GGaD

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 11, 2022 18:22:41  #541

Re: The Showman's Stage -Axel's homethread part 3

Interesting mental image, Axel
But in terms of the formal discussion, one thing to remember is positioning. The people with the drums and flags are typically at the rear of the army, near the general(s), so if you can access them you might as well just go for the general rather than the guy with a pole and piece of cloth mounted on said pole
Two is honor. Ancient China had a system of ethics for war where armies ambushing each other was perfectly fine but attacking soldiers you shouldn't attack wasn't. It was important to upkeep the reputation of the army towards the people and to maintain credibility towards your own soldiers, so a victory brought about by such a tactic wouldn't be practical in that sense.
That said, obviously war is never as bound by any code as anyone would prefer (and it itself is really shady in nature), so like Time said there most likely were exceptions. I just think in the case of Ancient China, it wouldn't be an established tactic necessarily, and it wouldn't be practical for established armies either.
will say that one of the best ways to disrupt soldier morale in Ancient China was to beat the enemy army up so badly that the flag guy has thrown away his flag (or is running away with the flag torn). That seems to be the aim instead for what I've seen, but Ancient Chinese history is so long that I can't generalize it across the eras lol.

On the flag-as-a-weapon conversation, I immediately thought of Jeanne d'Arc and her Alter version (Jalter) from F/GO. Iirc, both of them use flags as their weapons, but most of the time the cloth part of the flag is wrapped around the pole so it's more of a polearm, and they only unfurl it during specific moments (i.e. while Jeanne is using her Noble Phantasm, Jalter while she's standing in place and using stakes as her weapons instead)
So I think that could answer Time's inquiry.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

December 11, 2022 20:14:00  #542

ThreePunchAxel wrote:

But then what if the guy with the flag was a total badass

like you're an ancient chinese warrior about to commit a warcrime but then you get beat up by the flag guy

I would think those who get to carry the flags are both skilled and respected people since they're meant to carry the flag and be a moral boost.

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

December 11, 2022 20:20:55  #543

the flag bearers could wield the flag like a staff, although they would have to tie the flag to the pole to do so effectively

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAaaaaand i've reverted. Yay! there was too much sand in my lungs, anyways.
I am made of Ash and Bones and a little bit of meat. I can also be called Draki but I am not made of draco yet.
refer to me in the same manner the french refer to flesh.

okay that's all i'm going to cast divine skeleton bone blast now

December 11, 2022 20:23:13  #544

long and short of it don't use a flag for your weapon you're just making every hit so much weaker and less likely to hit, just use a staff or spear instead

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAaaaaand i've reverted. Yay! there was too much sand in my lungs, anyways.
I am made of Ash and Bones and a little bit of meat. I can also be called Draki but I am not made of draco yet.
refer to me in the same manner the french refer to flesh.

okay that's all i'm going to cast divine skeleton bone blast now

December 11, 2022 20:35:12  #545

GalaxianExplosion wrote:

Interesting mental image, Axel
But in terms of the formal discussion, one thing to remember is positioning. The people with the drums and flags are typically at the rear of the army, near the general(s), so if you can access them you might as well just go for the general rather than the guy with a pole and piece of cloth mounted on said pole
Two is honor. Ancient China had a system of ethics for war where armies ambushing each other was perfectly fine but attacking soldiers you shouldn't attack wasn't. It was important to upkeep the reputation of the army towards the people and to maintain credibility towards your own soldiers, so a victory brought about by such a tactic wouldn't be practical in that sense.
That said, obviously war is never as bound by any code as anyone would prefer (and it itself is really shady in nature), so like Time said there most likely were exceptions. I just think in the case of Ancient China, it wouldn't be an established tactic necessarily, and it wouldn't be practical for established armies either.
will say that one of the best ways to disrupt soldier morale in Ancient China was to beat the enemy army up so badly that the flag guy has thrown away his flag (or is running away with the flag torn). That seems to be the aim instead for what I've seen, but Ancient Chinese history is so long that I can't generalize it across the eras lol.

On the flag-as-a-weapon conversation, I immediately thought of Jeanne d'Arc and her Alter version (Jalter) from F/GO. Iirc, both of them use flags as their weapons, but most of the time the cloth part of the flag is wrapped around the pole so it's more of a polearm, and they only unfurl it during specific moments (i.e. while Jeanne is using her Noble Phantasm, Jalter while she's standing in place and using stakes as her weapons instead)
So I think that could answer Time's inquiry.

-Galaxian-

As to positioning, I was thinking there's a flag bearer per division or unit or whatever, since they were used for generals to know who was were, which would also mean they were often in the thick of it. Of course everyone in the unit was told to rally around the guy and protect him, but that would mean he could be often fighting as well.

As to attacking a flagbearer, that's very true. It would tank the reputation of the army. I would assume in some regions/societies, especially ones based on honor or respect, attacking the flagbearer could be a dishonor. But I also assume it was the other way around. It was the unit's job to keep their bearer alive, and if they couldn't dishonor would fall upon them. I could see this viewpoint being more common, as what could you do against enemies who didn't care for respect?

And I think that way of disrupting soldier moral is just a common tactic overall. I'm no history buff, but I feel the mental strain of just crushing the other side with force and power is always devastating.

Yeah, the character that Axel referenced, which started this conversation, in older games had his flag rolled up and used as a staff/polearm as well. But now as of recently, he fights with the flag unfurled, I was kind of wondering how good of an idea is that anyways.

Time

December 11, 2022 20:42:42  #546

This conversation is making me feel like the importance of flag bearers is different culturally, since I wouldn't really think of them as being a "moral boost" in certain periods of Ancient China, with flags mostly being a "Hey you're facing up against this army and if it's known for winning, then you're gonna be intimidated by the sight of their flag lol" sort of thing. Though, being a flag bearer/drum beater (whatever the official terms are) is probably beneficial in that you're not supposed to have to fight. 
Onto further differences, I don't think Ancient Chinese armies would ever prioritize the flag bearers in the actual battle, so I think that's indicative of the "value" (or lack thereof) placed on the role. It's really just there for practicality, so if the flag bearer dies it's just an indication of defeat in general, not the army being incapable in that specific sense.
Are these impressions cultural in the historical sense, or in the video game sense? I know that a lot of video games seem to prioritize "capturing the enemy's flag," which might be contributing to this, but I'm not sure.
I do feel like we're all in agreement for the flag being unfurled as being impractical. Imagine it getting caught in something mid-swing. Yikes.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

December 12, 2022 02:36:12  #547

Well, I'm sure that also plays a role in things too. I'm sure the flag can be indicators on the enemy side on who to avoid due to intimidation by reputation of that specific unit.

I wouldn't know about specific ancient Chinese tactics, but I would think that while a flag bearer may have to fight, I'm sure it's not their primary job, since you know, they're carrying the flag. I'm thinking about it an it's likely they more had to rely on the surrounding soldiers to keep them safe more than anything.

I think that also is very true. If a flag bearer is dead, then that means there wasn't enough soldiers to keep them safe. While you say it's for practicality mostly, I'm sure it brought a lot of moral and intimidation benefits as we talked about.

My impressions are based on what I think makes most sense to me,  as well as my general history knowledge and some light research into the topic.  I ended up skimming mostly about US Civil War and Roman legion flag bearers. I feel while they are different from ancient China,  there are plenty of parallels to make between all sorts of regions

Time

December 12, 2022 05:42:33  #548

I'll figure out a flag fighting technique one day

but in teh meantime thank you for the history information

i love random historical facts

Axel
"Martial arts is... a way to move all cool like?"
Live like nobody's watching
I aten't dead
If i was rich, I'd fill up a room with buttons, and then when you pressed them they'd make satisfying sounds

December 12, 2022 05:45:30  #549

splatoon 3 big run review

wish it was more prevalent but otherwise fun

invading disneyworld/10

Axel
I aten't dead
If i was rich, I'd fill up a room with buttons, and then when you pressed them they'd make satisfying sounds

December 12, 2022 13:28:22  #550

y'all are inspiring me to make a character who uses a flag as a weapon

Your local Kacchan-obessesed Quirkless Failure

"We build a giant Hatsune Miku mech and get Shinji to pilot it." ~Me

I have almost 2 creative writing credits to my name and no I won't let anyone forget it

December 12, 2022 19:09:26  #551

you too?

Axel
I aten't dead

December 13, 2022 09:00:11  #552

i've got a good idea for my new deity

a laid back god of pirates, death, and something else

who wields a flag as their weapon

Axel
I aten't dead

December 14, 2022 00:46:47  #553

Pirate flag?

Time

December 14, 2022 05:56:01  #554

yes

Axel
I aten't dead

December 14, 2022 09:45:58  #555

their ship is crewed by lost souls, and the flag is so the dead can see him/her/them/whatever i decide on, and not become lost

Axel
I aten't dead

December 14, 2022 10:02:49  #556

jojo part 6 was so good

roundabout/10

Axel
I aten't dead

December 14, 2022 11:55:31  #557

Wait is the last part thing out now??

Time

December 14, 2022 12:18:03  #558

ye 

it was good

Axel
I aten't dead

December 14, 2022 18:12:25  #559

i'm glad this community has good mods

Axel
I aten't dead

December 14, 2022 18:39:57  #560

I second this

I have almost 2 creative writing credits to my name and no I won't let anyone forget it

December 20, 2022 09:32:26  #561

there's no good instructions out there on how to make a good spiderman suit

Axel
I aten't dead

December 20, 2022 09:35:35  #562

i wish the world was bigger

like hunterxhunter style, where the continents we know are only a small part of the greater world

or one piece, where everyone knows the world is big, but in order to learn about it you have to go explore it yourself

this planet's too crowded

Axel
I aten't dead

December 20, 2022 13:08:51  #563

ThreePunchAxel wrote:

i'm glad this community has good mods

Wait did something happen

Time

December 21, 2022 09:49:37  #564

no, i'm just glad

Axel
I aten't dead

December 21, 2022 09:50:32  #565

my next character isnt going to die off as easily as my other ones

they're gonna survive

Axel
I aten't dead

December 21, 2022 09:54:52  #566

maybe the deities should have their holiday party

Axel
I aten't dead

December 21, 2022 12:40:27  #567

i hope we get the cd plot going soon

Axel
I aten't dead

December 21, 2022 15:46:56  #568

CD plot? Or the plot we've been kinda planning and then not planning and then planning and then not planning?

Time

December 21, 2022 16:05:23  #569

you mean the only remotely-overarching plot for this thing that's been practically nonexistent for like 2 years?

December 21, 2022 19:02:18  #570

you mean the long running yet short running yet not running yet kinda running plot that we have?

Joking aside, I know it’s already existent. I just wish it would exist more so that Ark could do something besides show up and destroy things

Axel
I aten't dead

Board footera