 20:18:24  #164

((Just in case you don't know, both of those options are perfectly possible, though I don't think it's recommended to chop kernels by themselves. I use the first option of corn sections when doing soups sometimes.))

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 26, 2022 01:44:48  #165

(Yeah, thanks for letting me know that!)

"I believe what Nagesh is trying to ask is...is corn a suitable choice as a password?" Chiyoko speaks somewhat awkwardly, but at least she does get the gist of it.
"Yes, I'm sorry if I was speaking vaguely," Nagesh agrees, with a nod. "Passwords are meant to not be easily accessible, correct? So, I was somewhat concerned about the guessable--or unguessable--nature of setting corn as our vegetable in this case." Perhaps hoping to avoid further ambiguity, he further specifies: "For instance, supposing that there is some sort of visible prompt for the password, what would that prompt be? Would there merely be a chopping board? Or would there already be a cob of corn there? Would there be a knife? If so, would that knife be suitable for everyone?"
it's funny how the mere mention of a knife can make Galaxian's brows scrunch up. "Knives aren't good," he says, almost like he's making an announcement.
Nagesh nods. "Indeed not, in certain cases."
"Would there not also be the issue of chopping the corn becoming redundant?" Chiyoko brings up. She's using enough energy to keep up with the conversation, so she's not going to follow up on the goodness or badness of knives for now.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 26, 2022 23:52:15  #166

"Excuse me if I'm understanding the matter all wrong, but... do you mean that the password would consist of us chopping corn?"

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 27, 2022 02:20:25  #167

"Indeed," he responds curiously, followed by what might qualify as the most clueless look ever for a man who is pondering chopping corn as a substitute for passwords or identification information.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 27, 2022 08:51:27  #168

"Very well then. I understand the general idea now. In that case, I vote for a chopping board as the password prompt."

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 29, 2022 21:43:43  #169

Manai's fiddling with her Kindle while the conversation continues.
"I apologize, but I...am...not sure about the practicality of this setup," Chiyoko finally admits, moving her hands back to her lap again. 
"It could be experimental," Nagesh informs her. He seems easygoing enough with all of this. "Would it help if I were to set up a visual model for you?"
She laughs lightly. "I am not sure."
"Well, it probably won't hurt," Manai pipes up, still keeping her eyes on something on the screen. She looks back up for the model in question.
"I agree. Well, here." Nagesh turns one hand palm-up and summons something. "A corn."
"That's a radish," Galaxian corrects, staring intently at it. "A very cylinder-y one, with...uh..." he continues staring at it.
Indeed, it's a very cylindrical radish. With kernels. The image is slightly cursed, not going to lie.
Nagesh stares at his own creation for a few more moments. His expression is strangely deadpan. It seems he's trying really hard not to laugh at himself.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

July 4, 2022 08:03:08  #170

"I believe that is no radish, but a completely new vegetable instead."
Laurie's eyes reflected both confusion and curiosity. What an interesting ability, to be able to create new vegetables out of seemingly nothing.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

July 4, 2022 17:17:34  #171

"Is it really." He says it deadpan as well, but a smirk is beginning to form at the edge of his mouth.
The deity present is staring at the radish like he's expecting it to grow googly eyes. 
"Here's a corn for reference," Manai offers helpfully. Apparently she had expected this to happen to some degree, since it appears she had been searching for a picture of corn--out of the preexisting image gallery, since the internet still doesn't exist yet--while the others were talking. She angles the image at Nagesh, who manages to take his sight off of his newly created vegetable abomination to reference it. The picture's of a white corn--definitely some sort of joke on Manai's part--though one wonders why she would save a picture of white corn in the first place. Ah well, guess that's just the kind of person she is.
"I see." He swallows back the majority of his impending laughter and leans forward a bit. "Well then, shall I presume that I can pretend that episode never happened?" he asks straightforwardly. "Or would one of you like to keep it as a souvenir of some sort?"

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

July 7, 2022 08:00:23  #172

Maybe someone else would want it, but Laurie didn't, and even if she had, she wouldn't have known what to do with it other than try to cook it. The radish-corn event was something Laurie wouldn't forget soon. Unless Nagesh explicitly said to not remember what happened.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

July 7, 2022 14:11:05  #173

Manai reaches out for it once she sees no one else wants it, and Nagesh doesn't ask what she wants to do with it. He uses his other hand to summon an actual corn cob. Efficient man.
He spends a little time messing around with it, explaining to Chiyoko to the best of his ability what they've been discussing, either with words or with a more visual prompting (he's able to cut the corn like Laurie described, for instance, which might be helpful). Though, the narrator suspects she wasn't so much confused with what they wanted to do with the passcode, compared to why they had gotten to this point. In any case, she listens politely, glancing at the others once in a while for an answer to a question or to seek affirmation.
Having finished his little session with Chiyoko, Nagesh asks the entire group, "So, were there any discernible issues from this idea that could be seen?"
Galaxian, for his part, shakes his head, though he might not be the most rational one when it comes to things like this, being a god and all.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

July 15, 2022 18:25:48  #174

No objections or issues from Laurie's part. She had understood the matter better with Nagesh's explanation to Chiyoko.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

July 24, 2022 18:21:26  #175

"It looks good to me!" Manai pipes. "We can do a test run soon, so if any issues pop out then, we can address them."
Chiyoko nods in agreement to that. 
"Alright, then let us move forward with that phase," Nagesh affirms. 
"You got it!" Manai doesn't waste any time, probably cognizant of the topics they might have left to cover (and especially cognizant of how both Nagesh and Chiyoko quite prefer efficiency). Closing her eyes briefly, her fingers dance across the screen of her Kindle. She ends the tapping sequence by returning to the home page and typing on an icon--someone from the Modern Sect would have recognized it as Settings--and she grins triumphantly.
"All set up!" She beams at the others. "Testing phase is a go. I'll go last. Shu-san, if you could please...?"
Their synchronization is extremely on point. As soon as the girl finishes her inquiry, her tablet whisks away from her hands and floats towards the center of the room. Yep, floating tablets are a norm here too, apparently.

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

July 28, 2022 07:59:43  #176

Watching Manai being so proficient with her tablet sparked a sense of wonder in Laurie. She could learn to use one of those too, memorizing the meanings of the little colorful square shapes and using her fingers to command the device to do her bidding.
Laurie followed the tablet's movement with her eyes.
Of course, Manai was more the type to embrace novelty with ease. In her own case it would likely be more of a trial and error as she got wowed again and again by each new feature. It had happened in her first time to the modern sect. Too intrigued by the architecture and people walking around, Laurie had neglected to memorize the paths, and would have been lost for a good while had Manai not been by her side. At least, that's the way Laurie saw it.
Laurie continued to remain attentive to the current actions in the room.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

July 29, 2022 01:52:48  #177

Galaxian stares at the tablet as well, though it somehow seems as if he's not looking at it at the same time. The reason can be ascertained a moment later, when he speaks. "The underlying mechanisms look good to me."
Nagesh nods. "I agree. The structural integrity beneath the system function is intact, ensuring further reliability."
Chiyoko looks at those two like they're speaking another language, which they may as well be. Manai just laughs, maybe used to it at this point. 
"I can also test and maybe add some little tweaks later," the girl informs as she waits for a testing volunteer. She beams. "We'll make this a really good internet connection. Maybe the best. Then we could all say we have the best internet in all of Forengard. Maybe even further."
"That would lead back to the issue mentioned before," Nagesh points out with a grin. "Others would want to use that connection, and we haven't publicized a version of this yet."
"Oh yeahhh, right," Manai goes. She fakes a little sigh. "There goes our bragging rights, then."
"For now," Chiyoko reassures.
"Yeah, for now," she answers. She doesn't have to brighten from the reassurance; she never went the other way in the first place. She grins. 
"So, Chiyoko or Laurie, would you like the honor of being the next test sub--wait, no, that sounds ominous." She tilts her head this way and that. "Internet tester? Yeah, that's it."
"I need another demonstration before I can do it," Nagesh explains helpfully to the two young women. He tries his best to fake a dramatic sigh like Manai did. "This so-called 'technology.' I am too old. I can't keep up with you young ones."
He's obviously joking, since the tablet is now spinning slowly around like it's on a fancy display table, and the internet prompt is already pulled up. Meaning, of course, no one would really have to do anything. Unless they're extremely horrible at technology-ing. 
...by the way, no offense intended if something does go wrong. 

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

August 7, 2022 21:20:54  #178

"I volunteer as internet tester if Chiyoko does not want to try. If she does, I give her the honor of being the tester."
Laurie straightened in her seat, getting ready to stand up. She looked at Chiyoko, expecting an aswer.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

August 8, 2022 18:57:51  #179

"Thank you. I will try my best," Chiyoko answers, straightening at about the same time. She lets her shoulders slope more before standing up and heading for where the tablet is. When she gets to it, she stops and stares a bit at it until it slowly stops spinning. Then, she picks it up and holds it, albeit a little awkwardly.
"Let's see..." she murmurs. "Don't click on 'Cancel,' click on 'Open password prompt,' and then..."
She blinks. Her brows scrunch together a little.
"Oh, dear," she murmurs. 
Manai's all perked up as she listens to Chiyoko's comments.
"...That is indeed a cob of corn," the young woman continues commenting. She doesn't necessarily look uncomfortable, but she doesn't necessarily look completely at ease, either. She closes her eyes. "I would personally suggest closing one's eyes for this. It may be disorienting for some."
"Okay," Manai answers cheerfully, mentally noting the possibility of adding a reminder for that in the prompt.
"It seems to work otherwise," Chiyoko finishes. She re-opens her eyes and moves the tablet a bit to show the others the screen. They're all scattered around the room, so they probably can't actually see it, but the internet connection symbol is there now, alongside the connection name FeliX235. "I will disconnect from the connection and re-open the prompt now. Laurie, would you like to stand up, or shall I pass this to you directly?"

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 30, 2022 14:16:06  #180

Laurie followed Chiyoko's movements and expression. The password seemed to be a success, judging from the lady's reaction.
"I will go," Laurie replied promptly, standing up and heading towards her companion. She'd do her best.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

Board footera