HIS FORUM NOW

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 18, 2020 02:04:33  #1

Hey Guys (Please come and vote owo)

So, I was thinking how Boardhost only organizes in terms of most recent activity, but some threads still ongoing are down there and not as easily seen. So, I was thinking that we could maybe put categories for the RPing section--either "Finished" or "Ongoing". Once a thread is confirmed to be ended, it'd be moved to "Finished". Btw, this means "Public" would have a Finished and Ongoing category, and Private would have a Finished and Ongoing category.

As usual, this will be held out by votes. The most votes win. If there's a tie, the two options will be left as the only two unless special circumstances arise.

----

My thoughts are below:

Pros:
-We'd be able to see active threads!
-Overall, just more organization to the forum.

Cons of adding them:
-It's actually considerably easier without sub-categories to navigate imo. There are just less clicks. It's not a huge difference, though, imo.
-Some threads are ambiguous as to whether or not they're added. Just for adding to the public threads, going on with the point, they're usually pretty ambiguous unless everyone leaves.

However, the counter to the public thread thing is that we could always put a time limit, like maybe after 3 months the thread is left inactive and no one active further posts on it, it'll have to be moved. There won't be a warning on it, though. We could vote on the time limit if you all agree.

----

Finally, I'd like to know your opinions on how the current RPing system is set up--Public and Private. Before, Specter suggested separating it by Sect. I opposed this because some places can't fit into Sects, while all threads can be either public or private (and if needed, they can be moved in between, e.g. if a thread turns from private to public). However, it's a topic worth mentioning. What do you all think about that?

-Galaxian- 

Should there be a 'Finished' and 'Ongoing' category to the RPing section?

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed
transpired quite regularly

June 18, 2020 02:32:34  #2

Re: Hey Guys (Please come and vote owo)

My suggestion is to make a general category for both labeled Finished Threads. In the same category as Public and Private. That way, as you said, it'd be easier to navigate.
Also, it would avoid cluttering up the categories. The Private section seems to be very popular and it could get full or something.

In any case, I think that another possibility could be marking the finished threads' titles with (FINISHED) or something similar. The problem with this is the character limit for the titles.

Anyways, let's see how it turns out. I'm satisfied wwith the current categorization.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 18, 2020 02:41:27  #3

From what you're saying, I'm interpreting it as just making "Finished" instead of both "Finished" and "Ongoing"? I'm not too sure if keeping threads out of subcategories is allowed, but I'd be for it if it were possible.
I'm opposing that other possibility. It seems impractical due to reasons you already pointed out--if not possible titles might have to be changed--and also because too many Finished threads in a row could discourage someone from continuing to scroll down.

I actually don't recall if this Boardhost has a character limit for all the posts.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 18, 2020 02:42:04  #4

Also, a week will be allowed to vote on this. The vote will be ended, if no ties/special circumstances occur, on June 25th of 2020.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 18, 2020 02:46:41  #5

I'm pretty sure it is possible to have threads in categories out of subcategories. That could work. In that case, we'd not need a category for Ongoing, correct?

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 18, 2020 02:48:40  #6

Yep, what you said.
I could experiment right now. I promise I'll revert it. That way, I could change the poll to reflect current voting options.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 18, 2020 02:52:01  #7

Alrighty, it works. I just need to remember to not leave a redirect link since that's not needed.
Updating voting options:

-It's a small thing but idk if you guys want "Finished" or "Concluded"
-You can vote for just the concluded section now!!

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 18, 2020 02:54:20  #8

Uh oh, sorry guys, the poll can't seem to edited by me
The voting options are there, though!

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 18, 2020 03:00:13  #9

I'd like to update my vote to only the Concluded section now. Concluded sounds like a Good name to me, but let's see what the others say.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 18, 2020 03:03:12  #10

4 votes total.
Yes for both. 50% 2 
Yes for the Public section, not Private. 0% 0 
Yes for the Private section, not Public. 0% 0 
No for both.  0% 0 
Sure, but I want a renaming of the categories (please post the renamed name!) 0% 0 
Galaxian's cool little button for results (if you're not them, please no touchy) 25%1 
Only the Concluded section 25% 1

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 18, 2020 03:29:42  #11

hmmm I wonder who those 4 votes were

June 18, 2020 15:35:15  #12

idk, what if someone wants to post on a thread, but it's in the "finished" section? Like they went inactive for a while, or they're not as active?

Time
Bruh the signature be wacky

June 18, 2020 15:41:37  #13

I think that a thread that goes inactive for three months can be considered finished. Unless one of the roleplayers announces an official hiatus or something like that.
Most finished threads are declared ended by both sides, though.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 18, 2020 15:46:54  #14

No move is permanent. There can be exceptions, but it'll be up to the roleplayers' initiative to revive threads over 3 months old.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 18, 2020 15:57:59  #15

Will the people who voted for No for both justify their vote?

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 18, 2020 17:42:49  #16

WEll then maybe can you note in the description that they can be revived? I would think it would be helpful.

Time

June 18, 2020 17:46:21  #17

I would think that'd be pretty obvious? Like mods can just move threads whenever haha, just as usual, y'all need to ask if you wanted it. And also the editor is being wonk on this post oof

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 18, 2020 22:05:42  #18

Just confirming.

Time

June 18, 2020 22:07:31  #19

Yeah!

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 20, 2020 18:45:32  #20

I know I'm late and all, but I'd like to still put my input if that's alright : )

I think it'd be better to apply this only to the Public threads, mostly because I know that the people I RP with have become inactive. I wouldn't like for three months to pass by and the thread I was still using to be moved to the "Finished" section. However, if it's been three months on a public thread and no one has bothered to respond, I think it'd be fine to move it to the "Finished" sub-category

-❥+ ṘṳṆḕ +❥-
~ She/Her ~
⧔ Secretly a swan ⧕
|•|Artist Writer Whovian|•|

June 20, 2020 22:53:38  #21

yeah I was kinda thinking about that with Rune. Like I agree with Rune.

Using the term, "Finished," or "Concluded" can of course make people shy away if it really wasn't. But of course, we could bring it from the dead or something.

Last edited by Time (June 20, 2020 22:53:53)

Time

June 20, 2020 23:16:26  #22

Technically nothing is definite. I think in private threads people should have more initiative to post (especially the person who's trying to plot on it) on even after inactivity. It's a simple matter to move threads but if I have a vote in this, I'd have to disagree, since Private Threads are dominating the RPing section of this wiki rn. I'm aware most of them aren't finished, but at some point they will be and it'll be a hassle to look for certain ones that aren't, at least in my opinion.
If you guys have a problem with the term "Finished", perhaps we could try to look for another term. Like "Archived"? Idk
Another alternative is for us to extend the time limit. The YS Wiki goes by a six month limit for necroposting. If someone's inactive for half a year, the fact that their thread is still viable is ridiculous in my opinion. Before, I didn't want to go with 6 months because of tracking issues, so I'd personally prefer for the time limit to be between 3 months and 6 months.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 21, 2020 13:44:05  #23

I still say 3 months. A thread can be brought back if the person who started it requests to. In any case, inactivity notices would make it easier to keep track of which people can post and who can't.

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

June 21, 2020 15:44:04  #24

I honestly feel like I should make the inactivity notice thing a bit more prominent but I just,,, didn't want to give it its own category but felt like it should be at the top nonetheless,,, so that explains its current position

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 24, 2020 17:09:02  #25

Last day to vote on this :D. The vote ends tomorrow.
At the moment, there is one vote (not counting my own) for only adding the "Concluded"/"Finished" section to both "Public" and Private, 4 for adding both "Concluded"/"Finished" and "ongoing" for both sections, 2 votes for only adding both "Concluded"/"Finished" and "Ongoing" to the Public Section, 2 against adding "Finished"/"Concluded" to either.
If you would like to change your vote or add further reasoning, please post uwu.

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 24, 2020 19:48:16  #26

ARCHIVED

Archived is cool

Time

June 24, 2020 20:31:20  #27

:D

-Galaxian-

The unlikely
and the unimaginable

have indeed

June 24, 2020 23:30:16  #28

I'd just like to mention that not adding an "ongoing" category to either section  would make navigation much easier (one less click/tap to view the threads) but it may just be that I'm lazy .

Specter
Your loyal crewmate.
Totally not an
imposter.

Board footera