HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2022 00:09:09  #571

Re: Galaxian and Eliza's Chat Thread (you know the rules and so do I)

I boiled some fine rice last week with it if that counts

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

September 17, 2022 08:41:16  #572

I don't see why it shouldn't

Your local Kacchan-obessesed Quirkless Failure

"We build a giant Hatsune Miku mech and get Shinji to pilot it." ~Me

I have almost 2 creative writing credits to my name and no I won't let anyone forget it

September 18, 2022 01:57:48  #573

Nice :D I have rice to last the week now but I'll see if the rust boils off next time then! :DD

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 18, 2022 14:10:44  #574

Well y'know maybe the prolonged exposure to rice might do something

I have almost 2 creative writing credits to my name and no I won't let anyone forget it

September 19, 2022 01:11:03  #575

Maybe, but press X to doubt xD

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 19, 2022 11:24:58  #576

yeah true

my mom did drop her phone in the pool and kept it in rice for like 12 hours once

it didn't do anything and it was a brand new phone too lol

September 20, 2022 00:33:21  #577

I haven't even told my mom about this and I can hear her laughing
I remember seeing a video debunking this, which is funny because I don't see why it needs to be debunked :'P xD

Did you guys at least cook the phone so it wouldn't go to waste though?

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 20, 2022 11:34:04  #578

Unfortunately no, the phone was still under warranty or something so she got a replacement

iPhone tacos would've been tasty though, shame she didn't keep the dead one

September 21, 2022 02:48:38  #579

I'm surprised warranties cover those things in the first place but I'm trying not to judge xD

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 21, 2022 10:02:58  #580

idk how it works tbh

September 21, 2022 10:57:38  #581

so quick question

are we ever gonna see the rest of that AU you started writing two years ago (:

September 22, 2022 01:06:53  #582

Same, no idea how warranties work in general lol

First I have to ask "Why are you asking" 'cause adding it at the end is always a lil rude, but anyways the answer is "Hopefully you'll at least get to see a bit of the rest." I have no confidence in my writing abilities (and logically so, trust me on this), though I recognize that it might be good practice to use the AU as that--practice--instead of forever doing other things on my own. So, really, I guess "hopefully" really does summarize it! I want to continue it with quality and understand how the pathway of improvement might look like; at this point it's just a matter of seeing how I can learn to actually get on that pathway lol
Glad that you remember btw :') I can't be held accountable but I probably should xD

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 22, 2022 09:22:02  #583

Idk I just randomly remembered it and was like "wait that was a year ago o.O"

I'd say that even if you're not completely happy with it you should post it. I'm not saying this as a way to push for more content: it can genuinely help you write better. I took a novel-writing class last year in which I wrote (the first draft of) a novel over the course of a year and one of the most important things I learned was that "it's okay to write badly."

I promise this'll make a lot more sense in a bit, let me explain. The first draft of any story is, no matter if you outlined it beforehand or not, is always going to be very very rough. There'll be plot holes, weird lines, poor grammar, and maybe an extreme lack of probably-necessary worldbuilding, but that's okay because writing the first draft is really just figuring out the details of the story you're writing. Maybe some scenes you outlined don't fit in how you're writing it, or maybe you realize that you shouldn't have put in that character's story arc so late into the story and now you have to resolve it prematurely.

The trick here is to try not to let that bother you. Do not aim for perfection. This is the first draft, it's okay if it's a little wonky or even if it's a complete dumpster fire that may or may not make sense at all. Fixing the problems that show up comes when you look at your story as a whole and revise it and then write the second draft. Trying to make the first draft perfect is just going to bog you down and then you'll never get anything done.

On top of this, sharing your drafts can be extremely beneficial. You can get feedback about things that other people think could be improved that you didn't see, and outside opinions are always wonderful during the writing process because you, as the writer, spend so much time so enveloped in the writing that it can be hard to step back and look at it critically. And you know what? Maybe it doesn't get past the first draft. That's okay too. If it's a good story, then we'll still be able to enjoy it for the story, despite its writing flaws. 

I can already hear you saying "bold of you to assume I'm good at writing " Stop. Cease this thinking at once. Writing takes practice. I've been writing for years, but does that mean I'm good at it? Pfft, no. But you won't get better if you stay in that little bubble of "I can't do it, I'm not good at it." If anything, "I'm not as good as I want to be, so I'll work to get better." is a mindset that I've tried to adopt and it's probably why I was able to write a novel in the first place or why I was able to get so allegedly good at art. 

This being said, maybe you actually know all of this already and I'm just spouting stuff you already know, or the other likely option that I just did a really bad job of explaining things as per usual, but who knows. Maybe I said something that's helpful to you. If you have any questions about this I'd love to try and answer them, I didn't take this class and almost have a nervous breakdown at the end of summer because I hadn't finished my draft for nothing :D

September 23, 2022 02:03:12  #584

First of all, I really appreciate your post and the time you put into making it. It's inspirational and I probably will look at it in the future as a reminder/reassurance.
But (here the excuses come lol) the thing is, I understand the theoreticals, like how important an improvement mindset is, or how progress/improvement works. The biggest problem on that end is probably how you guys are so positive and supportive when it comes to my writing. I've received some criticism on my art before (and very validly so), but on my writing I don't think I've ever heard anything except focus on what I'm doing well on. When I don't post my writing, it doesn't mean I'm not writing, though I do need to get better at doing it more often too. I just don't post it because I know something's horribly wrong with it, and it always turns out to be a pretty good decision.
Like for this AU, I've actually scrapped the endgoal a few times, and very reasonably so. That's just one example. I don't know if you remember, but I used to post a lot of excerpts, and they tended to be really bad (and also those ones tended to be the ones no one responded to lol). That also calculates into my decision-making when I think about whether I should post something or not. 'Cause even if it's helping me improve, I probably shouldn't be making my friends read a page of garbage. And again, that's talking logically, not to specifically self-deprecate.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 23, 2022 02:04:44  #585

That said! I am definitely up to getting criticism on my writing. I at least understand that bit. I also know that practice makes better. So if I do publish anything, please feel free to criticize it, though please don't just criticize it 'cause my ego is real fragile, surprisingly or not.
Also on a related tangent (I asked this on my homethread before), if I were to write an excerpt, what character of mine would you most want to read about? I can't guarantee I'll be able to draft it, not to mention showing it, but I'd love to hear that from ya :D

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 23, 2022 09:42:42  #586

You're welcome xD I wasn't even sure if my essay was something you'd want to read lol its nice to know that I made some sort of impact

So you're basically saying that we're too positive? Like really? If it is that genuinely makes a lot of sense. I like praise, but that never helped me write better. I remember when I posted my novel draft on my school writing forum and getting a little frustrated when all I got were comments telling me how good it was and not how I could make it better. It kind of falls into the "good things come in small doses" description, I suppose. I can also see it being frustrating when people are just like "keep working on what you're good at <3333" but then you're thinking "BRO HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHAT THAT IS??"

I mean I can't tell you to just...change how you think about things and but just reading your posts I'm detecting a lot of self-deprecation (I sound like a crazy empath now, great xd) and if I had to guess that's also contributing to your "anxiety," for lack of a better word, about posting what you make. I'm gonna be honest, I'm really, really bad about reading threads that I'm not involved in, and I haven't read any of those excerpts (you are now allowed to call me a Bad Friend™), but even if I had, I wouldn't have gotten mad at you for sharing your writing, even if it was (objectively) bad. I think if anything I would have felt really proud of you for working up the nerve to share something that you don't think is worthy of attention. That takes a lot of guts. I still get nervous about sharing things, and I post random stuff I make all the time.

About the actual writing part, if you ever need to talk about your outline/plot, I'm always here to listen. There's no way I would have ever finished my draft if I hadn't ranted about it to multiple people irl and over the internet. They can suggest ideas or ask questions that can jog your brain a little when you're stuck on something. Plus, sometimes it's just nice to talk to someone about a project you're invested in. I may not be the best of help when it comes to thinking of ideas, but I could try :D please give me an excuse to use my creative writing credits i have nothing else to my name I am officially making myself open to whatever ranting or questioning or whatever you may need.

I get the criticism thing. I promise I will (try) not to be too harsh unless you specifically ask for it (another thing I learned from writing classes is that brutally honest opinions on your draft are usually the best, but I completely understand the possible feeling of failure from that. I just got my harshly revised draft back from my aunt and I'm too nervous to open it up despite her saying she really really liked it xd) so I'll hold back from petty critiques like grammar (though I doubt you'll have that problem) and focus on the things that really stand out, and ofc I'll compliment the things I like. I barely have the heart to critique anything even if it really bothers me for fear of hurting someone's feelings ahjgksla

Hmmmmmmmm Ryoo and Kiaane

September 23, 2022 22:39:06  #587

September 24, 2022 02:56:05  #588

I don't think that's what I'm going for. You guys being "too" positive, I mean. I think that I'm a little different from you because I definitely react more positively to praise than criticism. However, and I know how this might sound a little self-centered, it's because you guys are so positive that I become my only critic, and I go pretty hard on myself. So, the problem isn't that you guys are praising me; it's more so that I don't really have anyone to give me criticism, I guess. Your praise encourages me to write more and to post it, but at the same time, it makes me rely on myself for seeing where to improve on--I suppose I could phrase it that way?
Don't worry about not reading my writing. They're public health hazards lol. As for my tendency to self-deprecate, I think it's mostly a healthy thing. It sometimes goes a little bad when my mood steers that way, but all in all it's intended to remind myself to strive for self-improvement and to not get too comfortable where I currently am. I'm not the best at self-improvement or establishing a good mindset, but that's the reasoning if you wanted to know that (you probably didn't).
And by the way, I really enjoy long convos like this lol; sorry for making you type so much tho.

Thanks for the offer! I might just take it up sometime. Though, you might have to repeat it once in a while. I have this thing where I start doubting what others say after a few months. Like take Ryoo and Kiaane's relationship, for instance--I think (hope) that you maybe genuinely don't mind me continually bugging you about them, but holy heck am I insecure lol.
Oh yeah, there's also the fact that I never respond to what others make. That's the rational part, lol.

Yeah, actually giving constructive criticism is hard. I feel that. :/ lol also why I never respond to others' threads...aside from other reasons too of course

Okay, so I expected that answer, and I'm very happy about it, but also I'm wondering if it's because their relationship is the most substantial one between our characters xD

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 24, 2022 02:58:50  #589

Overinterpreting that meme: Hey, at least you're very close to the ground (the objective), and gravity seems to be helping you!
Jk of course xD, that really is how it is. Thanks for sharing it!

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 24, 2022 07:29:08  #590

Okay, so if I interpreted correctly you just don't have anyone else to give you criticism so you do all of it by yourself?
Alright, I'll accept that xD I probably do that with my own stuff a little bit too tbh. Thank you for said explanation.

Oh dude, I constantly feel like I'm pestering people just by talking to them. You're not bugging me, I promise.
hA the problem is getting me to stop typing, not start xDD I like long conversations too

understandable, I also do that but I'm trying to do better even if its a simple response bc I know what it's like when people don't respond to your posts

No it's because it's the best one
obviously

September 26, 2022 02:35:50  #591

Yeah, it sounds a little bad, but pretty much. I've been a little unlucky when it comes to finding people who can read over my writing IRL specifically xD.

The long convo's shrinking tho ): o noes

Super biased but also acceptable xDD

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 26, 2022 15:01:37  #592

Alright. So, what I'd suggest is being open about it when you share your writing. Not just here, but anywhere. Ask for their honest opinions about what they think could be improved. Maybe there was something that didn't really vibe with them. Insisting that you want feedback will make you more likely to get it. Most people don't want to criticize because they don't want to hurt somebody's feelings unintentionally and won't do it unless specifically told, sometimes not even then, but if you make it very clear it sort of removes the mental barrier readers set up of "don't criticize it" and they're much more likely to actually see things that stood out to them, not just bad things but good things, too.

heh I refuse (:<

well clearly you agree with it so I see no problems here

September 27, 2022 01:16:15  #593

Good idea! I'll try stressing the want for criticism next time then. Though, again, my problem atm is that I don't have anyone to read some of the stuff I write, like college essays lol. 

Are you the shrinking convo O_O?

I mean I think I do but it'd be unfair to some relationships, so I think I need more material xD no I'm not trying to con more material lol, nooo not at all

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 27, 2022 10:30:42  #594

Ah yeah that might be a problem xD

hehe (:<

well then we'll just have to invent some new material

September 28, 2022 02:56:35  #595

Yeah xD

0:

Yeah? (((:

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 28, 2022 09:52:53  #596

RIP the Long Convo(TM)

September 29, 2022 00:23:10  #597

Yee
So is there anything big going on for you outside of school? Or inside of it?

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 29, 2022 13:41:39  #598

ummm I started learning Unity so I can hopefully make my video game, that's outside of school

and I'm pooossibly making a graphic novel for creative writing in school this year
as if writing a normal novel wasn't enough suffering for me xDD

oh! and I'm also learning ASL. It's pretty fun

September 29, 2022 13:44:53  #599

That's a lot of stuff to learn :0 good luck with all of it!
Will the graphic novel involve the same characters as the ones you usually show?

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

September 29, 2022 17:58:31  #600

Nope, they're completely new characters! The characters I usually show pictures of like Ariana and Amaranth are for the video game idea.

Actually Freki is one of the main characters for the graphic novel

It's current working title is Nagami and the Gigantic Turtle: Wow Why is It So Big

Board footera